We gotta break out the gold uni's for TCU!

Would a “Davidson - Just a Bunch of Husseys” t-shirt qualify for Throwback Night?

Yes, yes bring back the gold uni’s. I’ve been begging for them for about 10 years now. I’ll never get it. We’re the 49ers but nobody wants to promote the GOLD. It’s a natural fit.

Also, if they could find Reebok Pumps that would be hilarious.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 02:58 PM [b]pcon, you're bringing back many memories as I give you a history lesson. :D

Coach Rose thoughtmoving games to the Coliseum was the way to build the program and increase exposure. The Mine Shaft was crowded, dark, hot and not suitable for what TV coverage was available then. Sold out? You could get in the building but if you were sitting up more than 3 rows, you were stuck there too. Also, the Sun Belt had a rule that you had to play conference games in the largest arena in your city. That was probably the largest reason for moving all games there. But it was bad for the SBC as GEorgia State often played in the Omni to crowds of under 500 and even worse was New Orleans having to play in the Superdome.

In the Final Four season, there were 5 games played in the Shaft and 9 games at the Coliseum (media guide is incorrect). All games were moved to the Coliseum in the 1977-78 season until Mike Pratt’s last season (1981-82) when 4 games returned to campus. The win streak at the Mine Shaft was 62 games when Wisselball failed in the opening game of the 1983-84 season, losing to UNCA 69-59.

Worth mentioning… Cedric Maxwell and Melvin Watkins never lost a home game as 49er players, 58-0.[/b]

Thanks for the history lesson. I always enjoy hearing about the history of our program. Some of the younger fans like myself need to be educated about our past. I don’t pledge enough $ to get the media guides, but do they have a good write up on the history of our program in there or is it just stats? Are there any other materials out there that go over the history of 49er basketball? Just curious.

Maybe some of the long time Niner fans could have a weekly posting, something like “Moments of Niner History” to educate the younger fans and allow the older fans to look back. It sounds like there are alot of folks on this board my age (Class of '01) or younger. I only know about the Halton Days.

[b]This is a great chance for the students to shine. It smells 70's clothes all over the place. Afro's. Bell bottoms. Striped turtle necks. That should be one of the time out contests.[/b]

Start your nominations for the late 70’s music to be played during player intros, etc.

speaking of music, did anyone ever hear that jive 49ers theme song from the late 70s we had? I think they played it at a game once in the early 90s. It was so dated it was kind of funny.

[i]Originally posted by NinerLoudNProud[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 06:11 PM [b]
[b]This is a great chance for the students to shine. It smells 70's clothes all over the place. Afro's. Bell bottoms. Striped turtle necks. That should be one of the time out contests.[/b]

Start your nominations for the late 70’s music to be played during player intros, etc. [/b]

“Fanfare for the Common Man”
“Theme from Swat”
“Fire on High”
“Freeway Jam”
“Stranglehold” intro

[i]Originally posted by Mr. Bojangles[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 05:03 PM [b] Are there any other materials out there that go over the history of 49er basketball? Just curious. [/b]
[i]Charlotte and UNC Charlotte: Growing Up Together[/i] by Ken Sanford has several good sections on the basketball team up until the end of the Mullins era. Also, there is a book about the 1977 team called [i]Goal Rush![/i] Both can be found in Atkins.

Led Zeplin
"Kashmir"
“Whole Lotta Love”
“Rock and Roll”

[i]Originally posted by UNCCTF[/i]@Jan 14 2005, 09:52 PM [b] [i]Charlotte and UNC Charlotte: Growing Up Together[/i] by Ken Sanford has several good sections on the basketball team up until the end of the Mullins era. Also, there is a book about the 1977 team called [i]Goal Rush![/i] Both can be found in Atkins. [/b]
UNCCTF, does your father not have a copy of [i]Goal Rush[/i]? It was written by the late Bob Quincy, someone at the Observer that thought a lot of the program back in those days.

Ken Sanford’s book is also a good read for anyone interested in the “early” history of the University.

[b]QUOTE (UNCCTF @ Jan 14 2005, 09:52 PM) Charlotte and UNC Charlotte: Growing Up Together by Ken Sanford has several good sections on the basketball team up until the end of the Mullins era. Also, there is a book about the 1977 team called Goal Rush! Both can be found in Atkins.

UNCCTF, does your father not have a copy of Goal Rush? It was written by the late Bob Quincy, someone at the Observer that thought a lot of the program back in those days.

Ken Sanford’s book is also a good read for anyone interested in the “early” history of the University. [/b]

Can this books be find at local bookstores? If so, which ones?

pcon, Charlotte and UNC Charlotte: Growing Up Together can likely be found at the local bookstores, perhaps even in the campus bookstore. It was published about 6-7 years ago. Goal Rush was a limited edition paperback, I could copy it for you though. Anyone interested in it, just send me a PM.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er+Jan 14 2005, 01:22 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (HP49er @ Jan 14 2005, 01:22 PM)
[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 15 2005, 09:09 AM [b] UNCCTF, does your father not have a copy of [i]Goal Rush[/i]? It was written by the late Bob Quincy, someone at the Observer that thought a lot of the program back in those days. [/b]
I don't think he does (for those of you that don't know me, my dad was Class of 1977). We've both read it though. I have Ken Sanford's book - it's a very good read.
[i]Originally posted by 49erpi+Jan 15 2005, 09:35 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (49erpi @ Jan 15 2005, 09:35 AM)
Originally posted by HP49er@Jan 14 2005, 01:22 PM [b]
[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 15 2005, 10:23 AM [b] pcon, [i]Charlotte and UNC Charlotte: Growing Up Together[/i] can likely be found at the local bookstores, perhaps even in the campus bookstore. It was published about 6-7 years ago. [i]Goal Rush[/i] was a limited edition paperback, I could copy it for you though. Anyone interested in it, just send me a PM. [/b]
Here's a link to some of the places that have the Ken Sanford book. I'll go look for it at the local bookstores though. Thanks for the info guys.

http://www.bookfinder4u.com/IsbnSearch.asp…023&mode=direct

And while we’re on the topic of 49er history…

Hey HP, we’re all still waiting on that picture of Kinch’s tomahawk over Phil Hubbard from the 1977 Regional Final.

I was on e-bay and found this bas ass 49er “Mean Green” poster from 1980. Check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI…me=STRK:MEWA:IT

OH MAN! I’ve been looking for that for years. It looks like the aution is over and nobody bid.

[i]Originally posted by s9er+Jan 15 2005, 10:28 AM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (s9er @ Jan 15 2005, 10:28 AM)
Originally posted by 49erpi@Jan 15 2005, 09:35 AM [b]
Originally posted by HP49er@Jan 14 2005, 01:22 PM [b]
[b]Hey HP, we're all still waiting on that picture of Kinch's tomahawk over Phil Hubbard from the 1977 Regional Final.[/b]
I'll work on that for you, UNCCTF.

MeinShaft, that poster has been on eBay several times before. Keep checking back, they’ll relist it soon.

49erpi, you are correct, the ETSU game was in February, 1991. Jarvis broke his wrist in the season opener of 1991-92, Mullins’ best year of 23-9, highlighted by wins against top 20 DePaul and Alabama in the Tournament of Champions and a Metro Conference title. That team was pretty good even without Jarvis.