When do we expand to 40k?

With 2015 being our first year in CUSA, when will our stadium expansion begin?

I imagine we cannot start construction on the next phase until the original stadium that is being built now is paid for. Anyone know the details on how long we will be paying back the ‘loan?’

Another question: does the CUSA deal mean that we can/will get lights sooner? I know that the lights were supposedly tied into the expansion, but we may need them for CUSA TV games sooner than that happens.

I hope they they can both happen fairly quick now that we are going to be FBS soon.

[quote=“X-49er, post:3, topic:26771”]Another question: does the CUSA deal mean that we can/will get lights sooner? I know that the lights were supposedly tied into the expansion, but we may need them for CUSA TV games sooner than that happens.

I hope they they can both happen fairly quick now that we are going to be FBS soon.[/quote]I took from some of recent comments by Judy that we will be getting lights soon. Seemed like, if not by opening then by 2015.

[quote=“X-49er, post:3, topic:26771”]Another question: does the CUSA deal mean that we can/will get lights sooner? I know that the lights were supposedly tied into the expansion, but we may need them for CUSA TV games sooner than that happens.

I hope they they can both happen fairly quick now that we are going to be FBS soon.[/quote]

I think I read somewhere that the CUSA television contract requires lights.

[quote=“VA49er, post:5, topic:26771”][quote=“X-49er, post:3, topic:26771”]Another question: does the CUSA deal mean that we can/will get lights sooner? I know that the lights were supposedly tied into the expansion, but we may need them for CUSA TV games sooner than that happens.

I hope they they can both happen fairly quick now that we are going to be FBS soon.[/quote]

I think I read somewhere that the CUSA television contract requires lights.[/quote]It does. We have to get lights before we start a CUSA schedule.

https://www.northcarolina.edu/bog/doc.php?code=bog&id=21512

This has been our REAL plan all along.

Is that in 2014, seatbacksnow?

That’s the 2014-15 budget year, which means construction would start in 2016 at the earliest. I have to imagine that if they do decide to expand soon, that it would be best to do so with Rodgers Builders and their equipment already in place. I’d assume they’d go with concrete support pillars and alumnium/steel bleachers, which wouldn’t require custom fabrication. The difficult part would be the press box tower, which could be skipped all togther considering we’re already building radio/print/TV facilities in the south side suite box. It would be a lot easier to add a matching suite box on bowl level on the north side that was only suites.

That’s the 2014-15 budget year, which means construction would start in 2016 at the earliest. I have to imagine that if they do decide to expand soon, that it would be best to do so with Rodgers Builders and their equipment already in place.[/quote]
Starting expansion construction in 2016 would time rather well with the construction of the Light rail. Both would be done about the same time, give or take a year.

I wouldn’t think that the State would loan us another $60 mill if we haven’t paid off our $45 mill that we are borrowing to build the stadium.

Just looking at some numbers. The student fee for stadium construction was started for the 09-10 school year at $120, and increases $60 each year until 2012 when it reaches $300. By the time we kick off, we would have raised over $20 mill in student fees. I am guessing that with naming rights and FSL sales we could around $15 - 20 mill. That should get us pretty close to having the initial stadium paid off before we ask again in 2014.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:11, topic:26771”]I wouldn’t think that the State would loan us another $60 mill if we haven’t paid off our $45 mill that we are borrowing to build the stadium.

Just looking at some numbers. The student fee for stadium construction was started for the 09-10 school year at $120, and increases $60 each year until 2012 when it reaches $300. By the time we kick off, we would have raised over $20 mill in student fees. I am guessing that with naming rights and FSL sales we could around $15 - 20 mill. That should get us pretty close to having the initial stadium paid off before we ask again in 2014.[/quote]
The State of North Carolina does not loan us the money. They only approve the bond issue. I don’t know the bond payoff schedule, but I doubt it is as soon as you you mentioned above. However, future debt obligations will depend on several things such as TV revenue, additional FSL’s (and donations), additional projected gate receipts, etc.

Hard to say. But I can’t imagine we jump from 15,000 to 40,000 real quickly. Dowdy-Ficklen is at 50,000 for comparison. I would think we’d have to show gradual support from say to 25,000 first, then get to 40,000. Maybe only the upper level on one side would make it around 25,000.

I like that idea.
I’d rather have a small stadium thats packed to the brim then a big stadium with a scattering of fans.

The biggest thing in my mind will be the cost of financing. If we are still at the level of financing we are at now then you almost have to figure out a way to go ahead and get it done. If someone has the time to look up and run the numbers at what we are financing at now and then run the numbers at a 40% increase in these costs and calculate the savings compared to the total cost of the expansion. Timing might never be better to lock that financing cost in.

I wouldn’t mind 5,000 increments every few years, depending on how the fan support is.

[quote=“Normmm, post:13, topic:26771”]Hard to say. But I can’t imagine we jump from 15,000 to 40,000 real quickly. Dowdy-Ficklen is at 50,000 for comparison. I would think we’d have to show gradual support from say to 25,000 first, then get to 40,000. Maybe only the upper level on one side would make it around 25,000.
[/quote]

One side upper level as drawn should bring capacity to ~27,500-28,000.

[quote=“919R, post:17, topic:26771”][quote=“Normmm, post:13, topic:26771”]Hard to say. But I can’t imagine we jump from 15,000 to 40,000 real quickly. Dowdy-Ficklen is at 50,000 for comparison. I would think we’d have to show gradual support from say to 25,000 first, then get to 40,000. Maybe only the upper level on one side would make it around 25,000.
[/quote]

One side upper level as drawn should bring capacity to ~27,500-28,000.[/quote]

So how about:

Temp seating on visitors side, pushes capacity to 20k
Upper deck on home side pushes capacity to 30k
Removal of temp seating on visitors side and construction of upper level pushes capacity to 40k

Not saying it’ll ever be needed, but can we go larger than 40k?

IIRC, the site can support 60k, but we would have to do teardown/rebuild of the 40k stadium to do so.