URI Post Game

No fair getting a winning shot win the radio feed goes out. If I can’t hear it, it doesn’t count. :’( >:D

Winners know how to win and losers know how to lose.

Thats it.

[color=green]We blew a 17-point lead, got phantom calls again by the refs, didn’t box out/rebound in the last play, can’t inbound the ball, and can’t play defense. Typical Niner basketball.

The way the game was called in the 2nd half, I was not hopeful. Braswell did NOT goal tend on the missed layup - such a bad call.

Disappointing loss, again. However, as soon as Braswell is out it is very tough for this Niner team. URI is good and well coached.

I do see nice development with Braswell and Sherrill. Hope JB develops more.

Question: When Wilderness fouled out, at that pt I though Major needed to start getting some tries to Sirin. Just the opposite, puts in him to play what he is worst at - defense. We just don’t have the players not fully utilize everyone.

Derrio STINKS.

I would agree except if Green boxes out I’m betting the URI player climbs his back for the put-back with a no call by the refs. Would’ve been a tougher shot which may have rimmed out, but I’m very sure it would been a no call. Basically, even with Green boxing out, Niners only win if URI misses shot.

This team has absolutely no margin for error

Can not agree with this.

Without DG we have more losses this year. He has willed us to a few wins. He isn’t an all american, but he brings a lot to the team. He might shoot too much - but it isn’t like this team is loaded with scorers.

We are now 0-3 in overtime games in conference. I have never before dropped an f-bomb in front of my kids - today was the first. Very frustrating loss. Granted - I didn’t think we’d win coming into this game, but getting teased really sucks.

Never thought I would see “Barron is a good coach” followed by “Derrio stinks” in consecutive posts in a thread. That’s how bad this season has become.

Fortunately, mine was at his grandparent’s house or he would have heard the same thing, and multiple ones at that. I also made a failed attempt to kick a hole in the couch, too.

Too many of these games have gone against us this year. We can’t catch a break when we need it. JB made a great play to block the shot on the first scoring attempt in the final seconds of OT, only to have it go out of bounds and URI get the break instead. The last game that ended like that was when Louisville beat us on a put back. The Loserville player climbed Butter’s back and no foul was called.

Glad to see Major get a little wound up about the officiating. First time I have seen him show his disdain for their inadequacy. Lutz used to bark at them all the time and went overboard on many occasions, but Major IMO hasn’t gotten on them enough for their f-ups this season. Somebody from Charlotte needed to let them know that they were bad today.

Games like today leave a really sour taste, but also remind me how close we are. We still don’t have a true point guard which makes us helpless when teams figure they should press.

You are ridiculously wrong

Derrio is a good player. He can drive and pass the ball pretty well. He is not a pure shooter, but is overloaded with confidence which makes him think he can carry the load. He makes poor decisions sometimes by shooting instead of passing, or leaving his feet prematurely. He just can’t shoot well, and shoots too much.

I highly doubt that anyone other than Derrio and Deuce start at the guard spots for us next year, so we certainly won’t have a starting point guard. The question is, can Luka and or Henry provide us with that off the bench?

More than that, I have said all season that I think we are a poor ball handling team. I don’t expect freshmen and sophomores to be excellent ball handlers, but they could be good enough to give us a boost in the A/T ratio that has been plaguing us all season. I want us to be a team that plays tough defense, passes the ball around for the best shot, and is too good at ball handling to get picked for a lot of points off turnovers.

We’re also not losing much in scoring either. Our seniors combined for 7 points tonight. I thought Charles had a good night playing the kinda game that he does best, but let’s be honest, he’s not a scorer.

If Rhode Island does a highlight video similar to what we do before the beginning of the second half, Charles Dewhurst will be on it for the remainder of Rhode Island basketball.

I highly doubt that anyone other than Derrio and Deuce start at the guard spots for us next year, so we certainly won’t have a starting point guard. The question is, can Luka and or Henry provide us with that off the bench?

More than that, I have said all season that I think we are a poor ball handling team. I don’t expect freshmen and sophomores to be excellent ball handlers, but they could be good enough to give us a boost in the A/T ratio that has been plaguing us all season. I want us to be a team that plays tough defense, passes the ball around for the best shot, and is too good at ball handling to get picked for a lot of points off turnovers.

We’re also not losing much in scoring either. Our seniors combined for 7 points tonight. I thought Charles had a good night playing the kinda game that he does best, but let’s be honest, he’s not a scorer.[/quote]

I think we get hung on this “starter” stuff too much, I really don’t care who starts I care who plays the most and who’s in the game when it matters. AW “started” tonight but didn’t play well and fouled out, Bras had a a great game.

Next year maybe Derrio and Deuce do start because they are upper classmen and they know the system but these new guys are going to play a lot and that’s a good thing. Right now Dew AW and Sirin are our only bench players and all of them have holes in their game. We should be a better team next year, but I think everone on here knows that.

[quote author=get_gold78 link=topic=28761.msg506403#msg506403 date=1297554147]

You are ridiculously wrong

Really? I love my Niner’s but come on. Derrio has a lot of passion but I just chringed when Brisco fouled out. Derrio cannot handle the rock…period. I don’t know what his 3 point percentage is but can’t be much better than 20%. I think he could be a good role player if he understood his limitations. Just tired of this team snatching defeat from the jaws of vicotory.

http://greentintedglasses.net/2011/02/rhode-island-postgame-2/

This has GOT to stop.

I thought KJ played a good game. He will be a solid player his final two years. Barnett was absent minus the one block. Green had some of the worst shots all year. The refs were bad for both teams, but I always say good teams can overcome the refs and we should’ve overcome that stretch. These types of losses seem worse than if we lose by 30. What is the deal with Sirin? This guy is a stick standing and watching. Not surprising that he only plays when absolutely necessary.

Putting the spotlight on Derrio is stupid… The entire team stinks.

Yet another awful loss… How anyone is taking “positives” out of this is beyond me. We keep finding new and increasingly embarassing ways to lose to teams that just aren’t any good. We suck.