Xavier Post Game

A much better game then Wednesday and the players played hard. Barnett made this game close, without him it would of been another blowout. Not sure how many 3’s he hit that were 3+ feet behind the arch.

I know I’m repeating myself, but Major is getting out coached at the end of games. With 12 seconds left needing 3 to tie you do not leave your worst FT shooting player in the game. As soon as he gets the ball the other team automatically fouls him and now you have no chance to tie the game. Even though Mayfield has been playing better, he is still your worst FT shooting player and you do NOT leave your worst FT shooting player in the game down by 3 with 12 seconds left with possession. It was well coached by the opposing team, as soon as #11 gets the ball foul him. Well played and it ruined our chance to tie/win the game.

I don’t agree with your assessment. He has been money from the line and really our offense had been running through him. I think he was playing solid defense and with a made basket it would be hard to get him back in the game if we made a three to tie. I would have hated to see Williams playing the three because he would have been owned if Xavier got the ball back. The percentage game is over rated. Freeze is garbage percentage wise…drained a pair tonight.

Side note…when 3 back court guards give you 12 points, you should not lost by 4. Or better yet when 5 people who played from 13 to 28 minutes a piece give you 16 points total you should again not lose by 4. Nickerson should not be playing. Tied for team high in TOs and only playing 13 minutes. Dude is just overmatched.

Better than the game against Temple.

I miss watching Henry in the game. He brings so much energy. We were 1 big guy from winning the game. We had no answer for them in the paint. Our big and a half just got dominated. We kept making it a close game but couldn’t get over the hump. Braswell should have gotten the ball more in the 2nd half.

Anyone notice how Green continously doesn’t pass the ball/waits to long to pass it to Barnett? It happens a couple times a game. JB will be open at the 3 and Green looks that way but doesn’t pass. Especially how JB was tonight, get him the ball.

Briscoe and Green just can’t seem to get their offensive game going. Disappointing.

Fun game to be at. Not as miserable to watch like Wednesday.

Anyone get the new Norm 5/3 bank bobblehead with the football and basketball? I got one but interested in buying another one if anyone is interested in selling… pm me.

Money?? He is shooting 44% FT’s. And from 3 point land 28[size=11px][font=verdana]%[/font][/size]

This is not the guy you want in the game when you need 3 points with 12 seconds to go and you got possession coming out of a time out.

For all the s*** I’ve talked, gotta give Mayfield some credit for improving his free throws. Looks like he catches the pass from the ref and goes straight up with it. Probably helps he doesnt think about it. Hopefully he continues. Now if he could work on his 3pt%. He could be solid for us the next 2 years.

But Mayfield shooting 5 3s in a game is WAY to many for a <30% shooter. He only made 1.

The good thing is we are getting some young guys experience. Even though E Vic has been brutal, we still need to get him minutes and let him learn. The guy just seems to be overwhelmed or not well coordinated. He just can’t hang onto the ball, not sure what that is all about.

Money?? He is shooting 44% FT’s. And from 3 point land 28[font=verdana]%[/font]

This is not the guy you want in the game when you need 3 points with 12 seconds to go and you got possession coming out of a time out.[/quote]

True - but he was 6 for 8 tonight, with the last one being what may have been an intentional miss. I hope this is a trend for him and he has worked out the kinks at the line. I was shocked, but for some reason when he stepped to the line tonight, I had full confidence in him.

Holloway has no class. He was running his mouth at our guys all night long. He got away with a lot of fouls tonite too. Taunting is why stuff happens like in the Cincinnati game. I have less respect for Xavier after tonite.

I agree he has been playing better, just not good enough to leave in at the end of a game needing 3 points. The other coach out coached us and fouled Mayfield as soon as he got the ball. It was a smart foul and sealed the game for them. We’ve seen this in to many games this year, but we keep playing him in the last seconds of games. Maybe we just sacrifice this year for experience for these younger guys, which I’m fine if that’s the agenda.

And if Holloway was on our team, we’d love him (most of us anyway)… I’d love to have him!

not gonna win alot of games when we only have Braswell or KJ down low at a time. need another true PF/C to bang down low on defense.

I disagree. Nothing wrong with talking shit between players on the floor. Happens every game. There’s more than you think. Henry is good at it. If I played and slammed someones shot back in their face, u better believe I’ll tell them to get that shit out of here.

