we are not good

we are winning ugly.

we shot over 45% in 1 of our wins. The games we dominated (SIU, GW) we shot 41-44% respectively. On the season we are shooting a torrid .389. Put that in perspectiveā€¦

1.Rhode Islandā€¦ .490
2.Daytonā€¦ .480
3.Templeā€¦478
4.Duquesneā€¦ .477
5.Massachusettsā€¦ .468
6.Xavierā€¦ .468
7.Fordhamā€¦ .462
8.Saint Louisā€¦ .462
9.Saint Josephā€™sā€¦ .456
10.La Salleā€¦ .436
11.Richmondā€¦ .427
12.St. Bonaventureā€¦ .415
13.George Washingtonā€¦ .413
14.Charlotteā€¦ .389

GW is 4-6, St Bonnie is 5-8, Richmond is 6-6, LaSalle is 4-7ā€¦

Are we lucky to be 8-4?

The answer isā€¦noā€¦we are 2nd in the league in field goal percentage defense (1 of 2 teams holding opponents under .400 shooting) and we are winning ugly but still winning.

we are winning ugly.

we shot over 45% in 1 of our wins. The games we dominated (SIU, GW) we shot 41-44% respectively. On the season we are shooting a torrid .389. Put that in perspectiveā€¦

1.Rhode Islandā€¦ .490
2.Daytonā€¦ .480
3.Templeā€¦478
4.Duquesneā€¦ .477
5.Massachusettsā€¦ .468
6.Xavierā€¦ .468
7.Fordhamā€¦ .462
8.Saint Louisā€¦ .462
10.La Salleā€¦ .436
11.Richmondā€¦ .427
14.Charlotteā€¦ .389

Are we lucky to be 8-4?

The answer isā€¦noā€¦we are 2nd in the league in field goal percentage defense (1 of 2 teams holding opponents under .400 shooting) and we are winning ugly but still winning.

Iā€™d much rather win ugly with defense than lose pretty with offense. Not that we usually look pretty when we loseā€¦

I thought our main problem today was PG play. Harris is a beast on defense, but on offense he leaves a ton to be desired. Gerrity has the ability to get a steal or two per game, but he canā€™t pressure the ball nearly as effective as Harris. The thing is, if Gerrity canā€™t run the pointt and get in the lane, we are very limited on offense. A few times he got in the paint and made some passes for should be layups, but we didnā€™t finish.

If our defense is consistent we should be in every game, regardless of their talent. But in order for us to be a top 4 A10 team, we need to develop some inside scoring and become more efficient in the half court. The key to us being aboveaverage (obviously still better than last year) is the play of Gerrity. He might be the only guy on the team to have the true ability to create his own shot at this point, but he isnā€™t finishing. If we could diversify the offense, we could make our offense have more weapons, lessening the pressure on Leemire and his 3s.

Will this happen? I donā€™t know, but I look forward to finding out.

Peopleā€¦ weā€™re 8-4. You know what our record was after 12 games last season? Iā€™ll tell you, 6-6 having already lost a home game. I think you should relax and look forward to these great match-ups that are coming up.

I think Kyle Church expected to play last night, maybe even Phaler. If we played a half decent team last night, we lose. We HAVE to get better, if FDā€™s defense stiffles you on your home goals, you have problems.

I will agree with those that say yesterday was bad. It really put a kink in the thought that we are MUCH better at home. But, what should have lost us the game was shot selection. I would have sat Ian out very early on with that shot selection. Double covered and still shooting in the first 5 seconds of the shot clock. I have been happy with Ianā€™s occasional driving this season. Swithching it up and learning how to read the best shot, but yesterday he lingered around the 3 point line and just about every shot was early in the shot clock. It was a cold night of shooting Metro. That is for sure. And yes, Ian still managed 50%, but there were some bad desicions I think. Our defense held is up yesterday. I know you are used to seeing us win with offense, but yesterday is was Gabyā€™s (Halton arena record) 6 blocks, out rebounding and holding FDU to under 30% FG. We only scored 6 in the last 6:18 minutes.

I donā€™t think it had much affect on our poor play yesterday, but 104 was pretty quiet towards the end of the game.

