Viacom cutting channels from TWC

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;373192]I can get FiOS, Dish, Uverse, etc.

I really dont want some sweaty fat guy of dubious intelligence or integrity drilling holes into my house and installing all of that crap unless I know I’m in it for the long haul. The one thing I will say about TWC is that it is remarkably easy to get rid of. Just take the box & remote to a mall kiosk and say “do not want”.[/QUOTE]

They let you take stuff to the Kiosks down there? Man, we get so pissed when people try to do that here. One time, we took every return that was brought to us and took a picture of it. An entire half of our Kiosk was blocked off with returns and we had them on the counters, in every cabinet, everywhere.

Not only will they take them, that’s where they prefer you take them, based on what they told me on the phone.

My DVR crapped out and I had to replace it. The entire switchout took about 20 seconds, with no line. Was the best CS experience I’ve ever had with TWC.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;373198]Not only will they take them, that’s where they prefer you take them, based on what they told me on the phone.

My DVR crapped out and I had to replace it. The entire switchout took about 20 seconds, with no line. Was the best CS experience I’ve ever had with TWC.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I would gladly do that here but whenever we do it we run out of product in a day.

But, we have it on our website, our CSRs have the same information, and they still send people out here.

I hate TWC’s customer service. It is abysmal.

Yeaahhh… I see Dish in my future. TWC is such a joke.

I turned off my cable, but I still get 30 channels digitally for free. Including decent channels like:

VH1
AMC
BRAVO
E!
MSNBC
Along with Every Local Channel in HD

I stream Hulu through my PS3 with a program called Playon. I can still watch about any relevant show not on a major network, the day after it comes on. Screw paying $50.00 for basic cable with TWC. My apartments position prevents me from getting Dish Network, otherwise I would. But for the time being, I am more than content with what I have.

I turned off my cable, but I still get 30 channels digitally for free. Including decent channels like:

VH1
AMC
BRAVO
E!
MSNBC
Along with Every Local Channel in HD

I stream Hulu through my PS3 with a program called Playon. I can still watch about any relevant show not on a major network, the day after it comes on. Screw paying $50.00 for basic cable with TWC. My apartments position prevents me from getting Dish Network, otherwise I would. But for the time being, I am more than content with what I have.

How do you get cable channels w/o cable?

Good riddance, TWC has long rode the wave of their market dominance, and aside from the screwy DVR I get with direct TV it is far superior. Since i came here in '98 for college TWC has screwed me out of 100s in false charges and general screw ups. Plus customer service is a joke and they take at least a week to fix/connect anything. I’m tired of companies who treat their customers like crap getting a free pass.

How do you get cable channels w/o cable?

Not really sure. But I do. Maybe its because I have a digital tuner built into my TV? TWC said that they werent sure why, but they were aware that certain households can pick up multiple channels after disconnect. I guess I’m one of the lucky ones.

I just got back from lunch and checked all the channels I still get. In addition to the other major ones I named earlier I also get:

Nickelodeon
Cartoon Network
Oxygen
CNBC
Hallmark
TLC
Universal HD
All the UNC Channels in HD

I’m still without ESPN, but with the Internet I can get by just the same.

Did you ask TWC how they are still in business, I bet they are not sure about that one either.

Someone feeling experimental could give this a try:

[QUOTE] (Here is a little trick that you can try, when your cable company is giving a free preview of a movie channel, disconnect the input cable from your box just before the free preview is about to end. Leave the input cable disconnected for about 24 hours. When you reconnect the cable, you will still have the movie channel because your box did not receive the signal that was supposed to tell it to turn the channel off. Eventually, another signal will be seen that will shut the channel off, and there is no way to know exactly when the signal will be sent, but in the meantime, you will still receive the channel.)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;373118]They have me by the balls on such short notice. Not kidding when I say that we probably cannot go more than a few days without Noggin. My kid loves that channel.
[/QUOTE]

Yea, I’m screwed too. Kids on demand channels and a couple extra PBS kids channels are the biggest reason I’m still on TWC (plus as you said in another post, it’s just easier to add services/cancel). With Noggin gone though that turns the tables and I am tired of waiting for this MASN crap to get straightened out.

I understand TWC’s position, if you give to Viacom everybody else will do it and if you think that Viacom had time to actually make commercials of Dora crying because “Time Warner is taking me off the air” then you can tell this is what Viacom wanted all along. However, it’s not like TWC/AOL hasn’t strong-armed others before. My household will not survive more than a couple days without Noggin, Comedy Central and CSI reruns (Spike). After that Dish is getting a call.

Apparently there’s a lot of this going on. Charter is fighting with NBC (Charlotte WCNC) and as of a week ago, NBC would be dropped from Charter here in Lincoln county, Hickory, up into the mountains. NBC is also the only network channel not in HD.

How can the non-cable channels not be aired? Aren’t they free over the air stuff?

I honestly don’t care about any of those channels, I would rather lose those and not see my bill affected, than keep them and see a raise in fees.

i’m still trying to get used to the new mi-connect system up here in mooresville. They change the stations they carry about once every 2 or 3 weeks. we have very few of the stations twc is dropping. so i don’t know which ones are good. and which ones are bad.

For those of you who have Charter Communications… you’re losing a channel tomorrow too… NBC (WCNC).

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-121908-sjf-chartercable.7c4481cf.html

[QUOTE=cptn319;373357]For those of you who have Charter Communications… you’re losing a channel tomorrow too… NBC (WCNC).

http://www.wcnc.com/news/topstories/stories/wcnc-121908-sjf-chartercable.7c4481cf.html[/QUOTE]i think charter and wcnc were able to work out a deal to keep that station on charter a few days ago…

i think charter and wcnc were able to work out a deal to keep that station on charter a few days ago..

Cool… my mom said as of this morning they were still running the scroll across the top of her screen. Maybe they just haven’t taken off the scroll yet.

[QUOTE=cptn319;373362]Cool… my mom said as of this morning they were still running the scroll across the top of her screen. Maybe they just haven’t taken off the scroll yet.[/QUOTE]i may be mistaken. i know they were trying to work out something.

I can get FiOS, Dish, Uverse, etc.

I really dont want some sweaty fat guy of dubious intelligence or integrity drilling holes into my house and installing all of that crap unless I know I’m in it for the long haul. The one thing I will say about TWC is that it is remarkably easy to get rid of. Just take the box & remote to a mall kiosk and say “do not want”.

NA, it’s not as bad as you think. The dish can be installed on a pole beside the house so there is no drilling. Just matters on the line of sight. As far as getting into your house, if your house is already wired for digital cable, then the dish guys can patch into the junction for your cable tv. Your house should have a central junction for cable. Matters on how old the house is, though.

Whatever you do, the guys can come out, and you can say you want no drilling. Then they can say if there is a solution. If no work, no charge.

And one great thing about the contractors for Directv, they actually show up to the appointment.

TWC is a joke of a company. Comcast would be a step up.

Where is this black bar you guys are seeing? I havent seen it on any of the channels?

Also, a couple guys at work got the goverment voucher for a converter box, and now get all the local channel crisp and clear (much clearer then me on twc).

So they ended up on dish or something with local channels. Not a bad idea, way cheaper then getting the total package with local.