I agree he has been playing better, just not good enough to leave in at the end of a game needing 3 points. The other coach out coached us and fouled Mayfield as soon as he got the ball. It was a smart foul and sealed the game for them. We’ve seen this in to many games this year, but we keep playing him in the last seconds of games. Maybe we just sacrifice this year for experience for these younger guys, which I’m fine if that’s the agenda.[/quote]

I said he has been…and he has (Including SLU game he has been 12-16. Like I said the statistics are skewed because of early play). You also say that sealed the game. In reality we were fighting for the rebound with one ref giving it to us and another not. It was a bang bang play and we were on the short side. If you honestly think JB would have got a clean look you are crazy. The other guys were 3-16 from three besides him. Letting them shoot would have been a less risky play then knocking down two free throws and putting the pressure on them to make theirs.

It is what it is, no point crying over spilled milk as this season is all but toast for us. At some point we will have to let the young guys play and make their mistakes and build for next year. We were bailed out tonight by Barnett’s crazy string of 3’s. We better find someone who can score before next year so we don’t have to go through this crap again.

I’m hoarse after the game. It’s been a while. I thought what did us in was not being able to score for a few possessions after we tied the game. One minute we were tied. The next minute we were down 5.

I was not happy with result but pleased with effort. We put up a fight without our starting PG. Between the moonshine, the 49er punch and the NinerSchlager and all the yelling I am also without a voice, but had a good time.

[quote=“ninersfan99, post:9, topic:26281”]I agree he has been playing better, just not good enough to leave in at the end of a game needing 3 points. The other coach out coached us and fouled Mayfield as soon as he got the ball. It was a smart foul and sealed the game for them. We’ve seen this in to many games this year, but we keep playing him in the last seconds of games. Maybe we just sacrifice this year for experience for these younger guys, which I’m fine if that’s the agenda.[/quote] Actually, no, it didn’t seal the game for them. We probably should’ve gotten the ball out of bounds after the missed ft’s down only 2 with ~ 10 sec left. But we didn’t get that call (one referee overruled the other, that’s how close it was). That’s not outcoaching, that’s getting lucky as hell. What sealed the game was Holloway hitting his two ft’s after that. But I disagree that the foul was a smart play, especially with over 10 seconds left. They came close to blowing a game in regulation, let alone going to overtime. It’s the other risk that comes with fouling up 3. I think that was a bad move, but they got lucky on the call.

Mayfield has shot ft’s awful earlier in the season, but right now I’d say he’s our 3rd or 4th best ft shooter. Look at his last 4 or 5 games, he’s improved to the point that it’s better having him in there than the alternatives. So please stop with the “outcoaching” claim based on this, that’s no longer true.

The Niners could’ve been ahead at that point of course, if we could box out on the rebounds, cut down on the bad decisions (especially Green, our senior sg), and of course if we had a pg to play tonight. If you want to criticize coaching, I think that’s what you criticize. Green and Briscoe did the best they could, but they just aren’t very good at the point guard position. This team is much better with Henry at pg, Green/Briscoe/Williams at sg.

Even with that, I’m encouraged to see the entire team continue fighting. They may not have a complete team at the moment, but guys are playing hard and seem to be leaving it on the court. Really wish they could get a few breaks, get lucky, or maybe get a little homecooking at least.

There is nothing to complain about in this game. This team just got all their guys back from suspension. This is the team that was undefeated until those suspensions. We just played a GREAT Xavier team within 4 points. Love the heart shown by our guys. Tu Holloway can talk all the junk he wants. He is a good player with nothing but heart. If anything I gained respect for him after tonight. If that alley oop goes down with about 6 to go, giving us a lead, and momentum, you never know what happens. I am so absolutely proud of our team, our fans, and our coaches tonight. Hope Pierria gets better soon.

Derrio and Deuce didn’t bring much to the table tonight on offense. If Deuce doesn’t bring offense, doesn’t bring much to the table.

We gave up too many easy entry passes for layups to their bigs.

[quote=“2k, post:19, topic:26281”]Derrio and Deuce didn’t bring much to the table tonight on offense. If Deuce doesn’t bring offense, doesn’t bring much to the table.

We gave up too many easy entry passes for layups to their bigs.[/quote]

I hated watching that all night. They really utilized the bounce pass inside very well. They scored buckets before our guys knew what was going on.