WH previews 2008-09

NO FRIGGIN JUCOS!!! Weā€™ve got 6 guards on schollie right now who are soph or freshmen. Let them compete and grow into the position.

I was opposed to this at first. But I like the concept better the more I think abnout it. Itā€™s at least worth a look. My wish is for Ian to magically turn into another Jobey over the summer but thatā€™s doing some powerful wishing.

If we donā€™t have a SG that Lutz is comfortable with, I donā€™t think thereā€™s a question that heā€™s going the JUCO route to get one. Why wouldnā€™t he? He has in the past. And a Shooting Guard? Do we REALLY think that Lutz is going to go a season without a shooting guard?

id rather have a really good two year player like evans(character issues aside) than a mediocre for year player. this guy could give us a good 1-2 scoring punch with him and mack.

mack can dunk, he not super athletic but he is strong and you dont have to be a great athlete to be a good inside player. he can take guys off the dribble or play with his back to the basket, he did it this year and drew a bunch of and 1's.
This is Mack's game. He knows how to hit shots over and around guys without necessarily out-jumping or out-quicking them. There's a ton of guys in college that are just crafty around the basket, and Mack fits this mold. I actually wish he'd start out down low every possession before floating out to the 3-pt line, as he is much more effective at this than the contested 3. When he's hot, he can hit the 3, but he had some really off games this year, but still managed to score some down low (or draw fouls). I also don't think he's all that bad on D, but he reaches too much instead of moving his feet. He often looked winded, so maybe conditioning was as much an issue for his D as overall quickness.

Hope WH is right that GW returns to upper half A-10 form next season so that it doesnā€™t drag down the league RPI, etc. Interesting observations on La Salle as well.

Mack is the most productive JUCO forward weā€™ve had sinceā€¦

Seriously. Itā€™s been a while. Do we not remember how much of a leap our JUCO forwards used to make from Jr to Sr. year? I hesitate to think Mack could still do it, because heā€™s already as good as most of them were in year #2.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;308770]Mack is the most productive JUCO forward weā€™ve had sinceā€¦

Seriously. Itā€™s been a while. Do we not remember how much of a leap our JUCO forwards used to make from Jr to Sr. year? I hesitate to think Mack could still do it, because heā€™s already as good as most of them were in year #2.[/QUOTE]
Was Cam a JUCO? He was a beast his senior year. Jermaine Williams was also getting good when his eligibility ran out.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;308773]Was Cam a JUCO? He was a beast his senior year. Jermaine Williams was also getting good when his eligibility ran out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but maybe I wasnt clear enough - how were they their Junior years?

I liked both guys a lot, but I remember us being a tad disappointed by their first year.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;308774]Yeah, but maybe I wasnt clear enough - how were they their Junior years?

I liked both guys a lot, but I remember us being a tad disappointed by their first year.[/QUOTE]
Well, I was a freshman their senior years, so I donā€™t know a ton about their junior years. I did watch a lot of games on TV, and I donā€™t remember seeing either of them very much.

[QUOTE=UNCCTF;308773]Was Cam a JUCO?[/QUOTE]
Cam was really more of a hybrid. Frosh at Purdue, then a single season of JUCO at Vincennes.

Charlotte49ers.com: Cam Stephens profile

[QUOTE=W.H.;308644]
Iā€™d like to see Charlotte go for more high-percentage shots and only shoot treys when players get open, preferably from dribble kickouts or good ball movement.[/QUOTE]

When pigs fly, WH, when pigs fly.

I say we should go after a juco shooting gaurd like Rashad Coleman or Tyree Evans and it looks like we are. Ian is not starting material and Bowden and Barnett are just freshman. If we could land Coleman with 3 or 2.5 years of eligibility and he is a player thats just as good as getting a Bowden or Barnett cause chances are they will sit most of the first year thus technically making them 3 year contributors like Coleman, if indeed he has the eligibilty.

Mack is going to be sick next year, cant wait

WH has also started a thread on the A-10 board about new players in the league next season. Itā€™s a little more comprehensive than the list I have in the Recruiting Forum in that he includes redshirts from the 2007-08 season in addition to frosh, transfers, JUCOs (only one so far, if I remember right, and thatā€™s a Bona recruit), etc.

