What CUSA team would you most like ...

clt thinks gw is an upper mid major with a chance of lower major.

[i]Originally posted by run49er[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 04:59 PM [b] Well, I guess I'll just have to accept the fact that the Observer classifies major vs. mid-major by what individual teams accomplish, not the conference as a whole, which is the criteria used by CollegeInsider.com, ESPN, and the Sporting News. I'm not a happy Niner on this one... :cuss: [/b]
Sorry, Run. Just because you run with a bunch of cool, popular kids doesn't necessarily make you cool and popular.
[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger+Jan 10 2005, 05:02 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (Mike_Persinger @ Jan 10 2005, 05:02 PM)

You’re right, it’s a media creation, designed to create conversation. I’d say we succeeded, at least on this thread. Is GW a mid-major? Who knows? And ultimately, who cares? They’ll either make the tournament or they won’t, do well or not. They have played well this season. And really, this season is all that matters.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 05:55 PM [b] Of course, even though some of those ACC teams at the bottom don't make the NCAAs regularly, they also go 10-2 outside the conference and 15-13 overall. There aren't any easy outs in the ACC for those schools. [/b]
Mike, I see this has turned into an ACC discussion again. Do you think anybody on here truly thinks that the A10 has the same depth as the ACC? The guy simply didn't like the journalist calling the A10 a midmajor. I'm not sure why that would bother you. In my opinion, it would also be in the Observer's best interest if the A10 wasn't considered a Midmajor conference.

Historical leeway? So San Francisco and New York City College are on your list of Majors?

My predicition is we will continue to play UAB. I’m not sure I like it. But I don’t really see any of the other schools doing it. We might could schedule something with Houston or TCU, but I’m not sure if it would benefit us. My hope is for Sincy.

I didn’t bring up the ACC, if you look back. Someone posed the question.

And you know better than to bring that San Francisco stuff in here. 

All I said was major is determined by team, not by league. If you put an A-10 bottom feeder in the ACC this season, it wouldn’t make them a major program. People on this very board have griped about those schools and the quality of their programs and the fact that they’ll be an RPI drag, and you want to argue that they’re major programs? Can’t have it both ways.

[i]Originally posted by SilvioDante[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:22 PM [b] IMO Cincinnati is the only that possibly make any sense as a true rival.

When is the last time that a game vs. any of the other teams meant something to the season?

Sure a win last year in Memphis would have arguably given Charlotte the conference title. But who knew that at the time it happened? If that game was played at the end of the regular season than you would have had the beginnings of a rivalry.

UAB, because of its longevity, would be the NEXT closest version of a rival.

As far as expecting any series to continue/not continue, my guess is maybe Cincinnati. But because of the advance planning (Cinci & Charlotte) in OOC schedules, it wouldn’t surprise me if the series took a year or two off. [/b]

For us down east ECU is a great game, they have a much better chance of improvement over unc-a and the exposure in raleigh is far better because of it… as for other continuing games i see cincy and possably depaul no others… and dont expect to see cincy on the schedule next year, …maybe in 06 or 07.

“Mid-major” is definitely a media-created term. It is a subjective, criteria-less comment that was borne out of the mouths of billy packer/dookie v types whose elitist attitudes cause them to believe that no one else can play good b-ball except those teams whose jocks they smell on a very regular basis. Someone should put some definition to the word, have sports fans vote on it and then we can all know who’s really Mid-major and not be told what it is depending on the commentator and team being mentioned at one point in time.

I would like to see Cincy continue although I doubt that we will play them again outside of a tournament.

Here’s a thought though. The ACC/Big East Challenge is now in the crapper, leaving the Big East out in the cold. After the BCS fiasco, I’m not sure that an ACC/Big East Challenge will be revived anytime soon. In my mind, a Big East/Atlantic 10 Challenge would be a no brainer since they geographically overlap and there are already several interconference rivalries in Cincinnatti/Xavier, Rhode Island/Providence, Temple/Villanova, UMass/UConn.

This season, there are already 14 games between Big East and Atlantic 10 teams. If a TV contract could force annual matchups between Charlotte and teams such as Cincinnatti, Syracuse and UConn, I wouldn’t complain one bit.

