What if Sanchez is figuring this out?

Correct its his forth year, but most of the players arenā€™t the same even from last year. Once again your problem is you wanted some drastic turnaround from last years disaster to what it was in 2000. That expectation in my eyes was unrealistic even with all the transfers coming in. Going from nine wins to what would have satisfied you?

For me doubling the wins from last year to this year was my goal, does that mean I am happy with the totality, it doesnā€™t. What it means though I can see where the team has improved because they have a realistic shot at doing just that if not more.

We were more talented against ODU across the board, if we played a solid 30 minutes of basketball we woulda won by 15. Instead we played well for 15 minutes and won by a slim margin.

If this was one game, sure Iā€™d take the win on an off night, but we consistently inconsistent. Weā€™ll come out completely flat against some scrub team and get beaten by 15. I can accept a couple WTF losses but at my count weā€™re at 4. I bet that number will be around 8 at years end.

Itā€™s extremely frustrating because this team has talent, for whatever reason we just canā€™t play complete games.

2 Likes

Totally agree and great meeting you last night!

1 Like

What was and has always been my expectations by year four was to see continual progress, see players playing within the system our coach has implemented and excelling at it, and to be inside the top 75 and in the hunt for a CUSA championship. Anything less than that is unacceptable.

If your baseline is against an atrocious last-season performance by our same coach, I donā€™t know what to tell you. Iā€™m more objective than that and my expectations havenā€™t changed. We arenā€™t remotely close to what should be our expectations in year four. Paint over that ugliness with a nice brush because we are winning games against terrible teams if you like. A 20 win season this year could still have us ending up in the 200s in Pomeroy. Thatā€™s not a successful season.

Awesome meeting you! Hope I didnā€™t damage your ear drums with my yelling.

1 Like

Nah it was the Ahole yelling about the foul to give :slight_smile:

1 Like

Soā€¦Ron could have a ā€œdisasterā€ year every 2-3 yrs so he gets a pass if he makes improvements to mediocrity from his own self inflicted disaster the prior year???

WTF!?

The disaster last year in year 3 should never have happened either if heā€™s a decent coachā€¦what did he lose 9 or 10 in a row to close out the yearā€¦against awful intramural teams!?!

So allowing him to reset the bar that low just so rebounding to mediocrity this year looks good is not what I want for a coach or my program. Thatā€™s insanity. To give him credit for improving from a disaster he caused the prior year. Unreal.

Here are the KenPom Ratings of the remainder of the schedule:

We have 1 game vs a Top 100 teamā€¦an 81 at that. Thatā€™s an avg of 183.
11 of our 12 games vs teams at 122 or higher. 6 games vs teams 201 or higher
If heā€™s really figuring it outā€¦we should go at min 10-2ā€¦at minimum!!

With the talent & depth this team hasā€¦that should be cake.
Beat the 6 dregs at 200+ (even though we currently sit at 204ā€¦so embarrassing)ā€¦then 4 of the remaining 6ā€¦3 of which are 141+ā€¦gets you 21-9.
Then yesā€¦heā€™s figured it out.

We finish with 17 or less winsā€¦he is who we thought he is and he needs to go.

1 Like

A teamā€™s end of year ranking when compared against your peers (conference and all D1) donā€™t lie. Weā€™ll see.

I heard that too and wanted to tell back you donā€™t use that foul until the shot clock is off. Which is exactly what they did, although I would have waited another couple seconds on it.

1 Like

Damn, we really do have 12 games left. I thought that had to be wrong.

Thatā€™s a 30 game regular season. More of course with a win or two in the league tourney. I didnā€™t realize we still played that many.

BTW, when I went to check on this I discovered no one has updated our annual records on Wikipedia since the 2019 season.

Before I respond to your assesment, did you watch the game last night? I assume even if you did you were cheering for ODU right?

2 Likes

For those of us not counting last year against Ron I think are still looking for improvement from the 2020 season. The bar doesnā€™t get reset, just means last year isnā€™t counting. Some of the stuff that went down with last years team would have derailed nearly every team. It isnā€™t my place to share it all, but it was bad. Yes losing to the Abbey should never happen, but the wheels were off. As mad as last year makes me, if we make the improvements from 2020 to this year then I am happy.

20 win season is what I need to see solid improvement. I agree 17 or less and a change needs to happen. 18/19 wins and its going to come down how do we do in CUSA tourney. We need to win more than one.

I will add I am not dismissing last year in its totality, but to not look at the full circumstances does a injustice to what was going on. That is why I came into this year hoping to double the win totals. From a program perspective is 19 wins what I deem acceptable, nope, but I also recognize that nine win teams donā€™t typically become 25 win teams the next year too. There are two different conversations here, what is a good this year and what you would want overall. I personally donā€™t think a team goes from 9 wins to 25 and a conference championship in one year and history shows its rare.

What I care about most is that the players care and the coaching staff cares! Ron was mad last night I presume because he saw a few lazy plays from certain players. He wasnā€™t going to tolerate it anymore and it showed. He didnā€™t throw a temper tantrum either he just paced the sideline, went into the time out and proceeded to snap the white board in half on the floor.

Iā€™d like to know what was different about our situation last year? Not every team in the country lost to the Abbey, lost their last 9 games, all while looking like no one wanted to be there.

2 Likes

With 12 games left, against a fairly soft league schedule, Iā€™d put the over under on regular season win total at around 17-18.

That is progress. But is it enough? I think this is where we will get very different and passionate responses from our fans. And thatā€™s okay.

Personally, as a long time sufferer, I recognize thatā€™s probably realistic, but it also isnā€™t much better than a couple season ago, and so it feels like a plateau. What I really want is a team that expects to win 20+ games, especially in this weak conference, and against a reasonable non conference schedule. So, 18 really isnā€™t quite cutting it for me either.

Mike Hill says his standard is competing for conference championships. I donā€™t think 18 wins is quite there either. It will be interesting to see what he does.

You can care a lot and just not be very good at your job. If youā€™re not very good at your job you get fired regardless of how much you care or how hard you try.

And when you use last seasons win total as a measuring stick of how many wins we should have this yearā€¦ You are letting Ron lower his bar because of how bad he was last year.

In year 4 with this roster we should be 20+ wins and top 3 in this weak ass conference and a top 100 NET rating at worst!

Heā€™s got 12 games to show something he hasnā€™t shown yetā€¦ But he does have 12 games so weā€™ll see.

I have been looking at the schedule on espn.com. Did not realize FIU game was rescheduled. Missed that announcement. 17/18 wins should be easily achievable. Getting to 20 is possibly but will be tough.

Youā€™d think. But half of our remaining games are on the road, and I just donā€™t have any faith in our ability to win road games. I expect the inverse of whatever home record we put up the rest of the way, which puts us right at 17-18 wins.

2 Likes

And therein lies my conundrum.

I agree that 17-18 wins is most likely.
I also think thatā€™s good enough for Mike to keep Sanchez

Thats why Iā€™m hoping for more losses. 15-15 or worse makes it easier for Mike to make a change.

17-18 wins in year 4 with this roster in this Conference puts us the 180+ rangeā€¦ Again is extremely mediocre.

If mediocrity is Sanchezā€™ ceilingā€¦thatā€™s not good enough.

I donā€™t think CUSA is abnormally bad this compared to years past. Iā€™m saying without looking up the numbers, but I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this yearā€™s net ranking is higher than any of the last 5 or so?