A-10 board: New Players For 2008

I donā€™t know that Ian wonā€™t be starting material by the time fall rolls around. The kid made huge strides between his frosh and sophomore season. He MIGHT not be starting material by then, but I hope he is. I really like Dewhurst as a starting 2g though.

I don't know that Ian won't be starting material by the time fall rolls around. The kid made huge strides between his frosh and sophomore season. He MIGHT not be starting material by then, but I hope he is. I really like Dewhurst as a starting 2g though.
I can't imagine Bobby putting Dewberry at the 2G unless Lutz totally overhauls the offense. No way he can play the 2G in the current system.

Dewhurst doesnā€™t need to start at any position, if he continues to play at the level he did during the last part of the season. Several games he didnā€™t contribute much. He looked extremely frustrated at times. I hope he isnā€™t fretting over PT because Wilderness is going to need major minutes at the SF next year.

I also hope Gaby can improve. I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see him develop into a better player than Big Phil.

[QUOTE=bball49er;309117]I canā€™t imagine Bobby putting Dewberry at the 2G unless Lutz totally overhauls the offense. No way he can play the 2G in the current system.
[/quote]

I know it.

Dewhurst doesn't need to start at any position, if he continues to play at the level he did during the last part of the season. Several games he didn't contribute much. He looked extremely frustrated at times. I hope he isn't fretting over PT because Wilderness is going to need major minutes at the SF next year.

I do think he fell off at the end of the year. But he still got after every loose bound and helped us rebound better. He is also a good defender. I just hate watching our team trap in the paint and get burned for wide open threes. That is one thing I hope we drop this year because it makes our PGs and SFs look terrible on the defensive end. The SGs just look bad when they are getting screened and fall off.

[quote]
I also hope Gaby can improve. I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see him develop into a better player than Big Phil.[/QUOTE]

I think he could as well, but hopefully they will both improve drastically. They could be a nice starting frontcourt if they continue to develop their game.

WH comments on guard play in the A-10 in his latestā€¦

Charlotte, Rhode Island, St. Joeā€™s and Temple all got above-average performances from the point guard spot, but it wasnā€™t necessarily a position of great strength.

The Ninersā€™ duo of Harris and Gerrity was the best of the bunch.

A-10 board: Guards, Guards, Guards

Iā€™m not as worried as some about our SG spot. Weā€™ve recently been running hybrids at the 2G spot for awhile. Leemire, Demon, and Alexander were not prototypical SGs.

We now have Ian, which is a true catch and shoot SG. Bowden is there to grow into the next SG his next few years. While we cannot compare Ian to past players, he has enough experience that he should grow into the spot next year. And the other guys on the team can make longer shots. Wilderness shot has progressed. Jones has always had a good stroke. Coley, too. DiJuan is respectable. And then there is Mack. The people that probably need the most help with their shot are Gerrity, Gaby, and Dewhurst.

Charlotte always finishes well when we have a good frontcourt. Our recent bad years have always been when not much existed under the basket.

The real worry is the PF spot after next year. What recruits do we have lined up to fill that void?

I'm not as worried as some about our SG spot. We've recently been running hybrids at the 2G spot for awhile. Leemire, Demon, and Alexander were not prototypical SGs.

We now have Ian, which is a true catch and shoot SG. Bowden is there to grow into the next SG his next few years. While we cannot compare Ian to past players, he has enough experience that he should grow into the spot next year. And the other guys on the team can make longer shots. Wilderness shot has progressed. Jones has always had a good stroke. Coley, too. DiJuan is respectable. And then there is Mack. The people that probably need the most help with their shot are Gerrity, Gaby, and Dewhurst.

Charlotte always finishes well when we have a good frontcourt. Our recent bad years have always been when not much existed under the basket.

The real worry is the PF spot after next year. What recruits do we have lined up to fill that void?

I agree we need a strong PF. We also need a PG who can score. Harris and Gerrity donā€™t score enough to be considered a threat. Gerrity can drive a little but canā€™t finish. Harris canā€™t drive at all. Harris can only shoot if he is really, really, open. Demon was a PG who could score. Colson could score. Diego played point some. Mitchell Baldwin had promise at first but he was disappointing in the end. I think it has gotten worse with Gerrity and Harris.