Why does every Charlotte 49er sport strive for the participation trophy

For a school of our size, it baffles me how we can be so bad at literally every sport we participate in. It is embarrassing that our highlights over the last few years is making the tourney in soccer and placing in golf. This comes from a 25K+ student school in a major metropolitan area with all major sports.

Will it ever change or is mediocrity going to be our status quo. I live in the Triangle and I really want to have something to brag out. I can’t use the rebuilding excuse forever.

We’re a D-1 athletic department with a D-3 attitude.

[quote=“NinerintheheartofACC, post:1, topic:30290”]For a school of our size, it baffles me how we can be so bad at literally every sport we participate in. It is embarrassing that our highlights over the last few years is making the tourney in soccer and placing in golf. This comes from a 25K+ student school in a major metropolitan area with all major sports.

Will it ever change or is mediocrity going to be our status quo. I live in the Triangle and I really want to have something to brag out. I can’t use the rebuilding excuse forever.[/quote]

You forgot to mention our WNIT banners. Actually, soccer and golf have often been more than a casual appearance, but I agree with you.

I actually had someone tell me several weeks ago that they think it’s honorable how I support my alma mater and believe they’ll someday be relevant. Talk about a punch in the gut…

Where did this person go to school?

Where did this person go to school?[/quote]
UGA

My Facebook feed is filled with Appy and Ecu alums bummed about Chapel Hill losing. Of course my people who did not attend college are irate about it.

Where did this person go to school?[/quote]
UGA[/quote]

Must be some pent up aggression since they are 4th or 5th fiddle in the SEC.

Plenty of “Niners” on social media showing their true colors last night.

im more optimistic than most. no doubt, we are not in a good place right now, athletically, or in terms of school spirit but i think we are on the right track…no thanks to judy. price is going to build something special here and football in bringing in some legit talent.

clt says we run a clean program that actually graduates athletes with relevant degrees.

I used to get super pissed when anyone who went to Charlotte pulled for the Tar Heels. Now, I don’t really care, and yeah, go ahead and pile on me. We ****ing suck in basketball and football. If you are close to dead last in something for nearly a decade it is only natural to pick up another team. When the Bobcats were atrocious I really started following the Spurs. I was still there for our (Bobcat’s) first round sweep by the Magic, but I was also following the Spurs. No, I don’t follow any ACC teams like that, but hey, whatever.

The fault lies with the AD. We must win.

Also, all hail 49er soccer. We have to be good at least something.

Pathetic post Ben H. We have NOT been “close to dead last” in anything for a decade, but even if so------what you describe is the definition of a “fair weather fan”.

[quote=“Ben H, post:12, topic:30290”]I used to get super pissed when anyone who went to Charlotte pulled for the Tar Heels. Now, I don’t really care, and yeah, go ahead and pile on me. We ****ing suck in basketball and football. If you are close to dead last in something for nearly a decade it is only natural to pick up another team. When the Bobcats were atrocious I really started following the Spurs. I was still there for our (Bobcat’s) first round sweep by the Magic, but I was also following the Spurs. No, I don’t follow any ACC teams like that, but hey, whatever.

The fault lies with the AD. We must win.

Also, all hail 49er soccer. We have to be good at least something.[/quote] You better be trolling.

Once football started many of you pretty much checked out on basketball.

I’ve heard various reasons, from we suck at basketball, to primarily being a football fan. And this is coming from people on this board.

I don’t really want to hear anything about “fair weather fans,” when our own NN fanatics don’t show up.

With that being said, I’ll go ahead and answer your question anyway. People who don’t pay attention at all, and then all of a sudden become hardcore fans when your team has a deep tournament run or reaches a conference title or further, those are fairweather fans.

But, we aren’t near that level. If we we went to a bowl game and people didn’t notice or care then I would be right there with you. If we were even in discussion for the NIT I would be right there with you. But fact is, we’re not. I don’t really expect people to go out of their way to support the Niners when we were listed as the worst FBS team, or when our RPI is 200+ in the 22nd best conference in the nation. I will, but I don’t expect most people to.

If we were even at App’s level in football or Davidson’s in basketball or even St Bonaventure/whatever - and I believe we will eventually overtake them - and people were following another team more I would be with you. But fact is, we aren’t. It feels like a lot of misdirected anger. Point that towards the AD or someone else (donors?) who can make a difference. Winning is what matters.

I don’t care for Chapel Hill at all, but when you are 200 RPI and you get more angry about what they and their fans do than what we have going on it just seems like petty ****.

clt is a Villanova and bama fan.

you really need to wake up. Our program is awful. I joked in another thread, other CUSA schools probably say we should be kicked out.

basketball
2015 was 13/16
2012 was 11/14
2011 was 14/14
2009 was 12/14

football
2015 was 13/13

baseball
2016 is 9/12
2015 was 10/12
2014 was 11/12

Over the last 8 seasons for football, Basketball and baseball we average 7.7th out of 13.8. The only reason it’s even that high is due to 3 1st place baseball finishes in the a10 which was horrible at baseball.

Since joining CUSA for football, basketball and baseball we average 10.3 place out of 13.9.

[quote=“Ben H, post:15, topic:30290”]Once football started many of you pretty much checked out on basketball.

I’ve heard various reasons, from we suck at basketball, to primarily being a football fan. And this is coming from people on this board.

I don’t really want to hear anything about “fair weather fans,” when our own NN fanatics don’t show up.

With that being said, I’ll go ahead and answer your question anyway. People who don’t pay attention at all, and then all of a sudden become hardcore fans when your team has a deep tournament run or reaches a conference title or further, those are fairweather fans.

But, we aren’t near that level. If we we went to a bowl game and people didn’t notice or care then I would be right there with you. If we were even in discussion for the NIT I would be right there with you. But fact is, we’re not. I don’t really expect people to go out of their way to support the Niners when we were listed as the worst FBS team, or when our RPI is 200+ in the 22nd best conference in the nation. I will, but I don’t expect most people to.

If we were even at App’s level in football or Davidson’s in basketball or even St Bonaventure/whatever - and I believe we will eventually overtake them - and people were following another team more I would be with you. But fact is, we aren’t. It feels like a lot of misdirected anger. Point that towards the AD or someone else (donors?) who can make a difference. Winning is what matters.

I don’t care for Chapel Hill at all, but when you are 200 RPI and you get more angry about what they and their fans do than what we have going on it just seems like petty ****.[/quote]

I pretty much agree with all of this.

Can’t remember the last time we’ve been in the discussion of winning something in the big three (MBB, FB, BaseBall).

As a young university, where a lot of students are first time Niners, can you really blame them pulling for Chapel Hill when they play in the natty. Its obvious the athletics department doesn’t care, why should they?

Granted, I can’t operate like that, but its understandable how people could.

[quote=“Ben H, post:15, topic:30290”]Once football started many of you pretty much checked out on basketball.

I don’t care for Chapel Hill at all, but when you are 200 RPI and you get more angry about what they and their fans do than what we have going on it just seems like petty ****.[/quote]
I repeat. Pathetic. Completely pathetic. You just don’t get it.