Yesterdays game was bad. We missed so many layups and chip shots right around the basket. Like others have said, if that was a decent team, we would have lost.

I came in to this season expecting some ups and downs, and expecting to take some lumps. Weā€™ve done better than expected, but our offense is way too inconsistent. I think we are pretty good on the defensive side, we just need more consistency on the offensive end. We have to start making the easy baskets. No more missed dunks either.

[QUOTE=yea yea;279913]we are winning ugly.

1.Rhode Islandā€¦ .490
2.Daytonā€¦ .480
3.Templeā€¦478
4.Duquesneā€¦ .477
5.Massachusettsā€¦ .468
6.Xavierā€¦ .468
7.Fordhamā€¦ .462
8.Saint Louisā€¦ .462
10.La Salleā€¦ .436
11.Richmondā€¦ .427
14.Charlotteā€¦ .389

Are we lucky to be 8-4?

The answer isā€¦noā€¦we are 2nd in the league in field goal percentage defense (1 of 2 teams holding opponents under .400 shooting) and we are winning ugly but still winning.[/QUOTE]

This is the first post in this thread worthy of the bandwidth.

The offense was once again, very sporadic to poor. Same thing weā€™ve seen all season. The loose balls werenā€™t going our way, we performed some real head scratchers (boxing out like crazy but no one actually grabs the loose rebound?), and the officiating was really spotty and inconsistent which made the whole game feel disjointed. Lee was off, Coley was tentative at times, and poor Ian got megged by a blocked shot. It really felt like everyone was just going through the motions, including the crowd (however - thank you to the students - you guys still rock).

We won because we played excellent defense, especially on the interior, and our offense sputtered up just enough points to win. If we made the hustle plays we usually make and some of our layups fell, weā€™d have won by 20+. We were never in any real danger aside from boring the crowd to death on offense.

I am pleased that Gaby continues to improve. His impact in just 18 minutes was tremendous - double his numbers to get a sense of what he did out there. As he suggested in the post game, playing defense is the easiest way to win. Itā€™s not pretty, and I will continue to be surprised anytime we do manage to blow a team out. Our offense just isnā€™t there yet.

[QUOTE=Charlotte2002;279917]I thought our main problem today was PG play. Harris is a beast on defense, but on offense he leaves a ton to be desired. Gerrity has the ability to get a steal or two per game, but he canā€™t pressure the ball nearly as effective as Harris. The thing is, if Gerrity canā€™t run the pointt and get in the lane, we are very limited on offense. A few times he got in the paint and made some passes for should be layups, but we didnā€™t finish.

If our defense is consistent we should be in every game, regardless of their talent. But in order for us to be a top 4 A10 team, we need to develop some inside scoring and become more efficient in the half court. The key to us being aboveaverage (obviously still better than last year) is the play of Gerrity. He might be the only guy on the team to have the true ability to create his own shot at this point, but he isnā€™t finishing. If we could diversify the offense, we could make our offense have more weapons, lessening the pressure on Leemire and his 3s.

Will this happen? I donā€™t know, but I look forward to finding out.[/QUOTE]

Well said.

Tangent - Gerrity isnā€™t Harris on defense, but after watching him close up again, I have to take up for him. F-D was actually purposefully getting him and Wilderness to switch off so that Anā€™juan was left guarding #22 (SG) at the top of the key. They did that about 3 times, and I think the kid buried the shot right in AWā€™s face everytime. He didnā€™t do as well with Gerrity harassing him, as Mike constantly swatted at the ball and wouldnā€™t let the kid get squared up to shoot. I love Anā€™juan, but itā€™s about time we realize that heā€™s not quite as great as heā€™s made out to be, nor is Mike as bad as some believe.

That said, Harris was all over that PG. I canā€™t imagine how annoying that must be to an opposing player. Itā€™s funny to watch them struggle just to get the ball down the court.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;279940]We won because we played excellent defense, especially on the interior, and our offense sputtered up just enough points to win. If we made the hustle plays we usually make and some of our layups fell, weā€™d have won by 20+. We were never in any real danger aside from boring the crowd to death on offense.[/QUOTE]
I was hesitant to use the term ā€œexcellentā€ to describe our defense. We did have a lot of blocked shots, and we out rebounded, but not by much. We didnā€™t force near as many turnovers as we usually do either. But the bottom line is that we made it work.

