University Re-Branding: August 19, 2021

What do I do with all my UNC of Charlotte gear? My UNCC Charlotte hat?

Should we get a bondfire going to burn it all? Happy to see new brand, seriously

1 Like

Put that collectors item is a safe place with some desiccate packs. It will be worth pennies more in a few decades.

5 Likes

So in casual conversations we’re known as “Charlotte.” But we’re really UNC-Charlotte.

So, fundamentally not one thing has changed.

1 Like

Yeah, already noticed the awkwardness of it from that Twitter screen shot, “@unccharlotte says to simply call me Charlotte”.

1 Like

Virginia Tech (formally the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University and informally VT, VA Tech or VPI) is a public land-grant research university with its main campus in Blacksburg, Virginia.

1 Like

I understand what you are saying, but look at it this way:

So in casual conversations we’re known as “Carolina, North Carolina, or UNC.” But we’re really UNC-Chapel Hill.

Or perhaps another way:

Is UNC Chapel Hill changing its name?

No. The formal name of our University remains The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. UNC Chapel Hill is also appropriate. However, in conversation or in casual references, we are fully adopting “Carolina, North Carolina, or UNC.”

Should I still refer to the University as UNC-CH?

No. The University is now known informally as “Carolina, North Carolina, or UNC.” Our market research found that the UNC Chapel Hill reference caused confusion in our community and with prospective students.

Is Carolina, North Carolina, or UNC still part of the UNC System?

Yes! We are still part of the UNC System. We are proud to be part of a long tradition of educating students in North Carolina and beyond.

So, why should Charlotte be treated differently? We have taken the same action that UNC Chapel Hill has taken. The only notable exception is that we still refuse to informally call ourselves the University of Charlotte, although we have every right to do so.

3 Likes

I think you are unintentionally gaslighting…We were already called Charlotte. We were already officially UNC-Charlotte. NOTHING has actually changed.

As long as there is a UNC in university graphics, nothing will change.

Fully expect to see gear with the new logo and the damned prefix. It’s coming.

Being updated in the Alumni Center. I know we all want more, but give them some credit. It’s a start. I like the fact that the C and Charlotte are purposely standing out in comparison to “University of North Carolina” with the different font type, font size and italicized vs not.

3 Likes

Looking forward to seeing more propaganda on campus, more Green and Gold, more all in C. I swear CHP hated school pride.

It’s a process. We all know it will happen eventually. Just a matter of when.

Love the GOLD!

1 Like

Interesting they went with the all in C on the top as the primary. The version that I was shown as the primary had the all in C on the side. Edit I’m not sure why it’s showing up squished.

1 Like

It’s amazing how the smallest things make a big difference. I understand why they feel it is necessary to include “University of North Carolina”, but like I had said earlier, I like how they are trying to put a spotlight on the C and Charlotte with different fonts, font sizes and in your example, the C and Charlotte is a different color (and is the dominant color) compared to the gold. When I see that imagine, it takes a minute to see the gold text. To me, they are thumbing their nose at the UofNC in a sly way.

1 Like

clt says it would be a real shame if someone removed the text above Charlotte.

Don’t disagree, but reality is that it isn’t happening today, so let see where this goes. I guess we could go back to the administration and tell them that it is either 100% or 0%. Let’s not let perfection be the enemy of progress. I see this as the first step toward independence from the mothership. Winning battles will eventually allow us to win the war.

3 Likes

There is no hyphen, but then I think you know that.

2 Likes

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article253629943.html

What the hell does the end of this statement mean? “The university prefers it not be referred to as UNCC, UNC-C, UNC-Charlotte, University of NC at Charlotte, University of North Carolina - Charlotte, University of North Carolina Charlotte, University of Charlotte or Charlotte University.” ???

Read more here: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article253629943.html#storylink=cpy