We gotta break out the gold uni's for TCU!

I know they repainted the floor and removed the bleachers in Belk, but that would’ve been awesome for one night. we could probably fit everyone who would come to watch the TCU game in Belk anyway.

Regardless, we need to break out the gold uniforms from back in the day. Hopefully ESPN Classic will use the old logo. (my avatar)

How many games get retro-fied on ESPN?

I the all retro games are going to be on ESPN Classic

Start the email bobby kummer campaign.

I watched some of this week’s retro game (TCU v. Tulane). The only noticable changes were the on screen graphics & Jim Simpson (yes he is still alive) was doing play by play.

I remember my freshman year when they were finishing Halton, we had midnight madness at Belk. That place was slammed. It would be neat to either do that again or play an exhibition there.

As for the gold unis, I would like to see how they look first, but I think we could have them as our alternate jerseys. I think Nike could come up with something sharp.

[i]Originally posted by moss2k[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 01:10 AM [b] I the all retro games are going to be on ESPN Classic [/b]
I meant "ESPN" as all-inclusive. I wasn't sure if a lot of games are going to be retro. I think it's really cool that our game is one of them.

I remember ESPN covering one of our games in the Mine Shaft about 20 years ago. Tom Mees was covering the game and couldn’t get over how dark and how loud it was in there, saying the nickname Mine Shaft was appropriate. He pointed out that UNCC was UNDEFEATED in the history of games played in the Mine Shaft and said that the conditions gave us an unbelievable advantage. Hal Wissel put a stop to that.

The ESPN crew freaked out when they tossed a cheerleader in the air and she came within an inch of cracking her skull on the cernter court scoreboard. I think they even showed a replay.

I have always loved the gold unis, and think it would be great to see them back.

Also, at Lutz Live, coach said that ESPN had just contacted Coach Mullins to do the Classic game. That will also be pretty special!

GO NINERS!!!

clt expresses that we should play “hey ya” by outkast. that is soo retro.

The pep band has practiced “Hey Ya”. I think its a really good sounding rendition. Everyone on NN.net should start a campaign for Hey YA as was done with the alma mater. We have music for this song, and we have practiced it. Send emails…That is if you wanna hear it.

[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 09:28 AM [b] I remember ESPN covering one of our games in the Mine Shaft about 20 years ago. Tom Mees was covering the game and couldn't get over how dark and how loud it was in there, saying the nickname Mine Shaft was appropriate. He pointed out that UNCC was UNDEFEATED in the history of games played in the Mine Shaft and said that the conditions gave us an unbelievable advantage. Hal Wissel put a stop to that.

The ESPN crew freaked out when they tossed a cheerleader in the air and she came within an inch of cracking her skull on the cernter court scoreboard. I think they even showed a replay. [/b]

I remember that game against East Tennessee State and Mees was in the restroom beforehand putting makeup on before gametime with 20 guys waiting in line to piss.

BTW, Hal Wissel put a stop to almost everything that relates to a basketball at UNCC. :rolleyes:

How many did the Mine Shaft seat?

Officially 3200 pcon, but butts were smaller in those days.

So why did we play games at the “Big I”? Where we sellout the Mine Shaft?

pcon, you’re bringing back many memories as I give you a history lesson. :smiley:

Coach Rose thoughtmoving games to the Coliseum was the way to build the program and increase exposure. The Mine Shaft was crowded, dark, hot and not suitable for what TV coverage was available then. Sold out? You could get in the building but if you were sitting up more than 3 rows, you were stuck there too. Also, the Sun Belt had a rule that you had to play conference games in the largest arena in your city. That was probably the largest reason for moving all games there. But it was bad for the SBC as GEorgia State often played in the Omni to crowds of under 500 and even worse was New Orleans having to play in the Superdome.

In the Final Four season, there were 5 games played in the Shaft and 9 games at the Coliseum (media guide is incorrect). All games were moved to the Coliseum in the 1977-78 season until Mike Pratt’s last season (1981-82) when 4 games returned to campus. The win streak at the Mine Shaft was 62 games when Wisselball failed in the opening game of the 1983-84 season, losing to UNCA 69-59.

Worth mentioning… Cedric Maxwell and Melvin Watkins never lost a home game as 49er players, 58-0.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 01:58 PM [b] Worth mentioning... Cedric Maxwell and Melvin Watkins never lost a home game as 49er players, 58-0. [/b]
58-0 WOW!! Didn't they play for UNCC when they went to the NIT finals and the Final Four in successive years? :wink:

Yes, they played both seasons. I must add reserve F/C Ken Angel to that list, a very cool guy who has returned for a few games in Halton in the past couple of years.

Thanks for the reason, HP. I been in the Mine Shaft for one baskeball related thing, Midnight Madness, and it was uncomfortable.

This is a great chance for the students to shine. It smells 70’s clothes all over the place. Afro’s. Bell bottoms. Striped turtle necks. That should be one of the time out contests.