WFNZ - Please Increase Power!!

Is it just radio in my car or does WFNZ’s signal always die out when you get outside Mecklenburg County? I travel to Charlotte games from Mount Airy (95 miles 1-way), and on the way home, I can’t even listen to the post game interviews because by the time I reach Exit 28 on I-77, the signal is gone. Anyone else have this problem?

Yep, we all do.

another vote for yes, I guess they blew their budget on certain loudmouth idiots

I’m sure they’d like to. FCC won’t let 'em.

Mine started going around Tyvola last night heading southbound… :unsure:

I was in the Davidson parking lot after our win there and could not get a clear signal. So I guess Packer and his boys at FNZ talk a big, arrogant game, but they carry a very little stick in the big scheme of broadcasting. BROADcasting??!! haha

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 10:20 AM [b] I'm sure they'd like to. FCC won't let 'em. [/b]
Mike, do you know why that is?

Something to do with signal bleed on AM. If they’re stronger, they bleed into other stations in similar bands in other cities. They count seven counties in the ratings, and WFNZ cannot be heard clearly in all or parts of five of those seven. It’s a 5,000-watt signal, and if they could I’m sure they would increase it. It’s been six or seven years and they haven’t been able to get approval. Makes you wonder if they ever will. If you want a stronger signal, I’m afraid you need another flagship.

Mike, don’t they have to lower the signal to like 1000 watts at night ?

[i]Originally posted by BofANiner[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 10:42 AM [b] Mike, don't they have to lower the signal to like 1000 watts at night ? [/b]
Yeah, it's 5,000 during the day and 1,000 at night, when most of the games are played.

On the way to Charlotte (via 64/49) I could pick up 610 in Asheboro. On the way home I lost the signal just past Mt Pleasent.

I lose the signal going north on I-85 about the time I get to the rest area in Concord. Never hear all of the postgame show.

[b]QUOTE (BofANiner @ Feb 17 2005, 10:42 AM) Mike, don't they have to lower the signal to like 1000 watts at night ?

Yeah, it’s 5,000 during the day and 1,000 at night, when most of the games are played. [/b]

That answers my question, but why do they have to go down to 1000 at night?

Also, where is the station/signal located from at?

I think they are required to lower their output to 1000 watts at night because AM waves travel easier at night.

FCC: Why AM Radio Stations Must Reduce Power, Change Operations, or Cease Operations at Night

[b][b]Most AM radio stations are required by the FCC's rules to reduce their power or cease operating at night in order to avoid interference to other AM stations. Our rules governing the daytime and nighttime operation of AM radio stations are a consequence of the laws of physics. Because of the way in which the relatively long wavelengths of AM radio signals interact with the ionized layers of the ionosphere several miles above the earth's surface, the propagation of AM radio waves changes drastically from daytime to nighttime. [/b]This change in AM radio propagation occurs at sunset due to radical shifts in the ionospheric layers, which persist throughout the night. During daytime hours when ionospheric reflection does not occur to any great degree, AM signals travel principally by conduction over the surface of the earth. This is known as "groundwave" propagation. Useful daytime AM service is generally limited to a radius of no more than about 100 miles (162 km), even for the most powerful stations. However, during nighttime hours the AM signals can travel over hundreds of miles by reflection from the ionosphere, a phenomenon called "skywave" propagation. (Shortwave stations, which operate using AM modulation on several bands between between 2.3 MHz and 26.1 MHz, also use this phenomenon to broadcast still greater distances, up to thousands of miles). Because of this change in signal propagation from daytime to nighttime, if every AM station kept its daytime operating power at night, massive interference would result.[/b]

For a slightly less verbose explanation, AM vs. FM Preferences:

[b]Theoretically, there can be at most (1605-535)/10 = 107 AM stations in an area. In practice, the number of AM stations in an area is much lower for a number of other reasons. AM signals can be reflected from the ionospheric layer back to earth, so that the signals can reach unintended places that are thousands of miles away. Further, the ionospheric reflection is increased during the night time. Therefore, the AM signal from a powerful station in one city can be received in another city, which may be in another country. For example, when Cuba was attempting to interfere with the broadcasts of Radio MartĂ­ in Florida, their signals were interfering with a radio station in Iowa. [b]Consequently, AM signals are often subject to regulations such as the use of directional antennae or reduced power at night time or even going off the air at night.[/b][/b]

Aye Captain, she’s giving you all she’s got.

I have been able to pick up the other WFNZ station (1600 or 1660am, I forget which) up in Greensboro at night. It’s fuzzy but audible.

I have picked up 1110 WBT (a 50,000 watt station) in Cleveland, OH and Tampa, FL clear as a bell at night. John Hancock says the WBT range goes all the way into Canada and Cuba.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 10:37 AM [b] If you want a stronger signal, I'm afraid you need another flagship. [/b]
That one gets my vote. I would love to see our games broadcast on FM or satellite radio next year.
[i]Originally posted by Sideshow[/i]@Feb 17 2005, 12:54 PM [b] I have been able to pick up the other WFNZ station (1600 or 1660am, I forget which) up in Greensboro at night. It's fuzzy but audible.

I have picked up 1110 WBT (a 50,000 watt station) in Cleveland, OH and Tampa, FL clear as a bell at night. John Hancock says the WBT range goes all the way into Canada and Cuba. [/b]

I think there is another 610 station somewhere in the southeast that interferes with FNZ at night outside Meck county.

There are a few AM stations that have permits to output higher power because they have almost an exclusive right to their frequency. 700 Cincy, 750 Atlanta, 770 NY. If you have a fair antenna, you can pick up these at night. I think 1100 is similar, but not sure.

Lets plea for 1110 AM to pick up the games. I’ve heard their signal is one of the strongest in the naiton. On a cross country trip a few years ago I caught the signal near Harrisburg, PA. That is of course an anomoly(sp). Those sonsaguns would probably never entertain the idea, so nevermind, I’m sorry I bothered you.