University of Charlotte (Name Change Now)

We should put together a letter to the Niner Times (and maybe the Observer/other news sources) re: Referendum 1.

2 Likes

Step 1 is being executed. Let’s keep it up.

1 Like

I spent 10 minutes this past weekend trying to explain to a Pitt graduate that we
are not a branch of UNC (Chapel Hill), but part of the UNC system.

Still not sure she got it.

I am always entertained by how people don’t understand that. Even those in similar systems (Nebraska, Wisconsin, Minnesota) can’t understand how the system is set-up.

1 Like

Yeah, at some point I just chalk it up to stupidity.

I’m interested to hear what some of the professors have to say about the name change once Phil is gone. I know there are several over the years that have their work credited publicly to CHeat.

I’m sure some exploit the confusion intentionally, same as alums.

Edit: and I imagine some honestly think they’re at a branch campus.

It really is confusing to a lot of fairly smart people.
To easy to just chalk it up to stupidity.

No, if you cant understand this…you’re not very smart.

1 Like

I am inclined to agree with you, but using your logic i guess there are a lot of dumb people out there.
Since we are the group with the problem, makes me stop and think,
who is not very smart here?

WE dont have a problem. I dont care much about the confusion of stupid people.

1 Like

I agree with BigTime on this. Who actually has the problem? It’s us. We can do something about this, but don’t. Change the name of our university and you will no longer have to explain that we are not a satellite campus of UNC Chapel Hill.

1 Like

Damn they changed it.

1 Like

If you’re referring to the hyphen, it’s still in the actual article. I should probably grab a screen shot.

It used to say University of North Carolina in Charlotte.

2 Likes

When I opened it, it still did.

2 Likes

Need Dale Halton on board

Judy probably supports it because she understands the branding problem. I bet Dale would side with her or something like this.

The one thing Judy was right about was the name. She once told me the biggest block to conference movement aside from participating alumni (donating, season, tickets, watching in tv) was our name. She said once people get on campus they are amazed but that name was a massive road block. I have no doubt she and Dale support this.

8 Likes