WKU becomes newest CUSA member

WKU to CUSA going “official” on Monday

Didn’t think this would happen until Tulsa officially left.

This is good. They have played a lot of good basketball in the past.

Well, I guess we can count on never winning a conference tournament.

Yeah PB, When we last hosted a basketball tourney, the sunbelt days WKU knocked us out. We had a good team, just seems to go that way for us.

I am glad to see Big Red join.

WKU has more history than I originally thought. The 8th best winning percentage in the NCAA and four final four appearances. They also have a nice message board.

http://www.hilltopperhaven.com/board/

This is a very good add for CUSA basketball. Not so sure what their other sports are like. Very happy with this addition.

This seems like a win to me. WKU is closer to Charlotte and they have a strong basketball tradition. Am I missing something with regard to Tulsa or is this a wash with a bit of a positive on the basketball side and a big positive for travel costs?

This is my first post by the way. Long time lurker but I want to get involved on the board.

Niner fan profile.

Class of 92
Bball season tickets since opening season in Halton
FSL owner
Frequently at Niner soccer games.

[quote=“Gassman, post:9, topic:27663”]This seems like a win to me. WKU is closer to Charlotte and they have a strong basketball tradition. Am I missing something with regard to Tulsa or is this a wash with a bit of a positive on the basketball side and a big positive for travel costs?

This is my first post by the way. Long time lurker but I want to get involved on the board.

Niner fan profile.

Class of 92
FSL owner
Frequently at Niner soccer games.[/quote]

It is a positive for the basketball side of things, but Tulsa is a much better football program right now. WKU has only been FBS for a few years and they’ve done okay in their time, but Tulsa has won several CUSA championships and finished ranked several times too. Even though he’s sleazy, Petrino should help make WKU a football contender quickly.

The one negative of adding WKU and MTSU is it makes it somewhat likely that UAB goes west…although I can’t imagine UAB would be too happy with that, so maybe not.

[quote=“Gassman, post:9, topic:27663”]This seems like a win to me. WKU is closer to Charlotte and they have a strong basketball tradition. Am I missing something with regard to Tulsa or is this a wash with a bit of a positive on the basketball side and a big positive for travel costs?

Niner fan profile.

Class of 92
FSL owner
Frequently at Niner soccer games.[/quote]

Welcome to the board Gassman!

I am very happy with WKU. Their basketball program is a big plus for CUSA.

Plus, they’re a large public school and much, much closer than Tulsa.

We played WKU way back in the ancient Sun Belt days.

As long as UAB sees SoMiss every year on the gridiron and twice on the court, they’ll be happy in either division.

2 words…Benny Moss. ;D

WKU is good, and we own them.

(Okay, I don’t know what I’m talking about. Like I don’t know our all time record against them. But I was at that game, and that’s good enough for me.)

Awesome comeback, we had a pretty good team I think, won the regular season conference title…but…a few weeks later we hosted the Sun Belt Conference tournament and played wku in our first game and choked. Lost out on an NCAA bid, played uconn in the first round of the NIT in the Coliseum (Tyvola) and lost again. Sorry end of a pretty good season '88-'89.

WKU is good, and we own them.

(Okay, I don’t know what I’m talking about. Like I don’t know our all time record against them. But I was at that game, and that’s good enough for me.)[/quote]

I think WKU leads the all time series 13-8, at least that is what they posted on CSNbbs.

I am very excited about WKU being added to C-USA. It will be great for basketball.

I might get burned at the stake for saying this, but especially with WKU, we ended up in the best possible basketball league we could have asked for. I for one am thrilled with our conference.

Yeah, it’s not glamorous, and we don’t have any big “name teams” like Butler, Temple, or X, but there are some solid programs and hot programs on the rise in this league. UTEP is bringing in ridiculous recruits, Southern Miss has established itself as a perinneal top 50 team, LA Tech and MTSU are on the rise, WKU has great history. ODU fell on it’s face last year but they are a great program historically and will be back on top soon.

There are definitely some garbage teams at the bottom, but the top third or so of CUSA is very respectable. If we can consistently be a top 3 team in the league each year, we will be OK.

It ended up not being as bad because A-10 lost some really quality programs and might not be done, but this is not a good basketball conference. We’ll be lucky most years to get an at-large out of this conference.

If we are strong out of conference, we should be okay though.