UTimes Editorial On Ticket System

There’s an editorial bashing the new ticket system in today’s U-Times. That’s fine, I know people won’t like it, there are definitely legitimate complaints about the system, but the way they attack the system is ridiculous.

Their main points…
-Start out complaining about the motives behind people showing up in record numbers to the volleyball games.
*Who the hell cares why people are there, we are there and loud and it only helps…Adding to the humor are a few quotes from the volleyball coach a few pages later saying how much the fans have helped the team this year.

-Critisizes NN Gold for letting students buy points.
*This is true, but it offers other benefits and they later go on to defend Gang Green, who’s whole system was based on only buying your tickets and going to other events, which is the exact way joining NNG will work. NNG lets you get points, but doesn’t guarentee anything.

-Says system favors people with most free time.
*again, true, but it’s always been that way. this system opens the lower level up to people who can’t camp, they can go to other sporting events in the free time they have rather than spending all night camping. Instead of having to camp to get down low, any student now has over 40 chances to get points towards lower level seats, how is this not helping people without much free time? Before if you didn’t make campout, you were screwed regardless of how many times you camped before, this year it’s a buildup and you can miss an event and not be put at the back of the line.

The best part…
-Critisizes the new system for only giving 1 point for camping out. Says it will kill camping, ect ect…
*You get 4 points for camping out.

I don’t care if you hate the system, the parts of the system they choose to attack are insane. Actually questioning whether the extra support for other athletics is a positive?

I still a little foggy on the whole thing…I guess I’m kinda glad that I graduated before this thing kicked in.

[i]Originally posted by CMack124[/i]@Oct 4 2005, 01:02 PM [b] There's an editorial bashing the new ticket system in today's U-Times. That's fine, I know people won't like it, there are definitely legitimate complaints about the system, but the way they attack the system is ridiculous. [/b]
Did they check into the track record? This system has improved student attendance at other schools it's been implemented. Maryland won the national championship and still couldn't sell-out the year after. Then, they implemented this same system and sold out every game for several years.
[i]Originally posted by LeftyNiner+Oct 4 2005, 02:25 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (LeftyNiner @ Oct 4 2005, 02:25 PM)

I don’t like the system because of the fact that you can’t set downstairs with your friends. I do think the system punishes seniors in that it will most likely get better in years to come but this year we are stuck with what it is.

However, CMack is right in this sense. I read an article in the U-times last week attacking the book store. I personally know the manager in charge of clothing and I had her read the article. She found many flaws and just flat out lies in the article.

[i]Originally posted by switchfoot[/i]@Oct 4 2005, 02:50 PM [b] I don't like the system because of the fact that you can't set downstairs with your friends. I do think the system punishes seniors in that it will most likely get better in years to come but this year we are stuck with what it is.

However, CMack is right in this sense. I read an article in the U-times last week attacking the book store. I personally know the manager in charge of clothing and I had her read the article. She found many flaws and just flat out lies in the article. [/b]

If you are a senior you should be more concerned about getting your season tickets with your buds next year than this year. Also joining the 49er club. If you are bitching now wait until you pay over $250 for season tickets and also hundreds to the 49er club and don’t get to sit near the spot you requested.

That was a dumb article. This system is much better than the “camping out only” system.

Why does the U Times hate our sports?

uteditor@email.uncc.edu

[i]Originally posted by lake49er+Oct 4 2005, 03:40 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (lake49er @ Oct 4 2005, 03:40 PM)
[b]The editorial by the U-times on ticket distribution (Tues edition) was pathetic. You are complaining that people who went to a volleyball game went only to improve their basketball tickets. Most of them did go for that primary purpose, but its irrelevant, because the student support was excellent. The only thing that matters is that the support was great and our team won, not the reasons why people came out to the game.

Your criticism of Niner Nation gold is misguided as well. If people really want good seats, they can cough up $20 dollars. You didn’t mention that joining this group counts towards your years in 49er club which will lead to bigger support down the road when these students are alumni.

