Will Healy Fired

Donald Duck Money GIF

2 Likes

Will seemed to take the firing personally. His comments on the radio clearly showed he felt wronged. I know some folks who were friends of Willā€™s and they said he was pretty upset. So while he might be getting paid I am sure he is watching all of this unfold like someone would when an ex goes and gets married.

1 Like

Well, maybe he should have treated his ex better.

Will was a gamble, and we lost. Biff is also a gamble, but by the looks of it, he has succeeded at everything he has ever done. Some people just donā€™t know how to fail. I feel much better about the Biff hire than I did about the Healy hire. Both were WTF hires the days the news broke.

6 Likes

Agreed. Forcing players to show positive body language and filming them during practice to critique seems less important than creating a positive environment where players are genuinely excited and show it naturally.

Transactional versus Transformative.

Best of luck to Healy. But this 2023 class is a historical and this fan base is excited in a way we havenā€™t seen since 2013. I could frankly care less what Healy feels or thinks. He was a rough draft of a head coach who set the program backwards.

I liked Will but he basically fired himself by putting a sorry ass product out on the field. You donā€™t get torched by a bad team like FIU on homecoming. The team wasnā€™t prepared and some of the better players (ex. Camp) didnā€™t see playing time which is a poor reflection on Healy and his staff.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve known many people in my life that have been let go from pretty good positions of employment. Iā€™ve only known one that admitted he had it coming.

Of course Healy thought he was wronged, itā€™s human nature

2 Likes

He also thought he would win the last 4 games.

2 Likes

Made out like a bandit!

1 Like

I mean on one side dont you always want a coach that thinks he an win? On the other side gotta have a coach that understands you have to do some hard work to win too - it aint all feel good stuff.

If Healy was as good as he thought he was, he would already be on a staff somewhere. He is a good person, I have no doubt, but really lacked football coaching skills to be somewhere above high school level.

1 Like

He got us to our first bowl game and win over a P5 team, so he wasnā€™t all bad. It was just time to move on.

5 Likes

Wouldnā€™t Brad Lambert have a lot to do with that?

4 Likes

Yeah, they both did

2 Likes

Whatever happened to W Keith Friedman anyway? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

This. He was never going to say he thought the firing was justified.

I think it shows a certain level of awareness. Not that either Bobby or Lambert wanted to be fired but they both understood the situation. Will I think really did think they were on the edge of turning it around. All the positive thinking might not be a schtick - it might be who he really is.

Will struggled once Atkins left and Lambertā€™s better players left or graduated.

2 Likes

Exactly. Thatā€™s not building a football program. It was more like he inherited grandpaā€™s car and house and crashed said car into said house

Leadership is brutal honesty. For example, here is a reported Chuck Noll quote in his first meeting with his new Steelers team

ā€œLook, Iā€™ve been watching the game films since I took the job. And I can tell you guys that the reason youā€™ve been losing is not because of your attitude, or your psyche, or any of that stuff.

The problem is youā€™re just not good enough. You know, you canā€™t run fast enough, you canā€™t jump high enough, youā€™re not quick enough. Youā€™re techniques are just abysmal. Iā€™m probably going to have to get rid of most of youā€¦and weā€™re going to move on.ā€

2 Likes

Will was probably the perfect coach for Bradā€™s players. They needed some fun and excitement. We all probably take college sports a bit too serious - especially at our level. They are kids and the game should still be fun. Bradā€™s staff outside of Phil was poor at recruiting but they did a solid job of developing guys. Will sucked at really developing players and outside of Atkins (who we tried desperately to get to comeback) his staff couldnt get it done, but Will brought the one thing the roster was missing some fun and positivity. The reality is though to succeed you have to have both. You have to be able to excite people - players and fans, you have to be able to develop kids, you have to let them have fun and keep them positive, you have to hold kids accountable, and you have to really understand the game. So far it looks like Biff is doing all those, but itā€™s early.