WTF, Panthers, ANOTHER first rounder?

ESPN was talking about draft strategy recently. It basically talked about the rookie salaries of elite draft picks in relation to cap space and how it is really mucking up the tried-and-true method of building your team through the draft.

Basically in today’s world, ‘smart’ teams trade down and ‘dumb’ teams trade up. Pretty much the opposite of what fans like me want. New England was mentioned as an example of a team that trades down 9 times out of 10. They absolutely avoid picking near the top of the draft if they can help it. A top pick in their eyes is almost seen as a punishment.

It does make sense when you start to think about it. Imagine you’re a veteran that’s busted his ass in the NFL for years and you have to take a pay cut in order for the team to overpay some clown that has never played a down in the NFL in his life. There’s gotta be some resentment when the newbie is still learning the ropes in training camp. It’s really not the best strategy to win.

I don’t blame Carolina at all for eschewing their 1st rounder at all — I blame the NFL for not fixing the salary structure. Until they do, the draft won’t be nearly as fun as it used to be.

First off, ESPN/Survivor are right. First round picks are too expensive versus their potential payoff in a salary cap structure. If Stafford is a bust at Detroit, they are absolutely ****ed… for years. That number he got is ridiculous.

Yes!

I still have the Mandarich cover SI issue. He was supposed to be the best OL ever. Turned out to be just a big roid head that couldn’t play.

I think it was a good draft that addressed our needs, given the limited options we had. Brown was supposed to go 1st round but was seen as undersized. Dwight Freeny maybe? Robinson, our 5th round guard, was supposed to go in the first 2. We may not get what the “experts” say are the best picks, but our staff, who know better than any of us. Has done a nice job in the last few drafts with Stewart, Otah, DeAngelo, Beason. We seem to gripe every time but mo0st of the picks meet or exceed expectations. Regardless of what Peter “I love the patriots” King has to say about anything.

This what I learned from the draft:

http://www.dickipedia.org/dick.php?title=Mel_Kiper,_Jr.

I think you need to grade GM’s… Some GM’s get the draft and some don’t. I think Hurney has been a fairly good GM on draft day, so I trust the decisions. This kid turns out to be Freeney or even Robert Mathis bookended with Peppers everyone will be thrilled… I was puzzeld at the kid from A&M till I read how they intend to use him. Trust Hurney till he shows he shouldn’t be.

Cowherd was saying today how the Cheatriots have figured out that 2nd rounders are the real golden picks. Much less expensive. Fits in with the salary cap strategy.

At this point, I wouldn’t pick in the first round, especially early, unless I had a chance to get a potential pro-bowler at a major need position. It’s just not worth the financial risk.

From ESPN.com:

The Carolina Panthers liked what they saw from second-round choice Everette Brown, who cost them a 2010 first-round pick to acquire in a trade. Coach John Fox knows the importance of getting a pass rush, and Brown, a defensive end, showed he can help. Everyone noticed his first step and how he can get an edge on a blocker with that first step. One of the knocks on the pass-rushers of this draft is their lack of height compared to previous crops. For whatever reason, scouts feel more comfortable using first-round choices on pass-rushers who stand 6-foot-4 or taller. On the Panthers’ official roster, Brown is listed as 6-1, but he showed he can get around blockers. Julius Peppers wasn’t at the minicamp because he hasn’t signed his franchise tag. He probably will miss a good portion of training camp, but management feels he will be there for the regular season. In the meantime, the plan is to develop Brown as a rusher.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=4135310