what are we missing?

[quote=ā€œNinerballin, post:36, topic:22464ā€][quote=ā€œNinerLove, post:33, topic:22464ā€][quote=ā€œEJNiner, post:29, topic:22464ā€][quote=ā€œhootie, post:19, topic:22464ā€]Seriously- we are missing a PG that is a threat with the ball and a 3 that is a threat with the ball. Put Ian on the floor and you have the world guarding 2 players in the half court set.

Love Harrisā€™ heart, but heā€™s limited by height and shooting ability. Dew and Wilderness just arenā€™t threats unless itā€™s layups or put backs- personally Iā€™d give KJ some of those minutes.

Weā€™re pretty good when Greenā€™s on, when heā€™s off, weā€™re not going to beat a good team and now that teams have figured that out theyā€™re keying on him and we havenā€™t had anyone step up. Going to be a long 5 games if someone doesnā€™t grow a set.[/quote]

Harris made terrible decisions against the press last night which is very unusual for him. Seemd out of sorts all night long. We actually played very well last night when Green ran the point.

Green wasnā€™t defended that well last night. He had plenty of open looks and missed them. Not to mention he commmitted 4 lazy, silly fouls. After he missed his first few shots he started to force everything. His bad night is on him NOT the Dukes defense.

Defense sucked last nightā€¦23 assits and 50% shooting is inexcusable! soft soft soft and why do we continue to double down on big men that have no post moves and no outside shot? ??? ? Left Clark and Duty with WIDE open 3ā€™s all night long. I donā€™t understand that at all!!!

Ian sucks! Nice kid but no defense or physical presence at all. And when he failed to box out Duty on that FT right before half I lost it!![/quote]

Our problems are not with Harris (u will all see that next year when you are wishing he was here). Green needs to relax and stop trying to be a shooter, which he is not. He is a scorer and needs to take what he is given (ie. more of an oportunitist)[/quote]

Itā€™s not a knock on Dijuan, but I call BS. Briscoe will be running the point, and no team can lay off. They are going to have to guard Briscoe agressively, or he will make teams pay.[/quote]

I kind of agree with NinerBallin on this. I mean I love Harrisā€™ effort and all, but at some point you have to be a threat to shoot the ball. Also, while he is generally very good against the press his assists numbers are not unheard of this year and are well below last year. Also, just think about our offense this year, while it is generally better than in recent years, we do still struggle to make plays in the half-court and some of that HAS to go back on the ball-handler, does it not? Most of our entry passes are easy/predictable bounce passes to Spears with a man on his hip. Doesnā€™t take a great assist man to make that pass.

[quote=ā€œmetro, post:39, topic:22464ā€]I feel bad for Brisco already. We have 2-3 posters on here who have seen him hanging around the gym that think he is Chris Paul. And I hope he is.

All I see is 79 asst/124 TO his first yr @ NCCU. Scares me at the point (granted he probably had nobody to pass to). One game he had 9 TO and 0 asst.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/north-carolina-charlotte/jamar-briscoe/game_stats?season=2008-2009&stat_type=1&game_type=1&chart1=minutes&chart2=points&chart3=assists&chart4=rebounds_total&chart5=

Flip flop that number and I get excited.

Harris is at 113/59 currently which is solid.

the highlight reel is fun to watch I admit. He loves the FT pull up jumper.
Jamar ā€œDueceā€ Briscoe Highlights[/quote]
The video scares me a little quite honestly. First of all, how tall is he? He looks to be a head shorter than Harris, maybe itā€™s just the video, hope so. But, you donā€™t have to be 6ā€™2" to be effective (it helps though).

Secondly, he looks like a me-first type of player, not exactly what I would want in a PG.

Conversely, he does have a scorers mentality which tends to serve Lutz system pretty well if he can calm the shoot-first instinct a bit. He probably had to have it at NCCU, they didnā€™t seem to have many options.

Hope he is the missing link for next year. Last nightā€™s game aside, Harris has been pretty solid if not spectacular for us the couple of years. Weā€™ll see, it will be interesting anyway.

For next year I really hope the guys work hard and stay together. Weā€™ve got a good core for years to come if some things, like Briscoe, come together.

HArris is a great pg. The only thing I wish he did MORE was what Gerrity would doā€¦ drive the ball and dump off.

Harris could create a LOT more opportunities if he drove to break down the defense. Harris dribbling and passing beyond the 3 point line doesnā€™t help all that much.

We need another shooter on the floor.
We need cutters to the basket the minute Shamari gets doubled.
We need Shamari to see the double coming and dump the ball BEFORE it gets there.
We need Dijuan to shoot when open and kick out when applicable.
We need our SF to actually be able to drive, shoot and score. We donā€™t have this at all.
We need guards that can make an entry pass.
We need big men that can hold onto the ball.
We need our big men to flush the ball. Those layups by Chris, Shamari and Phil kill me! Cam or Kelvin would have taken it to the rim.
We need to recognize the hot shooter and lock him down on D.
And for godā€™s sake recognize the back door cut.

It sounds like I am bitching - but if we could do half of these we win the league going away.

[quote=ā€œcibik02, post:43, topic:22464ā€]HArris is a great pg. The only thing I wish he did MORE was what Gerrity would doā€¦ drive the ball and dump off.

Harris could create a LOT more opportunities if he drove to break down the defense. Harris dribbling and passing beyond the 3 point line doesnā€™t help all that much.[/quote]

This, yes! Except in transition, when is the last time anyone remembers Harris driving to the rim and dishing?

We are missing shooters.

And, honestly, some athleticism.

What were missing is someone that can create his own shot and consistently knock down a mid range jumper.

Power big guys not afraid to DUNK!

[quote=ā€œcibik02, post:48, topic:22464ā€]Power big guys not afraid to DUNK![/quote]If Spears wasnā€™t 6ā€™3, Iā€™m sure heā€™d dunk. Phil and Braswell are finesse players. If Anjuan or Dew could make a jumper, theyā€™d get enough room to get some dunks, but their defenders just pack it in on them instead.

• Alley-oops! I miss CC3ā€¦