Will Lutz Leave?

This is my first post since the move from CUSA Talk. I’ve been reading but have resisted the urge to post until now.

I had a conversation over this past weekend with a NC State supporter who told me that he understands the Pack will be making a big push to hire Bobby as their coach after this season. Could it happen (Lutz going to the ACC)? As has been mentioned in other threads, would the lure of being able to land the “big” recruits with the cache of the ACC (vs. the A-10) be enough reason for him to leave? The person I spoke with stated that he read an interview with Bobby that stated that it was his dream to coach one of the “Big Four”. Has anyone else seen such a statement in print from Lutz? What is the status of his contract? Is there any “outs” for openings in the ACC?

This is not a flame; I have been reading and posting on these forums since the gocarolinas.com days. Just wanted to get some of you others take on this.

GO 'Niners!

What in the world makes you think UNC Raleigh is one of the “Big Four”?

I thought Rick Barnes and Mike Jarvis were on their “want” list as well.

even after a loss to ECU.

:stuck_out_tongue:

his contract is through 2009

[i]Originally posted by JNinerGreen[/i]@Feb 1 2005, 09:35 PM [b] his contract is through 2009 [/b]
State could afford to buy it out, but I don't know that they would want him bad enough.

It would all depend on what we do the rest of the season. If we’re one and done in the tourney I don’t think they would come for him. If we make a run, it’s a whole new ball game.

[i]Originally posted by bigNINERdaddy[/i]@Feb 1 2005, 08:58 PM [b] This is my first post since the move from CUSA Talk. I've been reading but have resisted the urge to post until now.

I had a conversation over this past weekend with a NC State supporter who told me that he understands the Pack will be making a big push to hire Bobby as their coach after this season. Could it happen (Lutz going to the ACC)? As has been mentioned in other threads, would the lure of being able to land the “big” recruits with the cache of the ACC (vs. the A-10) be enough reason for him to leave? The person I spoke with stated that he read an intervirw with Bobby that stated that it was his dream to coach one of the “Big Four”. Has anyone else seen such a statement in print from Lutz? What is the status of his contract? Is there any “outs” for openings in the ACC?

This is not a flame; I have been reading and posting on these forums since the gocarolinas.com days. Just wanted to get some of you others take on this.

GO 'Niners! [/b]

I’ve got some friends over there. I’ll have to make some calls. I wouldn’t doubt it. They would go from no-offense to all-offense. Bobby’s a little more fired up than Herbie, yet a good ole boy that would fit in well with their Alumni.

Would you guys be pissed if he left for NCSU? Doesn’t seem like it based on your latest outcry. Show the guy some respect folks.

I hope Lutz doesn’t leave. He has shown that he is a great coach time and time again. His programs are always run clean and he is such a quality guy! He is a huge 49er supporter, and not only for b-ball. He has been to many soccer games and other sports over the years.
I know that some of you disagree, but we don’t know how good we have it until he would leave. I hope he stays as long as he wants to!

Trust me I have no desire to see him leave. I’d love for him to be here for another 10 years or beyond. But he’s said before he grew up an ACC fan, like most people in this area, and the lure of coaching there might be too much to pass up.

I wouldn’t like it, but I wouldn’t blame him either.

What does Sendek make? Paying Charlotte over $1million just to get Lutz? That’s pretty steep. A good showing in the elite 8 game or making the Final Four before Lutz leaves.

[i]Originally posted by Mike Niner Hunt[/i]@Feb 1 2005, 10:12 PM [b] Paying Charlotte over $1million just to get Lutz? [/b]
Forget the cash! I'll take what the University of Georgia had to give Western Kentucky when they hired Dennis Felton as head coach... a 4-year home and home series.

Bobby has always left himself an out when speaking on this matter. He always says sommething like ‘I have no intention of leaving Charlotte… as long as the program is heading in the right direction’ or something to that effect. He could use the move to the A10 as an excuse.

A move in-state would keep him close to his beloved Old North State Club and his home at Uwharrie Point.

At least we made it to February this year before the head coach vacancy talks started. I guess we can always replace him with Bill Herrion if Lutz suddenly vacates :rolleyes: .

[i]Originally posted by X-49er[/i]@Feb 1 2005, 10:55 PM [b] At least we made it to February this year before the head coach vacancy talks started. I guess we can always replace him with Bill Herrion if Lutz suddenly vacates :rolleyes: . [/b]
I would cancel my season tickets if we hired him.

I just think there is more than one way to look at our move to the A-10. I think it actually will be a blessing in disquise bc it will allow us to be dominant and go to the tournament EVERY year and do well. There obviously are some good teams in the league, but I believe we can be the Gonzaga of the East Coast.

My 2 cents…I don’t think Lutz would leave unless he felt he couldn’t be successful here before his contract is up.

If he was to leave, I think it would send some strong signals that this program may not have the ability to compete any higher than where it is right now.

I don’t think that anyone would be silly enough to even associate the “possible open position” with Herrion, but I would rethink my season tickets based on who was hired.

No, never…or at least I hope not. We’ve come too far, and he’s brought our program to a national level, and he will bring us farther…

GO LUTZ… GO NINERS!!!

[i]Originally posted by 49erpi[/i]@Feb 1 2005, 11:41 PM [b] Bobby has always left himself an out when speaking on this matter. He always says sommething like 'I have no intention of leaving Charlotte... as long as the program is heading in the right direction' or something to that effect. He could use the move to the A10 as an excuse.

A move in-state would keep him close to his beloved Old North State Club and his home at Uwharrie Point. [/b]

Bobby will not leave. Too much work YET to do.

BTW his home is in Harrisburg, NC… He just plays golf at Uhwharrie.

I thought it was interesting about what he said about Halton and Cincy in the paper today. Something along the lines of this is a true homecourt advantage because of the sellout and he wishes we could do that more often but it does not seem to happen.

The statement just hit me funny. Maybe just read it out of context but it seemed to have a lot of frustration and disappointment in it.

I think he stays as long as he feels like he can compete like he wants to. He has to set that bar for himself.

I think that Coach Lutz is a mighty smart man and I don’t think that he will just jump anywhere for the money. If NCSU was willing to double his salary wouldn’t others do it too? I think that the job at State is one of the worst high profile jobs in the country right now because if you are very successful and build it into a consistent top 10 program you will still be the 3rd best team in the triangle. Now the UVA job…