What CUSA team would you most like ...

Jena asked about this in the CUSA conference call, with some interesting responses. Probably won’t publish poll result, but we might.

Way to go Jena!

Will the responses she got be published?

I would have replaced DePaul with UAB. They are a bigger rival.

Only team I would really want to see us continue a rivalry with after UC is UL, because they are a big time team that we can beat routinely. The series is tied 14-14, that’s about as close as you can get.

I don’t want to deal with ECU anymore, they are an RPI killer. I don’t want to deal with Memphis anymore or their fans. I don’t want to deal with UAB anymore, because quite frankly, they know how to beat us.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 01:50 PM [b] I don't want to deal with UAB anymore, because quite frankly, they know how to beat us. [/b]
Well, that and Hickler is incredibly annoying.

We’ll be writing about what she heard. One coach was particularly good …

Are there any of these series you absolutely expect to continue? Are absolutely sure won’t continue? Why?

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:07 PM [b] Are there any of these series you absolutely expect to continue? Are absolutely sure won't continue? Why? [/b]
I really don't expect any to continue. However I'm pretty well positive that we won't see Memphis or Louisville again. I REALLY hope we don't throw EZU a bone by agreeing to continue the series with them. They are an RPI atomic bomb.

If we were going to keep any up I think the most realistic would be Marquette b/c of our history with them or possibly Sincy if Huggs is willing. He and Bobby are pretty good friends and that might play a role.

IMO Cincinnati is the only that possibly make any sense as a true rival.

When is the last time that a game vs. any of the other teams meant something to the season?

Sure a win last year in Memphis would have arguably given Charlotte the conference title. But who knew that at the time it happened? If that game was played at the end of the regular season than you would have had the beginnings of a rivalry.

UAB, because of its longevity, would be the NEXT closest version of a rival.

As far as expecting any series to continue/not continue, my guess is maybe Cincinnati. But because of the advance planning (Cinci & Charlotte) in OOC schedules, it wouldn’t surprise me if the series took a year or two off.

Naturally Cincinnati, but the Louisville series has been a good one over the years too. I don’t think you’ll see a matchup against any of those schools, good and bad, in the future.

DePaul and Marquette want none of us and there’s not much reason to play in the midwest after joining the A-10. As long as Pitino is around, he’ll never return to Charlotte. Cincinnati would likely rather play someone other than the 49ers, and I’m not sure Bobby would be so keen on two trips to Cincy (vs Xavier) in one season if it was scheduled that way. Playing UAB will do nothing, I’d rather play a weak SEC team. ECU is a RPI killer.

Memphis… WHO CARES?

[i]Originally posted by HP49er[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:23 PM [b]I'm not sure Bobby would be so keen on two trips to Cincy (vs Xavier) in one season if it was scheduled that way. [/b]
Gee, I thought Bobby would be all over that . He'd be able to get twice as much Montgomery Inn ribs & Skyline Chili !!!! :D :D :D

Bobby has said numerous times without hesitation that Lousiville will never voluntarily play us. Not sure why.

I think an ongoing thing with UC is possible, but I doubt it will be a home and home like we have with Davidson. Maybe a 2 for 1 or something. Like MK said he and Huggs are friends and we all know that coaching friendships and/or alumnus history go a long way in scheduling. The only reason we got to play Duke in Cameron was because of Jeff Mullins, and getting the Bama series might have something to do with Orlando Early being there.

I think most would say Cinci, however, the likelihood of that happening is slim. Take a look at Cinci’s non-Conf schedule over the last 5 or more years…they schedule W’s not true opponents.