If a student is so busy that they can’t support our other teams, then they don’t deserve lower level seats over students that do support the teams. If students are diehard basketball fans, they will schedule class and work around getting the seats they want, whether its non-revenue sports attenedance, camping out, or athletic foundation contributions (Niner Nation Gold). If you can’t understand this, then you are a perfect example of students who are too apathetic about our athletic teams and school spirit to give our teams the support they deserve that other schools get.

Your closing point states that campouts are worth one point. This is incorrect. They are worth 4 points which invalidates your entire point.

The new system is good because it allows flexibility in the ways that you get tickets by rewarding pretty much anything that helps the athletic program (money, crowd support, and camping out-publicity). I am glad that no Niner Nation Loyalty Points are awarded for editorials like these.
[/b]

I wrote this email to the editor.

Bravo.

:smiley:

Well said. It’s not like the de novo volleyball and soccer attendees are just sitting there like Panther fans. They’re actually getting into it and supporting the teams.

What a mindless editorial by the U Times staff. I wouldn’t expect that one to win any awards.

I can’t open the above UT link and thus can’t open my can of woop ass. Is this the correct link?

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Oct 4 2005, 02:58 PM [b] Why does the U Times hate our school? [/b]
Fixed

The only link I saw was to the e-mail address to e-mail them and tell them how stupid it was.

[i]Originally posted by lutz9er[/i]@Oct 4 2005, 04:29 PM [b]
[b]The editorial by the U-times on ticket distribution (Tues edition) was pathetic. You are complaining that people who went to a volleyball game went only to improve their basketball tickets. Most of them did go for that primary purpose, but its irrelevant, because the student support was excellent. The only thing that matters is that the support was great and our team won, not the reasons why people came out to the game.

Your criticism of Niner Nation gold is misguided as well. If people really want good seats, they can cough up $20 dollars. You didn’t mention that joining this group counts towards your years in 49er club which will lead to bigger support down the road when these students are alumni.

If a student is so busy that they can’t support our other teams, then they don’t deserve lower level seats over students that do support the teams. If students are diehard basketball fans, they will schedule class and work around getting the seats they want, whether its non-revenue sports attenedance, camping out, or athletic foundation contributions (Niner Nation Gold). If you can’t understand this, then you are a perfect example of students who are too apathetic about our athletic teams and school spirit to give our teams the support they deserve that other schools get.

Your closing point states that campouts are worth one point. This is incorrect. They are worth 4 points which invalidates your entire point.

The new system is good because it allows flexibility in the ways that you get tickets by rewarding pretty much anything that helps the athletic program (money, crowd support, and camping out-publicity). I am glad that no Niner Nation Loyalty Points are awarded for editorials like these.
[/b]

I wrote this email to the editor.[/b]

Nice, I wrote something up as well. Me and ONN were going to write a rebuttal to be printed next week(doubt they would print it, but worht a shot). but they limit student sent editorials to 200 words, the one I typed up was around 650.

They just made so many obvious mistakes that 200 words isn’t nearly enough to counter all of them. Maybe 200 words an issue for the next month would be enough, a continuing series of “why the UTimes editorials are complete garbage.” I think that would be nice, or just “why does the U-Times hate the school they write about?”

I’ll post our response later on, it’s on the school computers right now, I need to get it next time I’m on campus

Speaking of Emails…I have officially began to mass email pacman on fnz in regards to our beloved niners. I get tired of hearing him talk about the lack of niner calls on his show so I wanted to make sure he would AT LEAST get 1.

so far, he has spoke very highly of the niners…but he says that he is deep into the football season and doesn’t have time for college b-ball talk (understandably). He says to keep up the emails and keep him posted on the team…so I fully intend to.

How many games has the UTimes editor attended during their years at UNCC? I’ll bet it’s under double digits.

[i]Originally posted by casstommy[/i]@Oct 4 2005, 04:39 PM [b] Speaking of Emails....I have officially began to mass email pacman on fnz in regards to our beloved niners. I get tired of hearing him talk about the lack of niner calls on his show so I wanted to make sure he would AT LEAST get 1.

[/b]

I sat behind pacman @ the UNC-CH/UNC-R football game