University of Charlotte (Name Change Now)

The opinions of graduates who have completely disconnected from the University also shouldn’t be a factor. If you don’t donate or participate you are completely disengaged.

1 Like

I don’t know that is true. Those graduates still have UNCC on their diplomas and deal with the confusion. Now, whether they like the confusion (which is a horrible reason) and whether that is a good thing (it isn’t) are different arguments. But they are still people who have experience dealing with “UNCC.”

I think it’s probably a better statement to say that the opinions of those who have disengaged from the university should be weighted with the knowledge that they may not be as plugged in to the University’s advancement, expansion, and branding (or lack thereof) in recent years, so they may not be as attuned to the needs of the university moving forward.

This is only one of several simultaneous issues which need to be addressed.

(1) We need to improve our revenue sports. I think we’ve made good hires in Hill, Sanchez, and Healy in that regard, but winning goes a long way.

(2) We need to improve our rankings in US News, etc. Like it or not, these rankings matter to prospective students, employers, graduate schools, etc. - we are ranked, but we need to work hard on moving up.

(3) We need to brand better. This is where a name change comes in, but it also has to do with painting the campus in C-picks, Norm paintings, having more miner/niner statues, etc.

(4) We need to work on making students and alumni “Niners First.” This comes from them being proud to be at Charlotte/a Charlotte alum and pulling for Charlotte before other schools in sports. Sports success helps, but a lot of it is also in the details - see #3, where we need to have C-Picks everywhere, etc., on campus. I hate EZU, but they do a good job with this - from the first second you step on campus you are constantly reinforced with the idea that “you are now a pirate, you are a pirate, you are a pirate,” etc. Every student should be given a Charlotte bumper sticker, young alums should be mailed bumper stickers, people need to realize that Charlotte students and alums are everywhere and you’re in the club.

5 Likes

I hereby nominate you as chairman of the alumni association. Can I get a second?

1 Like

Great post! One thing I am amazed that we don’t do is to have reps from Athletics and the 49er Club speaking at SOAR, since it is mandatory for new students. I attended with both of my kids (one is now an Alumnus, the other is a junior Engineering major. We should at the very least promote joining the Student 49er Club immediately (even if we make it free or cheaper than it is now – $20 I think). It is more valuable to get them on board early than the little amount of revenue the joing fee generates now. They should have a sign-up desk set up at SOAR or atleast include a sign-up sheet in the mass of documents they are given at SOAR.

Presented without comment:

Phil doesn’t believe in Us and world report rankings.

As far as branding, our brand is too similar to UNC. I hate them too, but that’s one of the 3 strongest brands in both the NCAA, and in Academia in the world. Period. We will never thrive in branding under a brand THAT similar. It’s like starting a shoe company called “mikey” or a burger spot called “Nickdonalds”

Phil has always and currently doesn’t believe in a lot of things that he is wrong about.

Football, Judy, Name Change, Medical School, US News Rankings…the list is long and distinguished.

He also continues to be proven wrong in every instance eventually.

7 Likes

So next step is lighting up the emails of the BOT?

We have at the very least turned the next page of the book.

If the U doesn’t at least make a statement about this, the banners and petitions and what not are sure to keep coming.

Alums are now clearly in favor, athletics is clearly in favor, and now students are in favor.

Would like to see the vote count. Usually students vote in small numbers.

Here’s the list of people you need to let know how you feel about name change. I’m sure most of them aren’t aware of the Stamats study either:

https://chancellor.uncc.edu/leadership/board-of-trustees

1 Like

1 Like

5% voter turnout is terrible, and not likely to move the needle of the administration.

Apparently that is a great turnout for SGA votes. Best in the history of NC was our football vote with something like 7500. It was at least 3x the number that had ever voted before on all 17 campuses of the UNC System.

To echo what the poster above me said, that’s a really good turnout. Usually these votes only get a couple hundred folks out for it.

Of course, that doesn’t mean Dubois and Co won’t poop-poop all over it because of “low voter turnout”.

2 Likes

Speaking of amazon. Log in to your account, go here:

Click manage and then ncaa and try to look for Charlotte, or UNCC or UNC-Charlotte, or NC-Charlotte.

If he does that, then he’s pretty much asserting that all SGA elections and referendums are meaningless, especially given there was a relatively high response to Ref 1.

1 Like