[i]Originally posted by KissMyAxe[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:37 PM [b] I think most would say Cinci, however, the likelihood of that happening is slim. Take a look at Cinci's non-Conf schedule over the last 5 or more years......they schedule W's not true opponents. [/b]
That's true.... the Big East will be tough enough without loading up your OOC schedule. However I can't help but be optimistic about ur OOC going forward though. Just look at the A-10's OOC this year... it's insane. I see NO reason why our OOC schedule will not mirror that of our A-10 bretheren. If it doesn't, then it really is true that teams are afraid to schedule us.
[i]Originally posted by KissMyAxe[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:37 PM [b] I think most would say Cinci, however, the likelihood of that happening is slim. Take a look at Cinci's non-Conf schedule over the last 5 or more years......they schedule W's not true opponents. [/b]
Yeah, Wake Forest and Illinois are pretty terrible.
[i]Originally posted by Powerbait+Jan 10 2005, 02:41 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Powerbait @ Jan 10 2005, 02:41 PM)
[i]Originally posted by NormanNiner[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:40 PM [b] That's true.... the Big East will be tough enough without loading up your OOC schedule. However I can't help but be optimistic about ur OOC going forward though. Just look at the A-10's OOC this year... it's insane. I see NO reason why our OOC schedule will not mirror that of our A-10 bretheren. If it doesn't, then it really is true that teams are afraid to schedule us. [/b]
Dayton – Cincinnati, DePaul, Saint Louis, Vanderbilt Dusquene – Boston College, Pittsburgh, Santa Clara, West Virginia Fordham – Boston University, Villanova George Washington – Maryland, Michigan State, Wake Forest, West Virginia LaSalle – Cincinnati, Southern California, Villanova Massachusetts – Boston College, Boston University, Connecticut, Florida State, Gonzaga, Miami Rhode Island – Boston University, DePaul, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall Richmond – Alabama Birmingham, Arizona, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, South Florida, Virginia, Wake Forest Saint Bonaventure – Syracuse, West Virginia Saint Joseph’s – Kansas, Ohio State Temple – Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Duke, Georgetown, Maryland, South Carolina, Villanova, Wake Forest Xavier – Cincinnati, Creighton, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Tennessee

I’d kill for GW’s OOC.

[i]Originally posted by MKNiner[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:58 PM [b]I'd kill for GW's OOC.[/b]
According to David Scott of the Observer, GW is the mid-major of the week! :o :wacko: :silly: :hammer:

[b]MID-MAJOR OF THE WEEK

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Wake Forest’s victory against the Colonials in its season opener didn’t seem like a big deal at the time. Now it looks like an impressive victory for the Deacons. No. 24 George Washington (9-2) has won nine of 10 since then, including victories against Maryland and Michigan State. Besides, when your best player’s name is (Pops Mensah-Bonsu) is as good as his game (15.2 points, 7.7 rebounds), you deserve some attention.[/b]

Charlotte.com: FORECASTING THE NCAA TOURNAMENT | DAVID SCOTT

Mike, what has David been smoking?! Probably something he got from Billy Packer! :lol:

Has David Scott been getting his info from Langston? :stuck_out_tongue:

As for the topic, I’m not buying into the whole “Lutz/Huggins are buddies so we’ll continue playing” crap. They may be friends but I don’t see Huggins choosing to come back into Halton if he doesn’t have to. It won’t really be a huge boost for their RPI and he knows it’s a game he’ll likely lose. And no offense to the Bearcats but there’s no way we should give them a 2-for-1 deal.

I’m not expecting to ever play any of these guys again unless it’s in March. And I agree that we should never play ECU again once we’re in the A-10. I hate to sound like an ACC elitist but they suck and we gain absolutely nothing from beating up on them. The only school with “Carolina” in their name that I’d like to play, outside of the Holes and Wolfpack, is maybe UNC Greensboro (who’s RPI is surprisingly good). We could give them a 2-for-1 and make a roadtrip up 85 for the game there.

If we never play Memphis again it will be too soon.

Cincy in 04-05

Nov 19 VALPARAISO Fifth Third Arena WXIX W, 88-70
Nov 24 NORTHERN IOWA$ Fifth Third Arena WXIX/UCVision W, 76-70 (2 OT)
Nov 27 vs. Purdue% Indianapolis, Ind. Fox Sports Ohio W, 79-59
Dec 4 at Dayton Dayton, Ohio ESPN W, 65-55
Dec 9 VANDERBILT Fifth Third Arena WXIX/UCVision W, 88-72
Dec 11 DETROIT Fifth Third Arena WXIX W, 61-44
Dec 18 NORTHWESTERN ST$ Fifth Third Arena W, 81-65
Dec 20 JACKSON ST Fifth Third Arena WXIX W, 95-43
Dec 22 LA SALLE Fifth Third Arena WXIX W, 84-63
Dec 27 MIAMI OHIO U.S. Bank Arena WXIX W, 77-53
Dec 30 vs. Longwood$ Las Vegas, Nev. Fox Sports Ohio W, 95-69
Dec 31 vs. Illinois$ Las Vegas, Nev. Fox Sports Ohio L, 45-67
Jan 22 WAKE FOREST Fifth Third Arena ABC 1:00 p.m. ET
Feb 10 XAVIER& Fifth Third Arena ESPN2 9:00 p.m. ET

