YOUR best Niner team

I hope I spelled them all correct.
  1. Ray Gromlowicz
  2. Rusty Hargraves
  3. Scott Wissel
  4. Melvin Johnson
  5. Leroy Smith (whom I think made his HS team over Michael Jordan)

Coach - Mike Pratt

Yes, yes, and YES!! Now that team would be fun to watch.

Definitely some people showing their age here. Having Henry coming off the bench is ridiculous.

Colsen
Henry
Galen
Demarco
Cornbread

Bench is tough if I have to limit it but the following are definitely on there:

Demon
Diego
Kinch
Dinkins
Rodney
Eddie
Jarvis
Bookworm (sentimental pick to relieve Cedric)
Withers

Guys I really liked but didnā€™t make the cut:

Jobey
J.Z.
Kelvin Price
Trigger
Goldwire
Plavich
Cam

Despite being on many lists here, Jobey doesnā€™t make the cut for me simply because he couldnā€™t guard a wet rag. I love Leemire but heā€™d probably end up on my 4th team. Plavich likely walking on for when I need a halfcourt buzzer beater.

HC: Mullins
Assist: Wat

Iā€™m suprised everyone keeps throwing Cam on their list. I think he would be ā€˜close, but no cigarā€™ for my team.

Best college memory: Watching Cam play pick up after his senior season endedā€¦ completly high and knocking down a monster jam. My friend and I concluded that he should have played high that entire season.

[QUOTE=HP49er;275643]Massey and Kinch could shoot and bang the boards with the best of them and Cornbread was always money, especially in the big games. Would have loved to see those two play with a 3-pt line. [/QUOTE]
Agreed. And Iā€™m sure those of us from that era will agree Kinch and Maxwell are locks for this team, and Massey is also a very strong possibility.

That team was also fundamentally strong. They rebounded well, played solid defense, and made very few turnovers.

Some coaches considered our starters the best starting 5 in the country that year, and one of them (reliable Kevin King) used to be, and may still be, a regular in Halton.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;275671]Definitely some people showing their age here. Having Henry coming off the bench is ridiculous.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Hence the reason for the pre-Jeff Mullins team that I created.

ANY REFERENCE TO 49ers basketball history that downplays:

Henry Williams
DeMarco Johnson
Jeff Mullins

is a farce.

These 3 are, IMO, the most important names in Charlotte 49ers basketballā€¦to date.

A legit starting 5:

DeMarco Johnson
Henry Williams
Eddie Basden
Sean Colson
Cedric Maxwell

Of course, Iā€™m sure in Cedricā€™s mind, this school has yet to produce any player capable of being discussed in the same breath as him.

[QUOTE=go49ers;275672] My friend and I concluded that he should have played high that entire season.[/QUOTE]

Remember his senior year when we got crushed in the NCAA tournament?

Still think he should have played high every game?

[QUOTE=Powerbait;275676]Remember his senior year when we got crushed in the NCAA tournament?

Still think he should have played high every game?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Yes I do. I bet if he was stoned, we would have rocked our way into, AT LEAST, the Sweet 16.

ā€¦

PG - Melvin Watkins (smartest PG weā€™ve ever had)
SG - Henry Williams (Best 49er ever)
SF - Eddie Basden (surpassed Henry as my favorite player)
PF - Jarvis Lang (Great leaper and finisher)
C - Cedric Maxwell (Got to the hoop, got fouled, and MADE THE FTā€™S)

Bench:

G - Sean Colson
G - Chad Kinch
G - Jobey Thomas
F - Demarco Johnson
F - Lew Massey
F - Rodney White
C - Cam Stephens
C - Kelvin Price

There are a lot of other players who deserve mention, but thatā€™s my pick for the best.

[QUOTE=jcl49er;275671]Definitely some people showing their age here. Having Henry coming off the bench is ridiculous.
[/QUOTE]

I saw Henry play, loved watching him, and he is quite possibly the best Niner ever. With that said for MY Niner team, if I was the coach, would have Henry coming off the bench as instant offense and finishing the game on the court. I liked the idea of Jobey starting and just as the other team gets a little windedā€¦ BOOMā€¦ there is Henry. Game over.

