WKU basketball - Rick Stansbury era

This guy is an example of the breaks CUSA needs if it is going to gain ground towards relevance any time soon. Since he’s made his run at a larger program, took some time off and is now back at it, my hope is that he picked WKU for a reason and will stick around a while.

Between WKU and MTSU, we may finally see multi-bids from CUSA this season.

He’s playing a dangerous game with horrible timing. Everybody knows he’s cheating and WKU is just the type of program that the NCAA loves smacking in the mouth when they want to look strong while they pussyfoot around with UNCCh.

“If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying.”
– Joe Montana

[quote=“Run49er, post:20, topic:30254”]WKU picks up yet another graduate transfer who will be immediately eligible next season in 6-9/240 PF Dwight Coleby from Kansas. Didn’t log a lot of minutes with the Jayhawks last season but did have a 12 point game at Texas. Spent first two seasons at Ole Miss.

Not exactly sure how Stansbury is going to manage all the players he’s bringing in. As I have mentioned previously, more players than scholarships for what will probably be the preseason favorite in C-USA.[/quote]
Rising sophomore G Damari Parris of Charlotte (Evelyn Mack Academy / Olympic HS) leaving program per Verbal Commits. With his departure, there will be NO scholarship players from last year’s Hilltopper team when the 2017-18 season begins.

“If you ain’t cheating, you ain’t trying.”
– Joe Montana[/quote] …and if you get caught, you weren’t trying hard enough. Stansbury probably ain’t trying hard enough.

Look for big news on this front very soon :slight_smile:

Reading about the reported resignation of assistant Shammond Williams, who is also the godfather of incoming freshman center Mitchell Robinson. Is that the big news?

Yeah, rumors are flying about Robinson’s ability to get out of his scholarship. This is the second time he committed to Stansbury through, so he may stay…

Following up on last night’s Western Kentucky Dirt where I reported that WKU assistant Shammond Williams was out, and would be replaced by Stetson’s Nikita Johnson.

I have now also learned that assistant coach Chris Cheeks has resigned. The coaching veteran joined the Hilltopper staff last spring after spending four seasons on the staff at Delaware. Cheeks has also worked at Charlotte, Georgia State, West Virginia and VCU.

All three assistants from Stansbury’s original staff are now gone. In addition to Cheeks and Williams, Quannas White left earlier this spring to become an assistant at Houston. White has already been replaced by GA Ben Hansbrough.

Source: Western Kentucky Dirt II: Another Assistant Resigns... - HoopDirt

Parris did not leave voluntarily as Stansbury chose not renew his scholarship.

So wirh no returning players or assistants from last year’s WKU squad, Stansbury is basically starting over. And he may not be done adding new Hilltoppers as former Illinois State 6-8 F Deontae Hawkins has reopened his recruitment after initially committing to Boston College and WKU among the schools he is considering. Eligible immediately after leading Redbirds last season with 14 ppg and 6.5 rpg and being named second team and most improved player in the Missouri Valley.

Looking into the old crystal ball, I see WKU with no official wins next year and on probation from NCAA participation with Stansbury moving to another job unscathed. Isn’t that how the NCAA works?

I am sure their fans will give him multiple years since the cupboard is bare.

clt says the NCAA will punish wku for the massive academic fraud at CHeat

I don’t get what’s happening here. Stansbury signs one helluva class, then all his assistants start bailing? Are they bailing because of Stansbury, or looking for better gigs at bigger schools since they may bring the recruits with them?

[quote=“dmastinsc, post:34, topic:30254”]I don’t get what’s happening here. Stansbury signs one helluva class, then all his assistants start bailing? Are they bailing because of Stansbury, or looking for better gigs at bigger schools since they may bring the recruits with them?[/quote]or stansbury uses them to get the recruits he wanted and he pushes them out to bring in new assistants with connections to recruits he wants for the next class.

clt says wku ilumanti is confirmed.

This sounds like the perfect opportunity for Dalonte Hill to resurface.

[quote=“Nugget, post:37, topic:30254”]This sounds like the perfect opportunity for Dalonte Hill to resurface.[/quote]IIRC, Hill is now at UTC or Murray State.

Austin Peay to be exact. He and head coach Matt Figger were assistants at K-State under Frank Martin.

Run, you say that like he wouldn’t pack a truck and leave a message on the HC’s answering machine as he headed out of town. :wink: