What the Hell???

[QUOTE=49or bust;213838]I agree 100% with this as well. How in the world did a yes-man like UNC-DP become our chancellor?? It really makes me think there is some kind of conspiracy behind all this. Like the system made sure someone like him got appointed to keep us quiet.[/QUOTE]

The reason he got appointed is because UNC Board of Governors wanted someone they could control. Dr. Phil is their man. You think a man with a fReaking PHD could think for himself, I guess not.

The article is a bit of a tongue in cheek challange to students to be more active in their schools activitites. I canā€™t disagree with that.

Remember in the movie ā€˜We are Marshallā€™ when the college dean had been unsuccessful with his letter writting to the NCAA for an exception to allow freshman to play, the Coach asked the dean if he had proposed to his wife by letter. The Dean then went and camped out at the NCAA till he got the exception. Thatā€™s what Bonnie Cone and the other founders of Charlotte did-> They were not afraid to politely, but firmly, get in the face of state leaders to get what they needed for the school. They knew how to close a deal.

Being 14th in funding while being 3rd in size doesnā€™t seem right. Maybe we should spend a half million or so to hire someone to come in and study why. Maybe they could find out why a school thats at the bottom in funding has to be the biggest in the system.
As far as the value of a Charlotte degree is concerned, grads should explain to employers that Charlotte is outstanding because it turns out more graduates with less money than any other school around. If they canā€™t understand that, let them hire someone from a little school like Davidson.

The reason he got appointed is because UNC Board of Governors wanted someone they could control. Dr. Phil is their man. You think a man with a fReaking PHD could think for himself, I guess not.

the board of governors doesnā€™t hire chancellors, the local campuses do.

also, how in the world do you know what is going on behind closed doors? the chancellor canā€™t and shouldnā€™t be out blasting the legislature because weā€™ll never get another dime, but in raleigh, at the leg, w/ the board of govs and with the charlotte delegation, the chancellor has been out in force working to get us the funding we deserve.

I am not so sure the Chancellor is as bad as you thinkā€¦

good article. the first part was a little harsh but i donā€™t think he intended it that way, i think he was meaning it doesnt say as much to say ā€œIā€™m a 49erā€ because of the lack of school spirit.

The worst part for me is that the diehard fans that are around here (yeah, including me) havenā€™t really formed up to create an alliance to STOP the IDIOTS walking around wearing crap from other schools that they didnā€™t get into or that their parents went into or that they like one team from that school because they donā€™t lose a lot. ITS RIDICULOUS.

Regardless of who wears what at basketball games, our STUDENTS should not EVER be seen wearing that stuff at an athletic event or around campus. If you donā€™t have enough money to buy Charlotte stuff or to have a weekā€™s worth of other clothes, you shouldnā€™t be in college. If youā€™re damned stupid enough to wear stuff from the school you didnā€™t get into, you shouldnā€™t be in college.

I should further admit that including my three roommates, my girlfriend and I, Charlotte was all of our first choice. I got into Wake, UNCG, and Charlotte. My girlfriend got into App, UNCG, UNC-CH, and Charlotte, and Iā€™m not too sure about my roommates, they might have only applied to Charlotte.

One of my roommates grew up a Wake fan for his entire life. Football games when they were horrible, Wake bball games no matter how good they were they always had season tickets, his dad just went to Cameron to watch Wake get it handed to them, so on, so forth. I LIVE with the guyā€¦I have NEVER seen him wear anything WF. Thatā€™s how it should be.

So I propose that we create a UNITED FRONT that promotes ASS KICKERY of those dumbasses.

