Xavier post game discussion

Winthrop is actually worse, they average 36.4 rebounds a game, we average 38.7.

Winthrop shoots a better percentage. You rebound a little more when you hit less than 30% of your shots.

Ian will have to become more consistent if he is to become a true perimeter threat.
Ian needs to be placed farther down the bench next year. Hope Bowden and Coleman can take the majority of minutes. Barnett seems to be becoming a better option, too.
Spears has already proven himself at Boston College. I do not expect him to be a great player, but I do expect him to be better than anyone currently on the floor.
Spears is at least tough minded on the floor. May help Jones' progression to have Spears on the floor.

As for the game last night, only thing I can say is, glad to see Barnett getting more minutes. I like his development for when Coleman graduates next year.

[QUOTE=punkrockcowboy;380882]running a pick and roll[/QUOTE]

If we actually run a pick & roll during a home game, Iā€™ll pass out from disbelief. Look for my body tumbling down the aisle.

We used to run them all the time, but weā€™re forgotten how. We also canā€™t set a decent screen to save our lives.

Are we forgetting Wilderness as a Junior!!
He can be as good as anyone mentioned

On the postgame, Lutz said they heard Sean Miller on his radio show say they only have one guy who can score, Lamont Mack. That about sums it up. Mack scored 7 of 13 total pts scored in the first half. Jones was 0-7 in the first 10 minutes of the first half. No one can say we didn't get the ball inside.

Iā€™m afraid it comes back to the players and current talent level, which comes back to talent evaluation and recruiting. We missed on a number of shooters (and one is on the bench) over the last couple of years and our big men canā€™t score.

Bingo! This has been my stance for years. That doesnā€™t mean that I think Lutz is a basketball mind genius. Just means that I donā€™t think the system is the complete problem. Iā€™ve stated it many times before, it is a very similar style that Dook, Florida and UL use. And obviously theyā€™ve had success with it.

Yep. That is the college game unless you run a specific slow down system.

I have not heard the ā€œlutz is a great recruiterā€ rant in a while which is one that I have never understood.

My question is what are we going to do about it? Basketball is getting about as much money as it is ever going to get unless we pick up quite a bit more fans because I am going to have to choose and probably slice my donations up between football and basketball tickets and I can see many more doing the same.

That is $1,000,000 question in my mind. Do we think there is somebody who can have better recruiting success? In that regard, I almost agree with the concept of we wonā€™t know unless we try to find somebody else. There may be a chance that person wonā€™t do any better recruiting, but as long as weā€™re not locked in long term, we could try finding somebody again.

I thought shaving the stache was going to help with recruiting. :biggrin:

I watched that game last night instead of most of ours. Wake was a mess down the stretch, poor coaching and execution, but they held Duke off just enough because guys like Aminu, Teague & Johnson are superior players. All3 are amazing athletes and can create shots for themselves and make plays. Still Duke tied the game. Wake's coach should have called timeouts twice when he didnt and Wake turned it over. He made one good call down the stretch - the final inbounds play (which anyone who watched the game could see coming). Otherwise, Wake would have mismanaged the 2nd half right into a loss. The players' abilities hid all the mistakes until that last, finally solid call.

As of about a week ago, all of Wakeā€™s starters were shooting over 50% from the field! Thatā€™s pretty sick. Teague, in my mind, is way underrated. People also forget that Wake has 3 guys that they beat us out on in recruiting. 1 which isnā€™t even on the team because of playing time and another who no longer starts. That should show the difference in talent level.

Yep. That is the college game unless you run a specific slow down system. I watched the Duke/ Wake game last night and Dino Guido was far from stellar last night or in our game last year at TWC in his coaching abilities but he flat out recruited and signed some big time athletes/players. Wake is loaded with talent... just roll the ball out.

I understand what youā€™re saying but Iā€™ve yet to see Gaudio have an effect on recruiting. The 3 big gets for this year are all of Prosserā€™s work. Gaudio was lucky they honored theyā€™re commitment.

If we actually run a pick & roll during a home game, I'll pass out from disbelief. Look for my body tumbling down the aisle.

Iā€™ll keep an eye out Saturday.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;380908]I understand what youā€™re saying but Iā€™ve yet to see Gaudio have an effect on recruiting. The 3 big gets for this year are all of Prosserā€™s work. Gaudio was lucky they honored theyā€™re commitment.[/QUOTE]

Time will tell how well Gaudio does. Itā€™s easier to sell Wake Forest and the chance to play in the ACC then it is to sell Charlotte. If Gaudio is successful this year with this team, he may reap the benifits in recruiting for years to come. I will give Gaudio credit for this, Prosser was a terrible defensive coach, one of the worst I have ever seen and Gaudio has this Wake team playing some very good defense.

Other then the time Eddie was here, I donā€™t recall us ever being a very good defensive team, rather you blame that on Bobby or the players heā€™s recruited

Time will tell how well Gaudio does. It's easier to sell Wake Forest and the chance to play in the ACC then it is to sell Charlotte. If Gaudio is successful this year with this team, he may reap the benifits in recruiting for years to come. I will give Gaudio credit for this, Prosser was a terrible defensive coach, one of the worst I have ever seen and Gaudio has this Wake team playing some very good defense.

Other then the time Eddie was here, I donā€™t recall us ever being a very good defensive team, rather you blame that on Bobby or the players heā€™s recruited

Totally agree.

[QUOTE=CharSFNiners;380908]Iā€™ll keep an eye out Saturday.[/QUOTE]

Does this mean weā€™re gonna run it? :headbang:

BTW, when are you gonna get a new title there Fibber? Or is it a badge of honor now?

Does this mean we're gonna run it? :headbang:

BTW, when are you gonna get a new title there Fibber? Or is it a badge of honor now?

Wouldnā€™t get your hopes up.

Thatā€™s not up to me. I canā€™t think of any real good title, so atleast this gets some attention from people, since I donā€™t fib I get asked why I have it from time to time in the shoutbox.

You know Iā€™ll fix it if you just ask - or better yet - tell me what you want it changed to.

I can put you back on the default system if you want.

You know I'll fix it if you just ask - or better yet - tell me what you want it changed to.

I can put you back on the default system if you want.

Iā€™ll think about itā€¦ Everything I think up is either to cheesy/retarded/etc. A problem I have I guess. If we keep playing games like this I may be due for a rant sooner or later and that might spurn something, but Iā€™m afraid I may be too apathetic for that by now.