What if Sanchez is figuring this out?

Yes, the Net will be up, even though the Pomeroy still stinks.

I don’t pretend to follow or care about the Pomeroy ratings - mainly because as I understand it, it carries a bias from the prior season until fairly late in the current one.

Plus the committee doesn’t use them anyway. They use NET, IIRC.

Here is one Pro for Sanchez and one con for him:

The Net Ranking was not around during Lutz’s Tenure. The RPI was. Charlotte current RPI is 102. That is close to the Top 100 most of you all are stating.

If you look at the rest of the schedule. Per Warren Nolan, Charlotte is projected only to have 3 more wins and finish with a 14-16 record. For those that want Sanchez gone, finishing 14-16 might do it.

2022 Charlotte Men’s Basketball Predicted Results Scores & RPI | WarrenNolan.com

1 Like

Wow. Obvious we all love the Niners. We all want to get back the the NCAA tournament. Most of us, certain posters excluded, want this team to succeed this year. We just won a game and the team stayed tough and made it happen. Ron made subs and changes in defense to help make that happen.
Let’s quit with the “we should have won by 15” and such and recognize that a win is a win is a win. Every team in the country has lost games this year. There is not a dominate team in the country.
Let’s see how the year ends up before we declare Ron has figured it out or that he won’t until the end.

3 Likes

FYI, Pomeroy ratings only use current season stats for calculation after January 23, so the current info is based on this season alone.

A lot of those Warren Nolan RPI numbers don’t make much sense. According to that list, Ron is doing better than his mentor at UVA. I know UVA has had it’s struggles, but still. Seems to say we are 102, but expects us to end up 188?

I did take a look at Predicted RPI after posting the above. It does look like 188 is our predicted RPI and that will align with only winning 3 remaining games that Warren Nolan is predicting.

I do find it odd that RPI, NET and Pomeroy are vastly differently.

This is why I have never trusted Pomeroy rankings. Rice is at 181 as well, so the two teams they just beat are rated ahead of Charlotte. Tell me how ODU is rated higher and even Rice (although I can handle that a bit better).

This is like arguing about who is the tallest midget.

I don’t care who is 181 or 204 or 201…we are in that mix regardless of order. The eyeball test pretty much confirms that as well.

And yes…I did watch the 1st half last night and it was hilariously pathetic. That’s all I could take. I know we came back and won after sweating it out at the end. But only a poorly coached team could look that bad against an equally terrible team. 16-0 run against us for ODU in our house…and basically a last second win!?! Inexcusable and awful. And yet…some here are celebrating it as progress. Jesus.

It’s because NET and Pomory include a margin of victory component where as RPI doesn’t. More accurately the margin adjusted by possession of your off and def eff for NET. That’s the only one that really matters now.

Your team has a negative point differential, a pretty substantial 1+ point one and are one of the slowest teams in the nation so that actually makes it bigger by comparison when adjusted to possession. You have the point differential more like a losing team which is why it’s so vastly different. One of the bigger differences I’ve seen.

It apparent your knowledge of basketball is just an arm chair guy because if you had actually paid attention that 16-0 had more to do with missed quality shots on offense than anything to do with coaching. Last I knew Sanchez or another coach can’t go take the shots the offense created in the paint. Guess what they make four of the missed seven in the paint they are up one at the half, but you can’t see that because all you look for is stat lines to talk about.

You sure you weren’t at the game yelling you have a foul to give with a minute left in the game?

4 Likes

Thanks I am glad you realize his wrong just like me!

Did you miss the part where I said I watched the first half? I watched the 16-0 run. A lot of forced shots, one on one shots and very few good looks contributed to that on our end. A good coach would have called timeout and run a play specifically to end the run…or to switch up defenses to rattle them and end the run…or something. Or players on a well coached team know to go strong to the rim to end a run…get fouled, create something inside…something.

But to have a team so disoriented or unfocused or un disciplined or poorly coached enough to the point to allow a YMCA calibre team to go on a 16-0 run is bad enough…but to also not attempt to make any adjustments to stop it is ultimately what Sanchez is.

It’s just striking to me that we simply are never able to “impose our will” on anyone…regardless of how bad the other team is. That is what’s disappointing ultimately.

BTW…who said Beetlejuice!!!

1 Like

Jeff Jones says thanks for calling his team YMCA calibre.
From where I was sitting it looked like that run of missed shots was due to our guys being intimidated by ODU’s size and athleticism inside. I guess we got a bit of fortitude injection at halftime.

1 Like

If they didn’t make any adjustments to stop it how on earth did they come back and win? I mean they did cut a thirteen point lead down to seven at the half and post that 16-0 outscored the by 16 the rest of the game, but hey no adjustments were made and no coaching done so not sure how they managed that.

3 Likes

The RPI formula was tweaked several times so it is not exactly an apples to apples comparison to a decade ago either. Probably closer than comparing NET, but still not the same.

No team that bad should go on a 16-0 run in the first place is the point…unless you have no talent or are poorly coached. We have talent.

Dude…just agree to this…your bar for success is waaaaaaaayyyyyyyyy lower than mine. So you can continue to be happy beating a dreg team by the skin of our teeth.

I expect us to impose our will on that team and beat them by 20+…but we beat no one by 20+ no one. But we’ll lose by 30 to an equally bad FAU team though. But hey…the coach tries hard so that’s ok for you.

Not me.

Go beat a team you’re not supposed to beat. Impose your will on teams we should pound. Quit being happy to just play the game. Play with urgency like it means something to have Charlotte across your chest. Have a purpose when we hit the floor to dominate and out play and out hustle and out execute.

Or…be humble and grateful to just be there. Whatever.

I thought 2005 was the last time the RPI formula changed. Was there a more recent change?

To me, the Niners did not play well during that 10-minute stretch they did not score. I am sure there were some good shots missed, but I do remember being frustrated on multiple occasions with the offense. In addition to what @TRLeader stated about forced shots and one on one shots, there was a lack of movement.

I do not always consider an open shot, a good shot. Luka and Perry had a few shots that technically were not bad shots. From an ODU perspective, I am all for that. However, I would rather a play where Jahmir, Clyde, Austin, Jackson or Robert got a good shot near the basket.

I am happy the Niners were able to overcome the poor play during that stretch and win the game!

Doesn’t really matter anymore since RPI was replaced by the NET.