There is a student, or a few students, that wear Chapel Hill stuff to Charlotte bball games sometime, and although us around here do heckle them, sometimes itā€™s not to the point of success. If at least not around campus, we HAVE to make sure students KNOW not to pull that at a game.

the board of governors doesn't hire chancellors, the local campuses do.

http://www.northcarolina.edu/content.php/pres/news/releases/pr2005/20050318a.htm

CHAPEL HILL, NC ā€“ [URL=http://www.northcarolina.edu/docs/images/pres/news/pr2005/Dubois.jpg][B][U][COLOR=#346565]Philip L. Dubois [/COLOR][/U][/B][/URL](doo BWAH), president of the University of Wyoming since 1997, has been elected chancellor of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte [B]by the Board of Governors of the 16-campus University of North Carolina[/B]. UNC President Molly Corbett Broad placed Duboisā€™ name in nomination today (March 18) during the Boardā€™s regular March meeting. Dubois, 54, will assume his new duties July 15, succeeding James H. Woodward, who is retiring after 16 years in the post. Woodward now has the longest tenure of any sitting UNC chancellor.

In recommending Dubois to the Board of Governors, Broad said: "Phil Dubois has accumulated a wealth of high-level administrative experience at public, urban universities, and at each step along the way he has exhibited great imagination, strategic vision, and energetic leadership.

http://www.northcarolina.edu/content.php/pres/news/releases/pr2005/20050318b.htm

"You'll find that I am an extremely loyal member of the University of North Carolina. It is one of the great public university systems in this country. But while I wish the Tar Heels and the Wolfpack all the best over the next few weeks, I just have to say: Go Niners!" ~UNC-DP

[QUOTE=sf49er;213874]I am not so sure the Chancellor is as bad as you thinkā€¦[/QUOTE]

Iā€™ve figured it outā€¦youā€™re actually the Chancellor. :wow: :cool:

I like that. not sure I had heard that before. Now, letā€™s stop whining about being in 13th and go somewhere now! Increased enrollment is one way. Press, Iā€™m not saying he isnā€™t doing anything, Iā€™m just saying that the whining is a lot more common and louder than the oration of planning.

ā€œYouā€™ll find that I am an extremely loyal member of the [B]University of North Carolina[/B]. It is one of the great public university systems in this country. But while I wish the Tar Heels and the Wolfpack all the best over the next few weeks, I just [B]have[/B] to say: Go Niners!ā€ ~UNC-DP
:eek:
Subliminal Messages? Conspiracy Theory?

[QUOTE=ninerball49;213875]good article. the first part was a little harsh but i donā€™t think he intended it that way, i think he was meaning it doesnt say as much to say ā€œIā€™m a 49erā€ because of the lack of school spirit.

The worst part for me is that the diehard fans that are around here (yeah, including me) havenā€™t really formed up to create an alliance to STOP the IDIOTS walking around wearing crap from other schools that they didnā€™t get into or that their parents went into or that they like one team from that school because they donā€™t lose a lot. ITS RIDICULOUS.

Regardless of who wears what at basketball games, our STUDENTS should not EVER be seen wearing that stuff at an athletic event or around campus. If you donā€™t have enough money to buy Charlotte stuff or to have a weekā€™s worth of other clothes, you shouldnā€™t be in college. If youā€™re damned stupid enough to wear stuff from the school you didnā€™t get into, you shouldnā€™t be in college.

I should further admit that including my three roommates, my girlfriend and I, Charlotte was all of our first choice. I got into Wake, UNCG, and Charlotte. My girlfriend got into App, UNCG, UNC-CH, and Charlotte, and Iā€™m not too sure about my roommates, they might have only applied to Charlotte.

One of my roommates grew up a Wake fan for his entire life. Football games when they were horrible, Wake bball games no matter how good they were they always had season tickets, his dad just went to Cameron to watch Wake get it handed to them, so on, so forth. I LIVE with the guyā€¦I have NEVER seen him wear anything WF. Thatā€™s how it should be.

[/QUOTE]

Until we have football on campus I can not fault any student for continuing to wear another schoolā€™s colors. I would not do it and I wish they wouldnā€™t, but if you grew up a clemson football fan why should you stop wearing clemson colors? Aslong as we donā€™t have football we are contributing to the problem. We give them an excuse to continue to follow another schools athletics.

