What CUSA team would you most like ...

We could argue all day whether the A-10 is midmajor. There’s not a real definition. I don’t think anyone on here would mention GW with Kansas, Maryland or Alabama in terms of “major program” status. To me, you’re a mid-major if you don’t regularly make the NCAA tournament, and on the borderline unless you advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament regularly, at least 4 times every 10 years. That puts you in the top 32 at least 40 percent of the time. If you’re usually in the 100-200 RPI range, that’s mid major. Consistently in the NCAA field is high major, if you’re advancing regularly. Below 200 is low major. Just playing in a particular conference doesn’t make you a high major. You play high major competition, but you’re not a high major. There are some CUSA schools who, by my reckoning, are mid-majors because of their performance.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:07 PM [b] Are there any of these series you absolutely expect to continue? Are absolutely sure won't continue? Why? [/b]
I only consider UAB, Cincy, and DePaul as possible games going forward.

I also wouldn’t take a 2 for 1 deal from Cincy. Why would we when we could get one of those from a school like Indiana.

:popcorn:

Duke lost to the Bearcats, 77-75, in the Great Alaska Shootout championship game in the 1998-1999 season. It doesn’t seem like it was that long ago.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 04:02 PM [b] We could argue all day whether the A-10 is midmajor. There's not a real definition. I don't think anyone on here would mention GW with Kansas, Maryland or Alabama in terms of "major program" status. To me, you're a mid-major if you don't regularly make the NCAA tournament, and on the borderline unless you advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament regularly, at least 4 times every 10 years. That puts you in the top 32 at least 40 percent of the time. If you're usually in the 100-200 RPI range, that's mid major. Consistently in the NCAA field is high major, if you're advancing regularly. Below 200 is low major. Just playing in a particular conference doesn't make you a high major. You play high major competition, but you're not a high major. There are some CUSA schools who, by my reckoning, are mid-majors because of their performance. [/b]
So is Virginia Tech a mid-major?

There is a difference between elite, such as Kansas and Maryland, and major like Texas Tech or GW.

[b]What CUSA team would you most like for the Niners to maintain their rivalry with after the move to the A-10? Cincinnati [ 26 ] [92.86%] Depaul [ 0 ] [0.00%] East Carolina [ 0 ] [0.00%] Louisville [ 1 ] [3.57%] Marquette [ 0 ] [0.00%] Memphis [ 0 ] [0.00%] Somebody else [ 1 ] [3.57%] Total Votes: 28 [/b]

Oh, you like us!

You really, really like us!

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 03:44 PM [b] Didn't find Duke anywhere in there. [/b]
They played Duke in the 1998 Alaska Shootout. They beat Duke on a buzzer beating coast to coast dunk.

Edit: Dammit HP!

[i]Originally posted by NovaNiner[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 04:06 PM [b] So is Virginia Tech a mid-major?

[/b]

Yes.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 04:02 PM [b] To me, you're a mid-major if you don't regularly make the NCAA tournament, and on the borderline unless you advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament regularly, at least 4 times every 10 years. [/b]
Under that definition, NCSU, Clemson, Florida State and Virginia are mid-major teams.
[i]Originally posted by gruehls[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 04:08 PM [b]
[b]What CUSA team would you most like for the Niners to maintain their rivalry with after the move to the A-10? Cincinnati [ 26 ] [92.86%] Depaul [ 0 ] [0.00%] East Carolina [ 0 ] [0.00%] Louisville [ 1 ] [3.57%] Marquette [ 0 ] [0.00%] Memphis [ 0 ] [0.00%] Somebody else [ 1 ] [3.57%] Total Votes: 28 [/b]

Oh, you like us!

You really, really like us! [/b]

Yes we do! I’d love to keep playing the Bearcats.

[b]Dayton – Cincinnati, DePaul, Saint Louis, Vanderbilt Dusquene – Boston College, Pittsburgh, Santa Clara, West Virginia Fordham – Boston University, Villanova George Washington – Maryland, Michigan State, Wake Forest, West Virginia LaSalle – Cincinnati, Southern California, Villanova Massachusetts – Boston College, Boston University, Connecticut, Florida State, Gonzaga, Miami Rhode Island – Boston University, DePaul, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall Richmond – Alabama Birmingham, Arizona, Colorado, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, South Florida, Virginia, Wake Forest Saint Bonaventure – Syracuse, West Virginia Saint Joseph’s – Kansas, Ohio State Temple – Alabama, Arizona State, Auburn, Duke, Georgetown, Maryland, South Carolina, Villanova, Wake Forest Xavier – Cincinnati, Creighton, Iowa State, Mississippi State, Tennessee [/b]

Look at Richmond’s schedule closely. That’s probably what we can hope for in a best case scenario for a non-conference schedule starting next year. We will have to travel if we are to ever play Zona, Pitt, or the ACC schools and we won’t get a home game in return. We may be forced to such scheduling if the bottom feeders in the A-10 don’t improve. Even St. Joe’s couldn’t get anybody to come play them after the great year they had (I’m not sure if Kansas will make the return trip next year in that deal). C’mon, a Final 8 team can’t get a big-name team to come play them? We need to talk to Xavier about how they got Miss St., Iowa St., and Creighton to come play them at their place, all in one season. :huh: :wacko: :drool:

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 04:02 PM [b] To me, you're a mid-major if you don't regularly make the NCAA tournament, and on the borderline unless you advance to the second round of the NCAA tournament regularly, at least 4 times every 10 years. Consistently in the NCAA field is high major, if you're advancing regularly. [/b]
So are you on record saying that Clemson and Florida State are mid majors?
[i]Originally posted by HP49er+Jan 10 2005, 04:12 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (HP49er @ Jan 10 2005, 04:12 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Powerbait+Jan 10 2005, 02:41 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Powerbait @ Jan 10 2005, 02:41 PM)
[i]Originally posted by Anborn[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 04:24 PM [b] [/QUOTE] Under that definition, NCSU, Clemson, Florida State and Virginia are mid-major teams. [/QUOTE]

This is a great post! :slight_smile: I wonder if it will get a response. [/b]

I overlooked HP’s post or I wouldn’t have been redundant. I even gave State and Virginia a break and only included Clemson and FSU.

Redundant? I think it’s great for the sports editor of a Knight Ridder newspaper to admit that 1/2 of the ACC membership is considered mid-major.

Well, it’s Persinger’s own definition of “mid-major”. You can’t tell me the Observer would ever print a “Mid-Major roundup” and list Va. Tech, Viginia, etc. results. I think “mid-major” is a way overused term.

[i]Originally posted by HP49er+Jan 10 2005, 04:12 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (HP49er @ Jan 10 2005, 04:12 PM)

Of course, even though some of those ACC teams at the bottom don’t make the NCAAs regularly, they also go 10-2 outside the conference and 15-13 overall. There aren’t any easy outs in the ACC for those schools.

Well, I guess I’ll just have to accept the fact that the Observer classifies major vs. mid-major by what individual teams accomplish, not the conference as a whole, which is the criteria used by CollegeInsider.com, ESPN, and the Sporting News. I’m not a happy Niner on this one… :cuss: