Youngsown Postgame

Feed cut off so I didn’t get to hear any postgame. Good to see Harris have such a good offensive showing.

Seemed like when we sub less we got into a really good flow. Coleman had some really nice passes. Everyone had a pretty good game. Most players that got substantial playing time in double digits. Although, it’s Youngstown State, so take it with a grain of salt.

If you missed the game, you missed some really good basketball. :49ers:

Good to win one at home… from what I saw in the shoutbox lots of players did well.

Apparently Coley was hurt though… something about his eye.

[QUOTE=action49er;371638]Good to win one at home… from what I saw in the shoutbox lots of players did well.

Apparently Coley was hurt though… something about his eye.[/QUOTE]

Coley… 8 stitches above the eye.

Glad we won this one handily. At times we looked pretty good, though the competition did not. It’s telling that our rpi dropped to 198 after this win. After we play Long Island, it’ll probably be over 200. Not that that matters anymore. :unhappy:

Harris played well aside from pushing it a few too many times. They were able to drive on us pretty easily, but we managed to block or alter a number of their shots after the drive. Jones has a nice looking jump shot, but I’d still like to see him go up strong more often.

We probably won’t know if we’ve really improved until the Maryland game.

So I decided to look up the last time we scored 100 points.

04-05 we lost in 3OT to Alabama 102-101.

03-04 we won in 2OT at Old Dominion 105-102.
03-04 we beat NC A&T 102-39. (DAMN)

this game killed our RPI…we were around 170, now we are at 198! :huh:

and don’t say its too “early” to look at RPI.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a win drop you 25 places

our SOS is now 161 :unhappy::unhappy:

[URL]http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_216_Men.html[/URL]

[QUOTE=LoyalNiner;371644]

04-05 we lost in 3OT to Alabama 102-101.

03-04 we won in 2OT at Old Dominion 105-102.
03-04 we beat NC A&T 102-39. (DAMN)[/QUOTE]

Such fond memories of each of these games.

Alabama game was delayed at the start because of a lighting problem.

ODU game … Plavich sinks a 3 pointer from outside of camera range. Suddenly the ball is going towards to basket and goes in.

NC A&T game was THE high water mark of the college career of Martin ****i.

this game killed our RPI...we were around 170, now we are at 198! :huh:

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_216_Men.html

I like keeping up with this stuff, so thanks for the post. However, I won’t say it’s “too early”, but I think it’s “TOO LATE”. I try to stay positive, but after the 6 early loses, I think it’s not going to matter. Now, if we can finish in the top 2 in conference regular season, it’s our only way in unless we win the tournament.

[QUOTE=metro;371645]this game killed our RPI…we were around 170, now we are at 198! :huh:

[URL]http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_216_Men.html[/URL][/QUOTE]

Crazy thing was this opponent was more interesting than some of the recent Christmas break opponents…UNC trAsheville, Gardner-Webb, Faraway Dickinson.

I had a lot of trouble staying awake during those games.

ETA: as far as RPI…those 6 losses has kind of tempered my enthusiasm/concern about it. Kind of need a notable win (or 2) to get me more excited about it.

The three best things to come out of this game:

• If Harris continues to look for his offense, he can be a real threat. He doesn’t force it but can get a good shot for himself when he needs to. Since he is not a creative PG…he can use his quickness to create space for his own offense when a play or set breaks down. His jumper looks good and his pullup jumper (because of his quickness) is nasty.
  • Coleman showed that he should be a HUGE upgrade for us in the backup PG position…if Lutz will give him that chance. Dew is lost there and Coleman knows how to create and sees the floor so well (6 assists today). His shot looks much better now that his wrist is healed too.
  • Phil continues to get better. He has a great jumpshot. Blocks shots without leaving his feet until he has to. Is getting more assertive in calling for the ball and getting position. Passes great out of the post (may be our best passing big man ever…or at least what I’ve seen).

Still need work on:

• Defense. ALOT of open looks.
  • We continue to miss opportunities. *Wilderness missed Phil on a pick & roll late. Phil would have had an easy monster Dunk but he went out to Javarris for a three!? *Harris got a rebound outlet in traffic early and didn’t get his head up in time to see Dew streaking alone down the other end. *3 missed layups to start the game!?!?!
  • We still need a REAL backup PG (Coleman)
  • How come we don’t teach ARCH on shots? Wilderness, Coleman (only on FT’s) and Ian have a Butter-esque flat-ass shot.

Overall, I think we are meshing better and learning roles. When we shoot well we will be competitive but we are too inconsistent on D and from the perimeter to be a REAL threat. But we will have our moments…both good and bad.

I do see real improvment at least…and that’s encouraging.

3-0 in the 2008 season part deux…19 more wins to a respectable season!

That’s a pretty decent summary TR.

I will say for those that didn’t see it - our worst defensive breakdowns were when Lutz started shuffling in guys who dont play often. Some of those lineups seemed to cause us confusion on defense. We really let #44 torch us in about a 3 minute stretch where we basically didnt pick him up on defense. If it weren’t for him, we’d have buried these guys by 20.

They were nice competition though, just to keep us fresh. They played perhaps a bit too hard, and their wings are decent players. They rebounded the ball well, but they lacked a true post and their PG was as small as Dijuan (probably why Dijuan had a career day) and was less skilled.

BTW, Spotted at the game was KJ Sherrill. Saw him in the food court area at halftime grabbing a bite to eat. One of my friends is legit 6’4, and KJ was a good 2" taller. Athletic lookin kid. Can’t wait to see him play.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;371653]That’s a pretty decent summary TR.

I will say for those that didn’t see it - our worst defensive breakdowns were when Lutz started shuffling in guys who dont play often. Some of those lineups seemed to cause us confusion on defense. We really let #44 torch us in about a 3 minute stretch where we basically didnt pick him up on defense. [B]If it weren’t for him, we’d have buried these guys by 20.[/B]

They were nice competition though, just to keep us fresh. They played perhaps a bit too hard, and their wings are decent players. They rebounded the ball well, but they lacked a true post and their PG was as small as Dijuan (probably why Dijuan had a career day) and was less skilled.[/QUOTE]

Ummm… scoreboard?

this game killed our RPI...we were around 170, now we are at 198! :huh:

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_216_Men.html

It will drop again for the LIU game.

[QUOTE=9erken;371642]Glad we won this one handily. At times we looked pretty good, though the competition did not. It’s telling that our rpi dropped to 198 after this win. After we play Long Island, it’ll probably be over 200. Not that that matters anymore. :unhappy:

Harris played well aside from pushing it a few too many times. They were able to drive on us pretty easily, but we managed to block or alter a number of their shots after the drive. Jones has a nice looking jump shot, but I’d still like to see him go up strong more often.

We probably won’t know if we’ve really improved until the Maryland game.[/QUOTE]

I remember when our RPI did count for something.

#44 was lighting us up… In the post game Bobby was talking about it but my radio was breaking out. I thought I heard Bobby say that he would have tightend up on #44 but he wanted to see if the guys could handle it on there own? Anyone catch that with a clear feed? (if 1660 has a clear feed)

[QUOTE=thelew1014;371655]Ummm… scoreboard?[/QUOTE]

Typo. Meant 40.

Can we back up and start the season over? If so, we could be 9-1.

Although it was an easy win, it is great to see the team working the ball and playing together. Harris as an offensive threat provides our offense with an entirely new dimension. Jones hitting those 12 foot jumpers does not hurt.