Unpopular Opinion Thread

The reason wcu, app st, as well as ecu and elizabeth city state, et al, donā€™t have the unc is because they were all named BEFORE the trend (NC Legislature inspired?) to prefix the unc to newer ā€œbranchesā€ of the unc system. I dare say, old Pembroke State has no problem at all being called unc pembroke now. They wanted to be directly identified with the unc system for status and legitimacy reasons in the public eye. Whereas, Charlotte (the school) now is so big we donā€™t feel the need to have the unc prefix to stand alone in status or legitimacy.
My 2 cents.
https://www.northcarolina.edu/content/our-17-campuses

Just one example, but ECUā€™s current name came about in 1967 versus, as you know, UNC Charlotteā€™s current name in 1965.

See History sections:

EDIT: App State and WCU 1967, ECSU 1969

1 Like

This will be an unpopular one. The C-49ers logo is superior to the pick axe.

1 Like

Reported as spam.

2 Likes

Itā€™s so hard to have an unpopular opinion when Iā€™m always right.

When a new Chancellor is hired, s/he should send an emissary to the other UNC system schools and see if anyone else wishes to change their name, too. The only other schools that might be interested would be UNCG, UNCA, and UNCW. (UNCW is investing effort in becoming known as UNCW. Maybe they see themselves as the UCSB, Santa Barbara, of the East.)

If 2 or 3 schools approach the Board of Governors at the same time the chances of success are increased.

40 years ago, when the 49ers joined the Sun Belt Conference, the emphasis was on using initials, because UCLA and UNLV were so successful. UNCC, ODU, VCU, WKU, UNO, GSU, and UAB were everywhere in the Observer. Jacksonville was the only holdout I remember.

Coldest take everā€¦ Ice Coldā€¦ George Gervin says this take is too cold for him

1 Like

My unpopular opinion is that braille has a soul

1 Like

Kevin Donnalley should be fired for being as bad as he is with social media/snapchat, no one wants to see your old washed up face on there. Get someone young who actually gets it. Keep him on as pro-liaison but get him off any social media.

1 Like

I think he is just doing the posts and videos out of his own enjoyment. I donā€™t think the program has designated anyone to handle those tasks. I agree, we need someone to do these things as their role. But I do appreciate Kevin Donnalley doing something, because otherwise we would have no videos or pictures from practice.

Who was the dude who did the videos leading up to our first year of football? I know he moved on to bigger and better things, but his video series was EXCELLENT! We need someone like that back here again, so we could at least have weekly updates and interviews from Spring practice.

Stop putting the players reaction from our 1 win over UAB last year all over social media. Glad we got at least one but stop the fake optimism.

clt says it is hours away from spring game, and no one knows where to park

Lol. So you mean day 1? She was hired in 1990. We needed football in 1990.

Iā€™m not sure how unpopular that opinion is. It bugs me to have Henry at the top of the assists list. Now Jon Davis is going to be up high on the scoring list. I like Davis. But itā€™s hard to appreciate those accomplishments when they occur on bad teams.

I like many of the teams in CUSA, and think that if it can stop being mismanaged there is some good potential here (though I still would give up my firstborn for a spot in the AAC).

I would like to play App every year in football.

1 Like
  1. We need to embrace an App St rivalry - We need a good ol fashioned hate filled rivalry in a worst way. Davidson in basketball and should be App St in football.
  2. My opinion of Lutz

I think getting an ECU football rivalry would be nice too.

Play a NC FCS team at home every year. Itā€™s better to play WCU than Troy or Georgia State.

ECU will resist playing Charlotte, but maybe with their athletic budget deficit, theyā€™ll listen to reason. The key is to be able to take a few 1000 fans to Greenville for the away game.

Play ECU in baseball. An early season weekend series. Alternate sites, or play a game at each campus and the Saturday game in Durham or Greensboro.

Can only play 1 FCS game per year, Iā€™m with you though, Iā€™d prefer it be an NC school. Canā€™t really compare an FCS one-off to a multi-game series with Ga State. I think that is a good series for both schools, could create a decent rivalry over time and drivable road game for fans.

We had an ECU series earlier this year, not sure how long that series is set to last. @Mr_Bojangles could probably provide that answer.

Not sure anyone here will disagree with playing App, itā€™s having to deal with their ā€œfansā€ who become Tarheel fans come December.