His bench presence was more a coaching tactic for me than a reflection of his place on the list of Niner greats.

Starters:

C-DeMarco - Had every move in the book.
PF-Cornbread - How can you have a NBA Finals MVP not in your starting 5?
SF-Eddie Basden - Only Niner player I ever saw that controlled a game both offensively and defensively.
SG-Henry Williams - Could fill it up with anyone.
PG-Melvin Watkins - Slight lean over Colson as Melvin was the PG on the FF team.

Bench:

Galen Young - We get a lead, play Galen and Eddie together and the other team doesnā€™t score.
Sean Colson - Could drop dimes with the best of them.
Curits Withers - Anybody that goes 20 and 20 in one game can come off the bench to spell DeMarco.
Diego Guevara - As clutch a shooter as anyone in Niners history. Single-handedly started the rivalry with Cincinnati.
Jobey Thomas - See the 3, Be the 3.
Jarvis Lang - The poster of him walking away with the rim in his hand is one of the coolest Niner things Iā€™ve ever seen.
James Zimmerman - Every team needs ā€œglueā€ guys, people that did the little things to help a team win. JZ was always one of my favorites because he did whatever it took to win a game. Iā€™ll always remember his block on Steve Logan to end the Cincy game.

[B][U]Starters:[/U][/B]
Henry Williams
Cedric Maxwell
Demarco Johnson
Chad Kinch
Sean Colson

[U][B]Bench[/B][/U]:
Jarvis Lang
Rodney White
Melvin Watkins
Lew Massey
Byron Dinkins
Jobey Thomas
Diego Guevara
Eddie Basden
Curtis Withers
Keith Williams
Clinton Hinton
Demon Brown
Robert Earl Blue
Galen Young

Definitely some people showing their age here. Having Henry coming off the bench is ridiculous.

shocker

This is only with players from when I started watching the Niners more intently (1999 or so), with a couple of exceptions.

PG - Colson
SG - Jobey
SF - Basden
PF - DeMarco
C - Withers

Bench:
Zimmerman
Demon
Guevara
Plavich
KenKay
Clemmons
Jermaine Williams

My Niner Starting Five: (Didnt start following until my Senior year of High School when I chose Charlotte over Chapel Hill and State)

C DeMarco
F Withers
F White
G Basden
G Diego

Bench: Cam, Jobey, Plav, Zimmerman, Lee, Demon, Price

I find it surprising, there is no mention of Alexander, is he that hated?

DA was okay, but he tried to carry the team and he wasnā€™t capable.

[QUOTE=jrossp49er;275744]My Niner Starting Five: (Didnt start following until my Senior year of High School when I chose Charlotte over Chapel Hill and State)

C DeMarco
F Withers
F White
G Basden
G Diego

Bench: Cam, Jobey, Plav, Zimmerman, Lee, Demon, Price

I find it surprising, there is no mention of Alexander, is he that hated?[/QUOTE]

Any Niner all-star team I had wouldnā€™t have DA mentioned for it. Once he comes into the game, the team would start missing 3ā€™s and require the big guys to get offensive boards just for him to jack another up. DA would kill the chemistry and momentum on the team and should I mention fast breaks?

Having Henry coming off the bench is ridiculous.

Amen to that.

[QUOTE=Submarley734;275659]Now I will agree with you if we can both agree that with that starting line-up, those three are bench players.[/QUOTE]

Sure but I canā€™t bash on Chris Sager, he was my roommate (Well not the Chris Sager but a Chris Sager, who was probably better than that Chris Sager, and just for good measure, Chris Sager.)

[QUOTE=919R;275616]Henry Williams should be on EVERY all-Niners FIRST team PERIOD!!![/QUOTE]

agreeā€¦you donā€™t know the program or Henry for that matter if heā€™s not in your starting lineup. still #1 all time points