watch Ryan Finley

If Ryan Finley returns for his last year at NC State would former West Meck QB Jalan McClendon be interested in a return to Charlotte. Finley and McClendon each have 1 year remaining and each have used their red shirt. I believe McClendon has graduated and would be eligible to transfer and play right away. I also understand he is talented and almost beat out Finley for the starting QB spot this season.

This is a really good call. Hard to find situations like this.

[quote=ā€œ49erCC, post:1, topic:31287ā€]If Ryan Finley returns for his last year at NC State would former West Meck QB Jalan McClendon be interested in a return to Charlotte. Finley and McClendon each have 1 year remaining and each have used their red shirt. I believe McClendon has graduated and would be eligible to transfer and play right away. I also understand he is talented and almost beat out Finley for the starting QB spot this season.[/quote]. This would be great.

Is there even any gossip about this? He barely played this season. Would think he was looking to play for his last season. Thus staff should be looking at all options to save their jobs.

our options are really klugh, barden, or a wealth of inexperience. No JUCO player thatā€™s going to be a difference maker is going to come here. Get your popcorn ready.

A new OC is gonna bring a QB battle. I still think Klugh has a legg up (see what I did there) but, this thing could be wide open.

Any chance Montgomery still has NC State connections and he may know Finley is staying, and itā€™s in the works to bring McClendon in for Charlotteā€™s spring semester

a McClendon transfer would make it a better deal for Montgomery.
otherwise I really dont see what Montgomery gets out of coming here

Finley will return.

Could be HUGE for us.

[quote=ā€œ49erCC, post:7, topic:31287ā€]a McClendon transfer would make it a better deal for Montgomery.
otherwise I really dont see what Montgomery gets out of coming here[/quote]$170,000

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article193358919.html

he is coming back

Jalan McClendon, NC State ā€“ A four-star prospect in the 2014 class, McClendonā€™s been a good soldier for the Wolfpack. Heā€™s backed up both Jacoby Brissett and Ryan Finley. Heā€™s also won some big games for N.C. State ā€“ like in 2016 when he led the Wolfpack to a victory over Notre Dame in a hurricane. But with Finley, one of the most accurate QBs in all of football, able to return for his senior season, McClendon needs to seek opportunity elsewhere if he hopes to play. McClendon is an interesting talent at 6-foot-5, 221 pounds. Stuck behind Finley, it would make a lot of sense if he explored grad transfer opportunities. But if Finely decided to test the NFL waters, which is a possibility considering some mock drafts have him slotted as a first rounder, consider this entire section moot.

posts on packpride

[url=https://247sports.com/User/wolfpack87]wolfpack87[/url] said... ([url=https://247sports.com/Reply/113310586?Channel=103754]original post[/url]) I would honestly be shocked if he did not transfer. He can start somewhere immediately since he will graduate in May
If he does I definitely will wish him all the best at his next stop. Dude has been a class act and positive contribution in the locker room, even after losing out on the starting job. I can certainly see him wanting to go somewhere he can play in his final year.

I wonder if Mcclendon does leave if he would go to UNCC. I know he is from Charlotte. I wish he would stay and we could give him at least a few snaps at Wildcat QB. We seem pretty deep at reciver so I doubt he could be used there.

Would still like to see us use Jalan McClendon in creative ways last year. Great running threat ā€“ AND great arm. Would have been a heck of a lot better in a wildcat than some other options this yearā€¦
The man has paid his dues! He carried us against ND a few years ago!

Why would our staff not be calling him as soon as possible???

I would assume he would have to contact us since he is at another school. Shane Montgomery being a former NC State QB would hopefully bridge any communications gap

I donā€™t think we can initiate conversation. Really not sure how these generally go.

Edmonds is an NC State guy as well. Donā€™t think communication will be an issue if he does transfer.

Besides being from Charlotte, why else would he come here and be forced to play with the lack of talent we have on the offensive side of the ball? If heā€™s as good as many think, thereā€™s probably 20-30 schools in better shape who could use an upgrade at the QB spot to become a threat immediately.

Maybe Montgomery? We can hope.
We have a little talent on offense; lack of QB and weak offensive coordinator was our biggest problems

The lack of talent on offense was centered at QB, which he would fix right away. Never ever underestimate the effect of a good QB on a previously bad offense. Iā€™ll say again that Taylor Heinicke made some bad ODU teams into good ones.

Itā€™s a good question, but every team in college football is a quarterback away from bowling. Jalan Mclendon has all the talent in the world, heā€™s just not Ryan Finley. And to be honest, he gave finley one heck of a run for his money, and finley already had YEARS in his OCā€™s system.

If he wants to go to a big program, Iā€™m sure he can find somebody that needs him. While there may be more established programs that could use him, I daresay thereā€™s anybody that could basically guarantee him a starting role. Even App has a young kid they like. If satterfield knows this is his last year there, then thatā€™s the only way Iā€™d even see them going with a grad transfer.

We have Coach Edmunds with NC State ties, Shane Montgomery with NC State ties, we run (now) a similar offense to the one at NC State, we are close to home, and heā€™s got to know some of the local guys on our roster. The profile of CUSA was raised a solid amount last year. If he comes here, and he makes us a winner, and puts up solid numbers, can you imagine what that would do to his draft stock?

Also, I know this doesnā€™t fit the narrative, but we donā€™t have the extreme lack of talent that is suggested here. That offense we ran, or failed to run, last year made us appear to be a lot worse than we were. Being one dimensional is really bad. When your one dimension is running the ball itā€™s worse. If we do anything more than -5 yard, 16 second, 3 and out drives, you are going to see steps forward.

If we clean up penalites, turnovers, and the field goal kicking game, anything is possible. If we sign a dynamic quarterback, Iā€™m sipping the kool-aid.

Shane Montgomery having coached Big Ben has to be attractive also