Unpopular Opinion Thread

ORRRRRR We don’t do enough Ninershlagger

Richmond cleaning staff says we do plenty.

4 Likes

Rename this thread NNN festivus.

I hate the clt 3rd person shtick persona.

“UNCC” looks and sounds like a community college.

I’ve got a winner, Eddie Basden has grown better in the memory of NN.N than he was when he was actually playing here.

Every player this decade would have only achieved at best 65% of their production had they played in 1996 - 2005.

clt doesn’t like the turf field at the rich

Charlotte’s non-revenue sports, including baseball and soccer, should win more titles and NCAA bids than they do. Judy Rose emphasized Title IX and non-revenue sports. Tuition at UNC System schools is cheap compared to other states, so scholarship dollars go farther. Charlotte is a great city for 18-22 year olds.

Is it possible to create a European atmosphere at soccer matches? A crowd singing songs and beer garden(s) would help.

If the school promotes riding the light rail to matches it might be pleasantly surprised.

Hibbs needs to go

1 Like

This is me. I know some people don’t like all the name confusion, but I will never be on board with UNCC being our moniker because unlike UCLA or UNLV, the last two letters are almost universally associated with community colleges. As someone who grew up in Charlotte, I can tell you that it carried that connotation my entire life until I went to visit campus as a junior and was absolutely blown away at what the U really was. Branding us UNCC long term will only be detrimental to the University.

1 Like

I also don’t care if we lose mid week baseball games to teams we should beat.

I certainly understand that and is the #1 thing I point to when discussing name confusion and why we need to change our name. With that said, if the next chancellor won’t commit to changing the name I actually prefer UNCC to UNC Charlotte. I think we stand a better chance of making UNCC ours and marketing that than UNC Charlotte which looks like a satellite campus and gives UNC ownership.

Virginia Tech vs. Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Georgia Tech vs Georgia Institute of Technology
NCSU vs NC State vs North Carolina State University
California vs Berkeley vs UCB
Tennessee vs UT-Knoxville vs University of Tennessee at Knoxville
Carolina vs UNC vs UNC-CH vs Chapel Hill
Fresno State vs California State University, Fresno
IU vs Indiana vs Indiana University Bloomington
Illinois vs UIUC vs University of Illinois vs University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Wisconsin vs University of Wisconsin vs Wisconsin - Madison
Etc.

It happens all of the time, everywhere. With that said - UofC all day, baby.

1 Like

I think UofC, CU, or, if we must, a compromise and take Charlotte State University.

@NinerWupAss just curious as to why you think UNC Charlotte feels like it has a UNC ownership connotation but UNCC does not.

Until the name of the university is changed people will always think we are a satellite campus of Chapel Hill. The fact that our Chancellor is okay with that is my biggest disappointment with his tenure. Sure a med school was on that list as well but consciously being okay with being associated and even confused with Chapel Hill after all they do to hold us down and take a larger share of State funding is unforgivable.

Maybe it’s just the cadence when I say it. When you say each one is UNC pause Charlotte. When you say the other it comes out UN slight pause CC - which might make Centrals CC issue more pronounced. Ugh - one says UNC ownership, the other says Community College. UNCC though went to the final 4, UNCC is the spirit of Bonnie, UNCC is what our website and emails are.

Ugh let’s just get this shit changed.

Ending in CC can never be the solution.

That we can agree on.

The only difference I can see with that list of schools and Charlotte vs. UNCC is the length of time they’ve been going by the other name. We still have some old media people and sports fans (some of whom are trolling) that refuse to stop calling the sports teams UNCC or UNC Charlotte, but once they’re gone, it really won’t be a big deal to be Charlotte for sports only anymore. The bigger issue I think is that it’s been so long since the Niners have been relevant in basketball (and are new to football) that people don’t recognize Charlotte as a sports program. If we had had a recent tournament run or start making bowl games semi-regularly, the program name will once again be better known and recognized, and the name confusion stuff will be less common.

I agree though that University of Charlotte is better at this point for the rest of the university as well. Given how far the university has come in the development of their academic programs and research units, student population, and the campus, it’s time to start taking steps of distinguishing the school from the university system so that the school stands on its own. That’s why NCSU works, even though it’s part of the larger system. People know about that university separately and individually, so it doesn’t need the crutch. The ones that are interesting to me are Appalachian state and Western Carolina, why don’t they have “UNC” in their names? Does it have to do with the size of the town/city they are in?

1 Like

I can agree with this. But it comes down to, yes they got more funding but they still never had standards in place of “winning is important”

Derailing threads with yet another discussion about name change issues is lame.