Will Healy Fired

Thanks for sharing. I believe all of it.

1 Like

This is a business, a result oriented business, and if Healy was 7-1 instead of 1-7, he would be entertaining P5 offers and for the right one he would leave us high and dry, leaving all of the players that he recruited just like he did at Austin Peay, it is not personal, these are business decisions, and they are greatly compensated for their duties, they understand going into this occupation the rewards and consequences, if Healy was successful here he would be leaving us for a better situation

9 Likes

Thank you

1 Like

I agree, this happens at all programs. Football has a 4 or 5 deep depth chart. Some guys donā€™t play and others donā€™t even make the team. I understand coaches have to sell an opportunity to play or they will not have a team. I also understand a parents hurt when their childā€™s one chance at college or high school ball and the coach seems to pass on their talent. No one is wrong, lifeā€™s tough!

2 Likes

Absolutely! Well said.

I wanted Healy to succeed but he didnā€™t. Time to move on. He will land on his feet somewhere else and I hope he is successful. Forward and Go Niners!

2 Likes

FWIWā€¦official release at 1pm.

Football has brought me closer to Charlotte than when I was a student sadly. I went to few basketball games when I was at school, and I regret it immensely. And MSOC really opened my heart up in 2011 right after I had graduated. Had I been in school then, I probably wouldā€™ve been at that game.

But footballā€¦was something else.

I live in NYC now, so getting down to games is hard. But I have my tickets from the first game in a special place in my apartment. I have my jersey (old logo). Football became something I followed more and more. I watched the bowl game on Delta wifi while flying home to North Carolina. Any chance I could, I was watching, following, reading this forum, following articles. It was important.

I say all of this because I care about this university. I know how great it is, and how hard it tries, and yet leaders continue to just stonewall that progress. And football has been no different. Healy seemed like a hire that was accepted because we had to save face. He did some great things, and a bowl game is nothing to sneeze about considering how young we are. But, man, we havenā€™t had a winning season since. All the energy was deflated. No offense to Reynolds, but I got tired of depending on him to carry us. It was clear that we had talentā€¦why else would we have four NFL players (and even more trying to break through)? But, it just seemed like we were coasting. Healy was coasting. I honestly thought after the bowl game he thought he was going to move up, and it didnā€™t happen, and he just coasted.

One of the posts above references the assistant coaches and coordinators who moved up. Something they saw in Healy faded, changed their perception, and they left. That speaks volumes.

This speaks volumes. And Hill, for all the hope I give him, he has to get this right. I am not asking for a coach to come in and produce 8+ wins in his first season. I am asking for a coach to not look at losing games as signs of progress. We were fucking blown out, on our home turf, homecoming. 14 pointsā€¦mercy pointsā€¦were ours. Itā€™s embarrassing. That embarrassment is what motivated the firing.

A week ago, reading the article where Healy said he saw progress in our losses, I knew he was going to be kept. I hate that shit. Stop saying losing has signs of progress if that progress just keeps losing. But when I watched this gameā€¦saw what was happeningā€¦I knew, this was something our leaders donā€™t like to seeā€¦embarrassment. Had the loss been closer, Healy wouldā€™ve stayed.

So this is up to Hill, Gaber, and others. Fuck playing it safe. Fuck stonewalling us to save face for others (a la Tar Holes). This is the moment you have to take a chance and go down swinging.

Sorry for the long post.

10 Likes

After the disappointment of the William and Mary a bit of sadness hit me because I knew it was the end for Will Healy at Charlotte. He was young, energetic, likable and aspirational which are characteristics that embody our university. Most of the Charlotte coaches and administrators over the years have been terrible with the media and Healy was a breath of fresh air being great with the media.

At the of the day he fired myself though. You canā€™t put arguably the worst team in FBS out on the field and expect to hang around a long time. Building a staff not based on the best candidates but on personal connections was his undoing. I think Will had the vision that he could revolutionize coaching by doing all these outside of the box antics and many of them just didnā€™t work. I wish him the best and hope he learns some life lessons and matures through this experience.

2 Likes

At the end of it all, Healy just isnā€™t an Xā€™s and Oā€™s Coach (and he admits it constantly). A coach that has to depend of his assistants to be top notch and hope they never leave is not a recipe for success. I agree that his charisma helped us slightly, but at the end of the day, I havenā€™t really seen the community adopt us any more than before (I will confess that I live in Raleigh, but just my opinion). I also havenā€™t seen the crowds drastically increase (except for the students and that isnā€™t something he gets to take credit for) during his tenure.

I want the next coach and assistants to be able to know the game inside and out. I want them to be hard on the players when they screw up and be a foundation for them as they progress. I donā€™t really care if he is a media magnet as long as he brings Wā€™s. The formula has always been: win like hell and the rest will follow.

Healy was always a bad hire imo. 1 good season in 3 years. Yes it was Austin peay, but he had no record of sustained success. IMO Rossomando is more qualified for the job than Healy ever was (though unless he absolutely just dominates till the end of the season we should definitely be looking for someone else). Healyā€™s age was also a huge red flag for me given his lack of prior success. Itā€™s just sad that we only got one good season out of Reynolds because heā€™s a legit college QB

Not trying to be mean but this song pop into my head after reading this tweet.

This next hire is everything. Weā€™ve whiffed twice and have a sub 30% winning percentage since we became a FBS program. Thereā€™s a point where the failures make attracting a good cantidate more difficult.

Hill has to get this one right. Itā€™s going to be a tougher rebuild too than last time. Healy inherited a 5-7 team, the new coach will inherit the worst team in CUSA as it moves into the AAC.

Iā€™m normally optimistic but am concerned about the future if we miss again.

2 Likes

I try to give benefit of the doubt until I see it on the field or court because at the end of the you never really. Healy was a bit of a wild card but Sanchez looked like a slam dunk so who the hell really knows.

That said I hope we can get a proven guy this time.

1 Like

Honestly I think the route might be lance leipold type coach. Elevate him from a massively successful D2/3 school. Someone who has built a successful program.

1 Like

As a rising AAC program if we canā€™t land a coach with a record of having won at the G5 level at some point then we have some other major issues.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s going to be a big ask for us because we do have problems

If we canā€™t get Meyer then Rhule is the best option if we can get him. That would be a no brainer slam dunk.