Will Healy New Coach

You heard it here first officially!

WHAT THEY ARE SAYING:

Dabo Swinney, Clemson head football coach:
“What a home run hire. This guy is as sharp as they come. He’s about all the right things. He’s going to be awesome. Those players will love him, and I really believe that he will build something special there in Charlotte. He’s one of the bright young coaches in the business, but more importantly, he’s a great person with a great family. Charlotte knocked it out of the park.”

David Cutcliffe, Duke head football coach:
“Will Healy is a great fit for Charlotte! First of all he’s a young man of integrity and character so the players will benefit from his influence in their lives. Will is a great teacher of quarterbacks and an innovative offensive coach that will bring an exciting brand of football to Charlotte. Great hire!”

Kirby Smart, Georgia head football coach:
“I have a lot of respect for coach Healy and the job he’s done. He’s done a tremendous job everywhere he’s been, especially offensively. He’s got a lot of energy and has shown impressive leadership at a young age to go out and do what he’s done. Will has also done a really good job recruiting, coming into the state of Georgia, too.”

Kirk Herbstreit, ESPN College Football Analyst:
“Will Healy is a winner. Whether it’s as a player on Richmond’s 2008 National Championship team or as a coach where a year after going 0-11 in his first season, Healy’s Govs made historical improvement finishing 8-4 including a 7-1 mark in OVC play. His familiarity with the region, energy, talent evaluation and getting the best out of players will make Charlotte a player in Conference USA sooner than later.”

Pete Thamel, Yahoo Sports (12/4/18 article):
“Healy is considered an elite recruiter, communicator and program promoter, cut from the energetic CEO mold of Dabo Swinney and P.J. Fleck. Healy’s style is one of relentless positivity. Healy will bring a fresh energy to the program and city.”

Peter Burns, ESPN/SEC Network (from twitter)
"Healy is a rising star and going to do big things in Charlotte. Kudos to @rmikehill and @Charlotte49ers for thinking outside of the box on this."

Zach Barnett, Football Scoop (article updated 12/4/18):
“Healy has drawn comparison

4 Likes

Official Announcement:

3 Likes

Big time endorsements. I think he’s going places and taking us along for the ride!

1 Like

Those are some solid accolades. Optimistic!

1 Like

Maybe Mike Hill had something to do with those endorsements. If so, great work Mike Hill. Better still, great work Coach Healy for earning them.

“In my first conversation with [Mike Hill], I told him that I would walk to Charlotte to talk to him about this job,” said Healy.

4 Likes

I was only using this chatbox as a steppingstone for the next chatbox when my oldest child started attending a SEC school. I am starting to see and feel real progress now that makes me think leaving Charlotte would be foolish

I won’t lie. I was thinking that this was a joke when I first heard Healy’s name mentioned for this job. I was slow to accept that this was happening but after reading more about him I am on board & ready for next season to start. Hopefully we can pick up some more recruits & hire some good experienced coordinators to help along the way. Welcome to Charlotte Coach Healy! Go Niners!

3 Likes

Watch the locker room celebration in the first minute and you see the energy that he brings.

2 Likes

I was cool on Dirty Sanchez too…until the class he signed during the EARLY signing period. We rarely have that good of a class…but we never got a class that good in the EARLY signing period. That told me all I needed to know about Sanchez. We needed someone to recruit studs…local studs…and Sanchez did it out of the chute. He’s done more in recruiting in 6 mos than we have in the last decade.

I’m hoping for the same from Healy. If Healy hits the trail and starts bringing in quality 3 star players…and some local 3 star players…I’m sold.

Recruiting is a HUGE piece to success in both sports…a piece we’ve struggled with. Wins in recruiting = wins on the playing field more times than not.

Healy has a chance to sell us all hard out of the gate that he was the right hire with an impressive first recruiting class. It’s supposed to be a strength of his…if it is, we’ll find out soon!!

3 Likes

I’m most looking forward to the energy infusion we are going to get… this is going to be a really nice kick in the ass.

2 Likes

Big risk hire by Hill for his 1st Football HC. I’m not saying that big risk means a bad hire. I hope Healy has success here and advances the program. It’s a young fun energetic type hire as compared to a 60 year old boring retread. I’m really interested to see his contract $$$.

The weekly coaches show should be far more entertaining and worth watching now.

1 Like

…watching? You mean on replay?

I take it he will be spearheading the stadium expansion movement many are wanting. Not getting ahead but he doesn’t seem like a wait and see type personality.

2 Likes

Agree. He got things done at AP to make the program look better, internally and externally.

These comments are very impressive. Glad to see them. I’m feeling MUCH better about this hire and optimistic about our future.

clt wants to thank jmu and ecu!

Get ready,

1 Like

I tried to find an Austin Peay message board to see what they thought about Healy coming to Charlotte. I found a few boards, but nobody really posts on them. I saw one post on a Healy leaving thread, and the poster was just happy for him to get the opportunity after all he had done for APSU. I felt like we had just stolen the only toy from a poor child who felt like maybe he didn’t deserve a toy anyway.

4 Likes