[i]Originally posted by KissMyAxe+Jan 10 2005, 04:25 PM-->
[b]QUOTE[/b] (KissMyAxe @ Jan 10 2005, 04:25 PM)
Originally posted by Powerbait@Jan 10 2005, 02:41 PM [b]
[i]Originally posted by MeinShaft[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 08:38 PM [b] I would like to see Cincy continue although I doubt that we will play them again outside of a tournament.

Here’s a thought though. The ACC/Big East Challenge is now in the crapper, leaving the Big East out in the cold. After the BCS fiasco, I’m not sure that an ACC/Big East Challenge will be revived anytime soon. In my mind, a Big East/Atlantic 10 Challenge would be a no brainer since they geographically overlap and there are already several interconference rivalries in Cincinnatti/Xavier, Rhode Island/Providence, Temple/Villanova, UMass/UConn.

This season, there are already 14 games between Big East and Atlantic 10 teams. If a TV contract could force annual matchups between Charlotte and teams such as Cincinnatti, Syracuse and UConn, I wouldn’t complain one bit. [/b]

One problem with this, it’s the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, not Big East.

There was a Big East/ACC challenge years ago, I think Kendall Gill vs. Bobby Hurley and Jr Reid vs. Alonzo Mourning were some of the bigger matchups.

Point being, that challenge has been in the crapper for some time.

Jena’s story: Is Pitino skeered?

[b]Of course, even though some of those ACC teams at the bottom don't make the NCAAs regularly, they also go 10-2 outside the conference and 15-13 overall. There aren't any easy outs in the ACC for those schools. [/b]

Clemson has been notorious for scheduling cupcakes for non-conference opponents. Not just some, but almost all cupcakes. They usually come into conference with 10-something record because they know they are going to get drilled during conference play. Look at the Sagarine Ratings from the last 5 years. They have the weakest SOS Rating of any ACC team each year, and still have losing records to boot. Their hope was to somehow get enough ACC wins to make the NIT or somehow slip into the NCAA Tourney after having accumulated the cupcake icing in non-conference.

This year, Purnell has changed things a bit and they have a pretty decent non-conference resume’. That would have never happened during the Ellis-Barnes-Shyatt era.

[i]Originally posted by Mike_Persinger[/i]@Jan 11 2005, 08:02 AM [b][url=http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/sports/10615149.htm]Jena's story: Is Pitino skeered?[/url][/b]
[b]There is a chance, though, that games against Cincinnati, DePaul or other C-USA rivals could return.

“It would be a minimum of two years from now before they’d be ready to schedule us,” Lutz said of Cincinnati. “But they’re entertaining that possibility. DePaul has expressed some interest. We haven’t received as much interest from any of the others.”

Huggins said he’s interested in playing Charlotte.

“Bobby Lutz and I are very, very dear friends, so I’m sure we’ll talk about that in the future,” Huggins said.[/b]

huggy’s got a full set of hangy-down things.

that “dear friends” business is a bit of a concern though.

Geeze, Calipari’s got a nice schedule next year, if you want a team to get absolutely abused. He’s certainly making up for the conference next year.

[i]Originally posted by Powerbait[/i]@Jan 10 2005, 02:50 PM [b] I don't want to deal with UAB anymore, because quite frankly, they know how to beat us. [/b]
Thats free ammunition for Hickler. :rolleyes:

Reason #6,405,596,565,786 that Calipari is a moron:

[b]"Calipari said Memphis, which stays in C-USA, will face Texas, Purdue, Providence, Mississippi and Tennessee next season, and will play in the Preseason NIT, and doesn't want to overschedule again."[/b]

Let’s go to the video from the 04-05 season:

Providence = L
Texas = L
Mississippi = L
Tipoff Classic & Coaches v. Cancer = 2 L’s

Seems to me he’s recreated the 04-05 season for next year.

If he doesn’t want to overschedule, he should go back to playing the Tennessee Community Colleges.

In Cal’s defense (did I just say that?) he was blasted in recent years for scheduling cupcakes. Looks like he has tried to fix that.

In a watered-down C-USA next season, Cal is going to need these games to help his RPI. He NEEDS to have an OOC schedule this rough.