What are your top 5 most painful 49er losses?

[QUOTE=4t9er;245948]Obviously, you guys have pointed out alot of tough losses, but the ones I remember the most, was losing to Boston University on our own court when Joey Beard bashed on us in a tie game with like half a second left, and Kent also beat us with a last second shot in Hatlon. These were probaby 2 of the first 5-10 losses we took at Halton, before the days of losing 15 games in one year came around. The BU game was horrible, we were really good that year, and we totally took that team for granted, and we were leading the whole game until the last minute or so, maybe until that last shot.[/QUOTE]

I couldnā€™t agree with you more, that was my freshman year, and I remember that like it was yesterday. We were supposed to be great that year, and it started out soooooooo awfully. That NC State loss made me feel awful also, I was in a sports bar with a bunch of State fans and I was talking so much crap in the 1st half, only to be brought to my knees in the collapse of the second half.

The string of 1st round conf tourney losses. How many has it been, like 3?

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;247009]The string of 1st round conf tourney losses. How many has it been, like 3?[/QUOTE]

Last win we had was against Tulane. I also think that was the year we had a 5 way tie for first in the conference.

Bump: saw this very same topic over on the AAC board. Still agree with most of the ones listed, but Iā€™ll add a couple more that are in the ā€œhumiliating/disgustingā€ category:

Belmont Abbey 2020
Eckerd College 1983?
Any loss to ECU

The loss of our leader, Judith Rose

Why are you doing this to us on a Friday!?!?!? :grinning:

That close to the 2005 season stings the most. Our program still has not recovered.

Ranked #18 at #9 Louisville for the C-USA title on ESPN

The hangover from that game caused us to lose at USF a few days later. I was there and watched all 16 USF fans storm the court after beating their first ranked opponent in decades. I think I posted a picture of it here I took with my flip phone.

Played C-USA Tourney host Memphis in the 2nd Rd after getting a bye in the first round.

Then on the day Phil Dubious was hired, we lost to NC State after having a halftime lead. That was our last NCAA Tourney appearance, the last time we were ranked, last game in CUSA and the program has spiraled downhill ever since. The day the music died.

2 Likes

clt adds ā€œhelliwell for threeā€

Welp, time to call my therapist after revisiting that trauma.

4 Likes

Marquette defeats Charlotte at the buzzer as Cedric Maxwell fronts Jerome Whitehead and Whitehead pushes off grabs the ball for an easy lay up with 3 seconds left. Marquette defeats Chapel Hill for the National Championship.

Why Cornbread was fronting Whitehead is beyond me. There was no way Whitehead would come close to making that shot if he had to take it from 18 feet.

Maybe my memory is failing, but werenā€™t we ranked in 2010 before the end of season collapseā€¦leading to Bobby being fired?

receiving votes going into the sold-out Xavier game (I came back to town for that one).

5 . 1998 NCAA Second Round
4 . 1977 Final Four
3 . Bobby Lutz
2 . Ellis Parlier
1 . Riley Howell

Unconventional listā€¦but couldnā€™t limit it to sports.

1 Like

1 MBB vs Marquette in 1977 NCAA FF semi

2 MBB vs Kentucky in 1976 NIT final

3 MSOC vs UNC-CH in 2011 College Cup final

4 MSOC vs FIU in 1996 College Cup semi

5 MBB vs NC State in 2005 NCAAT