Will Price's First Year Be Better than Major's Last?

[quote=“9erken, post:38, topic:29591”][quote=“Nugget, post:35, topic:29591”]Well sure, this would be great, but I have been following the Niners since '77-78 and can count the number of players we have put in the league on one hand with fingers left over. And we have had a better than average program for many of those years.[/quote]Here’s the whole list from our Wiki page:

[ul][li]Cedric Ball (1990)[/li]
[li]Eddie Basden (2005–2006)[/li]
[li]Sean Colson (2000–2001)[/li]
[li]Byron Dinkins (1990–1991)[/li]
[li]DeMarco Johnson (1999–2000)[/li]
[li]Chad Kinch (1980–1981)[/li]
[li]Cedric Maxwell (1977–1988)[/li]
[li]Rodney White (2001–2005)[/li][/ul]
Only a few guys played more than one season. I think it’s also pretty unrealistic, given guys like DeMarco Johnson, Henry Williams, Joby Thomas, Byron Dinkins, and Eddie Basden, all-timers for us, couldn’t stick in the league. It’s a different level of talent. You might be able to argue we should have one player that at least makes a team every four years or so if our recruiting and results return to the late 90’s form. Even that is a tall order in the current landscape and our location in it.[/quote]

Every year it gets harder and harder to make the NBA as global participation grows in basketball.

There is so much talent overseas and the nba scouting networks are so good now it is getting tough for all but elite college players or just freak ATHELETES who slipped through the P5 cracks to stick in the league.

I would be ecstatic if we could just get a player to stick in the league at all.

I really thought Basden would be that guy but even he couldn’t do it.

Remember how good he was guys, that tells you the level of the NBA.

It’s just off the charts.

[ul][li]Cedric Ball (1990) – 26 minutes[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Eddie Basden (2005–2006) – 141 minutes[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Sean Colson (2000–2001) – 44 minutes[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Byron Dinkins (1990–1991) – 511 minutes[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]DeMarco Johnson (1999–2000) – 37 minutes[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Chad Kinch (1980–1981) – 353 minutes[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Cedric Maxwell (1977–1988) – 23,769 minutes[/li][/ul]

[ul][li]Rodney White (2001–2005) – 3,354 minutes[/li][/ul]
[size=1em][font=tahoma]We have some terrific players on this list, and they will always be able to say they played in the NBA, but when you look at their total career minutes played it is obvious that only 3 or 4 of them ever needed more than one pair of socks. I am proud and jealous of their accomplishments, but I don’t think this is what ninerfan55 is hoping for.[/font][/size]

maybe its the wording but i dont like this way of thinking. will we have 9 nba players like uk? probably not but there is no reason that we should not have at least one nba player per year on the roster.[/quote]That is just simply an unrealistic expectation.[/quote]

why? one a year or every other year. im not talking lottery pick. at the very least we need to put a few people in the league soon. it helps recruiting.[/quote]
Well sure, this would be great, but I have been following the Niners since '77-78 and can count the number of players we have put in the league on one hand with fingers left over. And we have had a better than average program for many of those years.[/quote]

and that is pitiful and that needs to change now.[/quote]

This is why I laugh at people that say you don’t need to go to a big name school to make the NBA when Thorne was considering Kentucky. For every Kevin Martin there are 10 Terrance Jones.

maybe its the wording but i dont like this way of thinking. will we have 9 nba players like uk? probably not but there is no reason that we should not have at least one nba player per year on the roster.[/quote]That is just simply an unrealistic expectation.[/quote]

why? one a year or every other year. im not talking lottery pick. at the very least we need to put a few people in the league soon. it helps recruiting.[/quote]
Well sure, this would be great, but I have been following the Niners since '77-78 and can count the number of players we have put in the league on one hand with fingers left over. And we have had a better than average program for many of those years.[/quote]

and that is pitiful and that needs to change now.[/quote]

OK Well since you have pointed this out for us all maybe Coach Price will get things right where basically all of our previous coaches failed in your eyes. I mean how hard can it be to sign NBA talent? ::slight_smile:

We all would like that kind of talent in the program, but you also need to be real with assessing both our specific program and where programs like us are in the pecking order. Maybe we luck into that kind of talent - but more likely we turn into a winning program not with amazing NBA talent but with solid players and solid coaching.

Wait what?

Outside of the blue bloods and a few other select schools, this isnt happening for schools

Doesn’t NN.N stand for Nervous Nellies Network?

I think it all depends on the strength of the theme. It will be hard to beat “Hop on the Bus”, but I recommend “Beat somebody!”

“Beat Anybody” would be more appropriate

[font=tahoma][size=13px]“Doesn’t NN.N stand for Nervous Nellies Network?”[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=13px]Nattering Nebobs Network[/size][/font]

[quote=“earlyniner, post:49, topic:29591”][font=tahoma][size=13px]“Doesn’t NN.N stand for Nervous Nellies Network?”[/size][/font]

[font=tahoma][size=13px]Nattering Nebobs Network[/size][/font][/quote]

Love the Spiro Agnew nod, said the ol’ grad.

[quote=“49er1, post:50, topic:29591”][quote=“earlyniner, post:49, topic:29591”][font=tahoma][size=13px]“Doesn’t NN.N stand for Nervous Nellies Network?”[/size][/font]

Love the Spiro Agnew nod, said the ol’ grad.[/quote]
glad i’m not the only one on nn.n that can remember that!

[quote=“earlyniner, post:51, topic:29591”][quote=“49er1, post:50, topic:29591”][quote=“earlyniner, post:49, topic:29591”][font=tahoma][size=13px]“Doesn’t NN.N stand for Nervous Nellies Network?”[/size][/font]

glad i’m not the only one on nn.n that can remember that![/quote]

You old farts are way too old to be posting on message boards.

[quote=“49r9r, post:52, topic:29591”][quote=“earlyniner, post:51, topic:29591”][quote=“49er1, post:50, topic:29591”][quote=“earlyniner, post:49, topic:29591”][font=tahoma][size=13px]“Doesn’t NN.N stand for Nervous Nellies Network?”[/size][/font]

glad i’m not the only one on nn.n that can remember that![/quote]

You old farts are way too old to be posting on message boards.[/quote]

but it’s such good exercise for our hands and fingers. it’s important to stay active you know.

Even with everybody gone from last year it will be really hard to play worse than they did. However with the lack of depth in the paint next years team will have to play zone which with a 30 second clock might be a good idea anyway. The pros banned the zone because of a 24 second clock, and the NCAA might eventually ban the zone to increase scoring as well.

lol, apparently you don’t know that zone is legal in the NBA.

I do agree we probably won’t be any worse

lol, apparently you don’t know that zone is legal in the NBA.

I do agree we probably won’t be any worse[/quote]

lol thank you hootie