As for funding we need to start a letter campaign at the least and build into a rallyā€¦ uptown, Raleighā€¦ somewhere where the news will cover it. Publicity speaks volumes and if the politicians feel like votes are on the line they might listen.

[QUOTE=sf49er;213874]I am not so sure the Chancellor is as bad as you thinkā€¦[/QUOTE]

Iā€™m tired of these cryptic messagesā€¦whats the scoop man?

Actually not a terrible article at all. He makes many compelling and true points about the school. Moving away from the suitcase college label is going to take time and thereā€™s no reason to think that will change over night. What will change that? Years and years of strong campus support for basketball (the basketball team needs to win as well) and hopefully one day football. Active alumni in the area and state. Our academics are making strides every year.

As far as students wearing other schools colors and what not. I wouldnā€™t blame that entirely on lack of football but on lack of tradition established here by our athletics. Football will help that but so will competitive and a strong basketball team. I will admit I support Wake Forest football since I grew up in Winston-Salem, and we have no football team. However, if we had football my allegience would change, just as it has in basketball. When we play ACC schools (like it or not itā€™s huge in North Carolina) we have to not only be competitive but we need to win. This is another thing that isnā€™t going to happen over night. Had we had football, we could have possibly jumped to the Big East or ACC.

i will do whatever it takes to increase pride in our university.

but I would say to this guy what some others have said, if you want to make a difference, you have to do it not just say it.

there are people that were making an effort when I was a student and it made a difference.

but those students just built off of what was there before us. and thatā€™s what people who genuinly care need to do.

whenever you guys march on raliegh, let me know. Iā€™m here and willing to stay as long as it takes. I hate my job anyway.

I've figured it out...you're actually the Chancellor. :wow: :cool:

Heā€™s Yoda. Enlighten you he willā€¦

The worst part for me is that the diehard fans that are around here (yeah, including me) haven't really formed up to create an alliance to STOP the IDIOTS walking around wearing crap from other schools that they didn't get into or that their parents went into or that they like one team from that school because they don't lose a lot. ITS RIDICULOUS.
I agree. It is ridiculous. So lets start that alliance [U]right now[/U]. I've been talking about this and wanting to do this for so long and I don't think we should wait any longer. We alreay know that we've got people on here and people from CFI to work with so we already know we have a strong base. We just need to move on it. I want to start a thread, I just need a name. How about "The Charlotte Alliance"?
[URL=http://www.northcarolina.edu/content.php/pres/news/releases/pr2005/20050318a.htm]http://www.northcarolina.edu/content.php/pres/news/releases/pr2005/20050318a.htm[/URL]

http://www.northcarolina.edu/content.php/pres/news/releases/pr2005/20050318b.htm

the search committee and the selection team are all chosen by the hiring university and the current chancellor of the university also has a say. the individual institutions make their decision and then send one name to the board of governors for their final approval.

and as for the second quote, he was talking about the university of north carolina systemā€¦not chapel hill. unc is not unc-ch.

unc is not unc-ch.
Well, millions of signs, posters, shirts, ads, and other places where things are written along with thousands if not millions of people would beg to differ.
Well, millions of signs, posters, shirts, ads, and other places where things are written along with thousands if not millions of people would beg to differ.

they can beg to differ all day, but the university of north carolina is technically the entire university system encompasing all 16 campuses and that is what dubois was refering to.

the search committee and the selection team are all chosen by the hiring university and the current chancellor of the university also has a say. the individual institutions make their decision and then send one name to the board of governors for their final approval.

and as for the second quote, he was talking about the university of north carolina systemā€¦not chapel hill. unc is not unc-ch.

Yes, of course I realized he was talking about the system. Thatā€™s ALL he ever wants to talk about.

The Chancellor appears to have a deeper commitment to serving the system rather than serving this campus, in my opinion.