University of Charlotte (Name Change Now)

They are not functioning.

I think just like football, there will be a huge resistance by UNC powers for support of a name change. Charlotte WILL be larger than Chapel Hill soon enough so if that isn’t evidence of need, nothing is. Getting a Medical School should be a huge priority as well. Both occurring coincidentally would be ideal and in best interests of UNC System. New bank HQ in CLT can’t hurt.

2 Likes

So, to clarify, a stop-gap measure could be to retain our official name, University of North Carolina Charlotte, but change all the university and anything tied to the university (athletics, alumni assoc, etc) branding to University of Charlotte?

And no one outside the university and BOT would have to approve?

In theory, no.

Its a shame erskine bowls is no longer system president. He was asked if he would support a name change and he said ge would endorse whatever the school chose to do.

I’m not sure the powers that be will resist. It’s all how we sell this name change. It’s not really about dropping the UNC, it’s about recognizing the Charlotte brand and aligning our institution with that brand, since it is our mission statement to be the urban research institute for North Carolina. We’re merely being who they want us to be.

2 Likes

#DroptheUNC is a tough hashtag to replace, but I agree with NLP’s positioning that the movement should be about our evolution and branding rather than just a rejection of another.

clt had the cltern update our logo, it would be that simple

1 Like

I find this topic interesting on so many levels, but more because I always believed the optimal time for the name change would have been while the university was in a conference with the U of Cincy, Louisville, Memphis, etc. It just made sense then. The university has matured enough that it makes sense now too…unlike Pembroke State which needed the “academic” boost that the UNC name provides a smaller institution.

Academically, based on my experience, UNC Charlotte is well-known, highly regarded, but the confusion still happens…especially when attending conferences with international participants…they don’t understand the differences, that the state supports 16 campuses not just one.

That’s a serious issue. It’s been my experience that the biggest opponents to the name change are people who do not support/like the the school in the first place. Yet, somehow their opinion should matter the same? I don’t know how you account for that when doing studies and research.

1 Like

It would already have been done if it were not for Dubois and his big ego. He likes being Chancellor of UNC (charlotte). If we can’t change the name we need to change the Chancellor

Where did you get your information about how expensive it will be? Did that information also include “cost lost” for not changing the name?

How would you guys feel about replacing a somewhat adversarial #DropTheUNC with a more system-friendly #AdoptTheUofC? We’re fighting in a new weight class here trying to change the name of the institution and we’re going to have to get buy in from all sorts of people like local and state politicians as well as not pissing off people within the UNC BOG.

3 Likes

As far as the argument that it would be expensive, we “modernized” our logo about 10 years ago. That involved hiring a graphic design company and updating all signage, letterhead, websites, etc. So the cost isn’t too much to stop us from changing the name.

We should make it clear that the purpose of the campaign isn’t to leave the UNC system but to allow university to align it’s name with the very reason the university was created…to serve the people of Charlotte.

#DropTheUNC has too much traction and a little bit of history to it. Living in a meme/hashtag culture, I feel like it’s more likely to gain momentum with the younger crowd.

I think that is probably a good approach. I don’t really think anyone has an agenda to keep us from changing the name as long as it’s doesn’t seem like its being done simply out of hatred for UNC. I’m sure it’s complicated like any other change with a government institution but I don’t think anyone in Chapel Hill or Raleigh is intentionally targeting us to keep us from changing the name. It would be just as difficult for UNCG, UNCW, UNCP or UNCA. It’s just a big ball to start rolling & it sounds like people are fired up enough now to do it. But it needs to be done in a positive way without the appearance of hostility towards the UNC name or we won’t be taken serious.

3 Likes

#UCharNow

Yeah, I like adding Now at the end of things.

1 Like

#endtheconfusion #UniversityofCharlotte

1 Like

#DropTheUNC with #AdoptTheUofC with #WeAreCharlotte

A couple of the posters seem like they wanted to go to Chapel Hill, ended up at Charlotte, and only put “The University of North Carolina” on their resume.

Yep. You can almost hear the panic in them when the idea comes up. “But if they drop UNC from the name then I can’t tell people I went to UNC”.

2 Likes

I wonder is CHP is taking this out on everyone and refusing to change the name because he constantly gets asked if he got his degree from CAL even though he went to UC, Davis?