Winthrop

Am I the only one that becomes more impressed with what they are doing over there? They played a solid game tonight and seem to be building a good program. (Not trying to be negative about us) Just impressed.

They’d kick our ass…by at least 10

They'd kick our ass...by at least 10

Doubt it. They lack the offensive fire power to run with us. If we’re playing NT style then yes. Hofstra style, no.

I like Winthrop, was pulling for them tonight. We were sitting lower level near their fans and I was surprised at how calm they were. Their band rarely played, their fans didn’t get into the game like Niner fans would have if we’d been in that game. Marshall road the officials most of the night, justifiably so by the way.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;199341]Doubt it. They lack the offensive fire power to run with us. If we’re playing NT style then yes. Hofstra style, no.

I like Winthrop, was pulling for them tonight. We were sitting lower level near their fans and I was surprised at how calm they were. Their band rarely played, their fans didn’t get into the game like Niner fans would have if we’d been in that game. Marshall road the officials most of the night, justifiably so by the way.[/QUOTE]

On TV it seemed that the Winthrop fans never made any noise whatsoever.

[QUOTE=Savio;199340]They’d kick our ass…by at least 10[/QUOTE]

pi? is that you?

[QUOTE=LakeNorman49er;199364]pi? is that you?[/QUOTE]

lol, no savio is not pi…move on

[QUOTE=MKNiner;199341]Doubt it. They lack the offensive fire power to run with us. If we’re playing NT style then yes. Hofstra style, no.

I like Winthrop, was pulling for them tonight. We were sitting lower level near their fans and I was surprised at how calm they were. Their band rarely played, their fans didn’t get into the game like Niner fans would have if we’d been in that game. Marshall road the officials most of the night, justifiably so by the way.[/QUOTE]
That’s why Crap Hole Hill is afraid to play us. They know that we would get too loud. Man, if i were a Winthrop fan I would be hoarse today. Oh well.

[QUOTE=ChevEE;199383]That’s why Crap Hole Hill is afraid to play us. They know that we would get too loud. Man, if i were a Winthrop fan I would be hoarse today. Oh well.[/QUOTE]
I’ve got news for some of you guys.

You better be damn glad we don’t play UNC-Ch or Duke this year (or last). They would kick our asses and embarrass us, probably in front of a national audience.

I hope we get better and I will support us no matter what. But put this, “They’re afraid to play us” crap to rest. It would not be a good thing for us right now. Maybe a few years ago and maybe in a couple of years. But not right now, we’re just not at that level right now.

BTW, just in case you need proof, North Texas lost at home last night to Texas-Arlington.

They did look pretty good at times, but they shot a hell of a lot of 3s, they rarely went inside, and they only shot ONE freethrow in the entire game (they missed it by the way). They also seem to be really bad at finishng games against big teams (as evidenced by last night’s game and their NCAA tournament games the last few years). I was imressed with their defense though.

That said, I think Gregg Marhsall is a great coach and has done an outstanding job bringing talent to Winthrop. I hope they continue to do well and actually win some of those games in the future.

[QUOTE=hootie;199387]I’ve got news for some of you guys.

You better be damn glad we don’t play UNC-Ch or Duke this year (or last). They would kick our asses and embarrass us, probably in front of a national audience.

I hope we get better and I will support us no matter what. But put this, “They’re afraid to play us” crap to rest. It would not be a good thing for us right now. Maybe a few years ago and maybe in a couple of years. But not right now, we’re just not at that level right now.

BTW, just in case you need proof, North Texas lost at home last night to Texas-Arlington.[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the NCAA, the home of upsets. You know we’re just talking smack when we say they are afraid to play us! Good Lord! No team ever rose to greatness from the fans being “realistic.” [I]Real [/I]fans live for the upsets and the blowouts! It’s not realistic that NT should have beaten us, but they did. Good for them. We shouldn’t have beaten Syracuse two years ago, but we did. And George Mason should not have made it to the Final Four, but guess what they did! I know their fans weren’t going, “Well, it’s just not realistic guys, it just isn’t.” Their fans supported them. So you need to stop acting like the world’s over because we happened to start out the year the same way we ALWAYS do!

Nothing against our own team, but I have no desire to play Winthrop right now. Sorry but we would NOT win that game unless we shot lights out. Winthrop is highly athletic, can shoot the 3 as good as, if not better than us and plays tremendous D. And we don’t have the inside game that the Holes have so Winthrop wouldn’t be as hesitant to go inside more. They had no choice but to play a perimeter game last night (hence the one FTA) but I think they could find a pretty good balance against us. But plain and simple, defense would be the difference.