Cincy in 03-04

Nov 22 AKRON Fifth Third Arena WXIX-TV 19 W, 88-66
Nov 24 OAKLAND Fifth Third Arena W, 89-60
Nov 29 COPPIN ST Fifth Third Arena W, 76-56
Dec 2 VALPARAISO Valparaiso, Ind. WXIX-TV 19 W, 68-49
Dec 17 CLEMSON Fifth Third Arena WXIX-TV 19 W, 79-56
Dec 20 MIDDLE TENNESSEE Fifth Third Arena WXIX-TV 19 W, 89-54
Dec 23 DAYTON Fifth Third Arena WXIX-TV 19 W, 82-53
Dec 27 MIAMI OHIO U.S. Bank Arena WXIX-TV 19 W, 83-63
Dec 30 ELON Fifth Third Arena W, 102-63
Feb 3 at Xavier (Skyline Chili Crosstown Shootout) Cincinnati, Ohio ESPN2 L, 69-71
Feb 15 at Wake Forest Winston-Salem, N.C. ABC L, 85-91

Cincy in 02-03

Nov 23 TENNESSEE TECH WXIX-TVListen Live W, 54-48
Nov 26 FLORIDA A&M Listen Live W, 80-53 Nov 30 at Dayton Listen Live L, 69-75
Dec 2 VALPARAISO WXIX-TVListen Live W, 76-50
Dec 7 XAVIER (SKYLINE CHILI CROSSTOWN SHOOTOUT) ESPN L, 44-50
Dec 14 LA SALLE WXIX-TVListen Live W, 65-62
Dec 17 vs. Oregon (Jimmy V Classic) East Rutherford, N.J. ESPN W, 77-52
Dec 22 at Clemson Anderson Civic Center Fox Sports L, 51-58
Dec 28 MIAMI OHIO (U.S. BANK ARENA) WXIX-TVListen Live W, 66-54
Jan 2 CHATTANOOGA Listen Live W, 81-51
Feb 9 OKLAHOMA ST ABC W, 61-50

Cincy in 01-02

Nov 16 at Oklahoma St ESPN L, 62-69
Nov 20 WRIGHT ST WXIX-TV W, 83-54
Nov 24 UNLV ESPN2 W, 74-61
Nov 28 DAYTON WXIX-TV W, 77-55
Dec 1 DUQUESNE WXIX-TV W, 74-41
Dec 8 COPPIN ST WXIX-TV W, 90-39
Dec 10 TOLEDO WXIX-TV W, 68-55
Dec 14 at Xavier ESPN W, 75-55
Dec 17 RICHMOND (LAS VEGAS CLASSIC) WXIX-TV W, 77-46
Dec 20 vs. UL Monroe (Las Vegas Classic) Fox Sports W, 102-66
Dec 21 vs. Mississippi St (Las Vegas Classic) Fox Sports W, 90-56
Dec 22 vs. Purdue (Las Vegas Classic) Fox Sports W, 79-62
Dec 29 vs. Akron (Rock-N-Roll Shootout, Cleveland, Ohio) WXIX-TV W, 73-57
Feb 9 at Wake Forest ABC W, 103-94

Didn’t find Duke anywhere in there. Looking at the Sagarine Ratings over the last 5 years, Cincy and our SOS’s have been very close each year. The difference being that they get to play almost all of their mid-majors at home, and they can get 2-3 marquee games each year to offset their cupcakes. We have to go on the road to the mid-majors at least one time during the scheduling deal, and usually at least twice for a marquee program. Playing a team at home or in a neutral setting is much better than playing them at their place. You can argue that past success has helped Cincy get that right in scheduling, but they haven’t been much more successful than we have over the last 5 years in postseason play. Hopefully the RPI will help us when we have to go on the road if we play like we did last year. If we get an L, though, it doesn’t really matter.

Mike, Cincy would be the only team that would play us out of the teams we would want to play. Memphis and UAB wouldn’t kill your RPI, but they aren’t teams that our fans would look forward to playing. None of other Big-East-to-be’s will play us. Marquette already schedules like Syracuse, and DePaul and Louisville want no part of us. We will have to hunt even harder now for good non-conference games because our conference RPI will not help us like it has lately.