How on godā€™s green earth do you only beat FD by 6 at home? Inexcusable.

As Metro says, we are not very good, but it is a win.

[QUOTE=metro;279875]
the stat sheet looks like we played Duke.[/QUOTE]

No it doesnā€™t. We won. :biggrin:

We played bad but teams often play bad at the end of a holiday break. Even the good teams. We WON. Time to move on.

The biggest positive was Gabyā€™s play. The biggest negative was Leemire constantly shooting and missing. Leemire did make 2 great defensive plays down the stretch though. Coley was not at full stength but should be in good shape by the Maryland game.

I predict a Niner win against Maryland in a very ugly looking basketball game.

[QUOTE=Chipper;279947]I predict a Niner win against Maryland in a very ugly looking basketball game.[/QUOTE]
[URL=http://www.kenpom.com/sked.php?y=2008&team=Charlotte&t=p][B][COLOR=DarkGreen]Ken Pomeroy[/COLOR][/B][/URL] also predicts a Ninersā€™ victory Saturdayā€¦ 67-66 with a 54% chance of winning.

Wow, the Kook Aide runs strong in someā€¦ This win didnā€™t do much to make me feel good about where we are. I canā€™t remember ever having left a win that unhappy.

This game showed me we hadnā€™t learned much from losing to crap teams like Monmouth and Hofstra.

the problem here is our ability to finish and youth. how many point blank layups did we miss last night. I wish there was a stat for that because it was a lot. We also played a very young line up for a good portion of the game. that is a good thing. I like what the future holds with our youth. 1st and 2nd year players usually do stupid things though. that happens with most teams, even Duke or UNC. I really like our defensive intensity though. we had it for 30 mnutes, the other 10 we had our heads up our ass. again, I attribute that to youth. this reminds me of when Lutz first got the job. we seemed to be a better defensive team. I hope we are getting back to that. Even though we are missing layups, I like that we have some players who will attack the basket. good things happen when we attack the basket. Goldwire needs to figure out that he doesnā€™t have to take so many shots though. He is a senior so I expect more from him.

[QUOTE=metro;279879]that is almost code for ā€œthe average fan doesnā€™t know how good Fairleigh-Dickinson isā€[/QUOTE]

or St Maryā€™s for that matterā€¦

their RPI is 178ā€¦ours is 153ā€¦6 points sounds about right to me.

hmmm they had also just won 3 straight games, including beating St Peters, who in turn blew out Monmouthā€¦looks like progress to me.

They did enough to win last night, especially given the fact that Leemire had his worst game in two years! IMO weā€™ve played one piss poor game since Monmouth and that was Tulsa. We are 7-0 at home right nowā€¦canā€™t remember the last time that happened. Iā€™m sure they were looking past last nightā€™s game to a certain degree and having a week off for Christmas break can bring about ugly play. My only concern right now is finding ways to win games on the road. This team is very young and inexperienced, with the exception of Leemire, so when Lee plays poor on the offensive end weā€™ll need to lean on our defense to win games. So long as we continue to improve and have more good games than bad (say 3-1 ratio) Iā€™m happy!! Every team has room for improvement and I think bringing Gerrity on board set the team back a few steps, but if weā€™re 9-5 going into conference play Iā€™ll be excited.

This is the first post in this thread worthy of the bandwidth.

thank you, o great message board god :rolleyes:

or St Mary's for that matter...

their RPI is 178ā€¦ours is 153ā€¦6 points sounds about right to me.

are you out of your mind? If you think a 6 point win vs FD is acceptable, you must not of followed 49er basketball long (though I see you graduated in 88). RPI does not indicate margin of victory. This game was meant to be a 20 point thrashing on the sked, instead it was a tight nailbighter. Totally inexcusable to Fairleigh-Dickinson.

This was the first game back from the Christmas break and we didnā€™t shoot well. Lee missed some open looks, but also hit a few with a guy in his face. Anjuan really stepped up and had a great game and it was good to see Gaby play so well. A win is a win. I think the level of play will be much better Saturday.