I’m not a Gregg Marshall a$$ kisser and no clamoring for him to coach here but there’s no doubt that he is a fantastic coach who puts a ton of emphasis on defense. To do what he does in a mediocre conference is pretty impressive. They’re gonna take some lumps this year simply because of their brutal OOC schedule. But I’d be surprised if they lose a single conference game and could very well get an at-large this year. Definitely not a team you want to draw in the first weekend of the NCAA Tournament as Tennessee realized last year. Very lucky to have won that game.

D.O.B.A.

I think Winthrop is what we’d be if we recruited more defensive players. I really like their team, but they are the kings of moral victories. Marshall’s offense looks a lot like Lutz’s, with less competent scorers (but better defenders).

D.O.B.A.

I think Winthrop is what we’d be if we recruited more defensive players. I really like their team, but they are the kings of moral victories. Marshall’s offense looks a lot like Lutz’s, with less competent scorers (but better defenders).

Agreed but the difference in the offenses is that Winthrop shoots most of their threes from the inside out. Even aganst much bigger teams like the Holes, the ball gets into the post most times, where we just tend to move the ball around the perimeter and force a bad 3.

Also, Marshall lets them gun on offense in exchange for defensive effort. That’s a prety good motivator for todays players.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;199397]D.O.B.A.

I think Winthrop is what we’d be if we recruited more defensive players. I really like their team, but they are the kings of moral victories. Marshall’s offense looks a lot like Lutz’s, with less competent scorers (but better defenders).[/QUOTE]

Accurate assessment. I heard Williams give the scouting report on Winthrop before the game. He said they try to get quick hitters for their shooters early, if not they run motion. I don’t think they run as many sets as us (not that ours have been working lately). I saw a lot of just running around, setting picks but they are athletic and had a very active 2-3 zone.

We ran a lot of pick and roll, two man game vs North Texas with DA working with EJ, Courtney, Coleman. Nothing was open and DA forced it. We have to get better ball movement. Versus Hofstra, EJ got more touches inside.

Apparently Winthrop did what so many teams try in Chapel Hill. The played well in the first half, got a lead, and then fouled a lot in the second half. UNCs 19-1 foul shot edge made a differance.

[QUOTE=gamer;199406]Apparently Winthrop did what so many teams try in Chapel Hill. The played well in the first half, got a lead, and then fouled a lot in the second half. UNCs 19-1 foul shot edge made a differance.[/QUOTE]

This was pretty good quality sarcasm.

D.O.B.A.

Agree.

Defense has always been a struggle for us. I think the challenge is that Lutz’s offensive system requires guys that are solid shooters. In today’s environment few players can do both shooting and defense. And the ones that can don’t come here to play.

[QUOTE=LeftyNiner;199405]We ran a lot of pick and roll, two man game vs North Texas with DA working with EJ, Courtney, Coleman. Nothing was open and DA forced it. We have to get better ball movement. Versus Hofstra, EJ got more touches inside.[/QUOTE]
Obviously the sets we chose against NT didn’t work. We did have some good plays this weekend and Lee continues to impress me with his quick thinking. Unfortunately Antwon and Courtney aren’t always with the picture. But when they put one together it can be beautiful! Though it didn’t involve passing, I liked the fast break where Leemire ran with two defenders who thought for sure he was going all the way to the board. But when they jumped up to block they realized he was 5 feet behind hem for a short range jumper. With the low assist numbers I’m sure we’ll see more plays. Everyone gets into the Lutz running offense and forgets that it doesn’t have to be run and shoot. In fact we really excel in our running game when we utilize smart passing and good assists. Back on topic though… Winthrop ran a good game. Their quick defense seems to have kept them in the game.

A Georgia State view of the game… http://www.caazone.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=53959&sid=96d49439af80ca526fd9553aa9328904

[b]ACC officials and mid-majors[/b] Winthrop led UNC at Chapel Hill by 8 at halftime and lost by 7. The foul count was 25 to 8. The free throw count was 1 to 19. UNC defends its #2 ranking the usual ACC way....home-cooking officiating....a proud Tobacco Road tradition.

[QUOTE=MKNiner;199421]Agree.

Defense has always been a struggle for us. I think the challenge is that Lutz’s offensive system requires guys that are solid shooters. In today’s environment few players can do both shooting and defense. And the ones that can don’t come here to play.[/QUOTE]
But the thing is, all you have to do to play good defense is want to. You don’t have to have God-given ability to play D. It’s about desire and apparently our coaches don’t instill that desire.

The way most coaches instill desire is sit your ass on the bench. It just doesn’t seem to be a priority for us. We would rather switch defenses every other trip than just guard people and get in their jocks.

Not to try to disagree with you MK, but most high recruits to almost any big-time school have never guarded anybody in their lives, they haven’t had to. In college, when everybody is good is when they had to start learning and doing it. AAU has helped some with the competition level, but most of the coaches there are pimps and are pushing to see what they can get