YOUR best Niner team

career average 14.9pts 8.8rebs is good enough to be in my starting 5.

From ā€˜the dubā€™ Curtis Withers!

If James Brown was ā€œthe hardest working man in show businessā€ then Bobby Kummer would have to be ā€œthe hardest working Niner ever.ā€ Bobby always left it all out on the floor, including his teeth!
I would definitely include Bobby on any starting five, just for hustle.
The other 4:
Lew Massey, Henry Williams, Byron Dinkins, and Basden.
Honorable mention: Cornbread, Jobey, Diego, Chad Kinch.
Biggest letdowns: Iti, Tyler, Grier, and Rodney White.
Biggest loser: Beasley
Biggest losses for Niner fans: Charles Hayworth and the Marquette semi-final game.

Henry Williams should be on EVERY all-Niners FIRST team PERIOD!!!

D.O.B.A.

What th-?

I swear I just saw Michael Buffer walk by.

PG Henry Williams
SG Demon Brown
SF Eddie Basden
PF Galen Young
C DeMarco Johnson (I know, I know, heā€™s really a PF)

Subs
PG Sean Colson (a poor manā€™s Gerrity?)
PG Roderick Howard (rediculous FT %, bring him in during the stretch to put the oppt. away)
SG Leemire Goldwire (That crossover.)
SG Diego Guevara (Whenever you hear about what a $@%^@#$ Hugo Chavez is, just think of Diego. You will then love Venezuelans)

SG Brendan Plavich (you never know when youā€™re going to end up needing a 30 foot jumper)
SF Cedric Broadhurst (rebounds baby. I had to pick someone no one else did. Besides, he would contribute to this dream team.)
F- Jarvis Lang (dunks, played much bigger than 6ā€™6")
F- Rodney White (Sometimes we forget. He was real damn good.)
PF Curtis Withers (Much better player when he isnā€™t the focal point of the team)
C Kelvin Price (Solid inside presense.)

Malru Dottin, and Jermain Parker would be on the practice squad

-Only people Iā€™ve seen play

PG: Sean Colson
SG: Galen Young
SF: Rodney White
PF: Demarco Johnson
C: Kelvin Price

Bench:
Diego Guevara
KenKay Jones
Charles Hayward
Jobey Thomas
James Zimmerman

Could add more, but donā€™t need anymore. No Eddie or Curtis: They couldnā€™t win a tournament game. No way am I gonna bump a Rodney or a JZ for that.

This would be one hell of a roster (All-time scoring ranks are in parentheses):

Melvin Watkins
Henry Williams COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]
Lew Massey COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]
DeMarco Johnson COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]
Cedric Maxwell COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]

Diego Guevara
Chad Kinch COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]
Eddie Basden
Jarvis Lang COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]
Rodney White

Sean Colson
Galen Young
Curt Withers COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]
Kelvin Price

Alternates:
Jobey Thomas COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]
Byron Dinkins COLOR=DarkGreen[/COLOR]
Leemire Goldwire

Clinton Hinton was the man. And that guy that played with Dinkins, Jerry West I think.

JEFF Westā€¦ I almost put him on my ā€œbenchā€ as well. Remember he hit the buzzer beating shot against BYU in the 1st round of the NCAA (1988) to send the game to OT. That was our 1st tourney game in 11 years, at the time! He was not flashy, but very solid! He and Dink made a very nice backcourt!

:49ers:

No love for T. Gardner?

bump

Some interesting teams here. Putting together a dream roster you realize how many talented ballplayers weā€™ve had here, when you have to leave guys off the list that you loved to see on the floor.

[QUOTE=77grad;275930]bump

Some interesting teams here. Putting together a dream roster you realize how many talented ballplayers weā€™ve had here, when you have to leave guys off the list that you loved to see on the floor.[/QUOTE]

My biggest challenge was looking at really building a team. It is easy to throw the best Niners ever on the floor, but really if you wanted a team you have to stop and think things through. Who can handle being a role player, who can come of the bench and not get their feelings hurt. That is why I took Lee over Demon, even though I am pretty positive Demon is the better player. I limited my team to players I have seen play, so that knocked out the 77 team. From that point I simply tried to build a team that had sound D, a few role players and a deep bench. Putting Henry as the 6th man was a reflection of a coaching tactic on my part. I really hated leaving a few guys off, but I knew I needed some scrappers. I really wanted to put Marlon Thomas on the team.

What is up with all the ā€œloveā€ for Marlon Thomas? He was a ā€œstreakyā€ player, AT BEST!

[QUOTE=919R;275990]What is up with all the ā€œloveā€ for Marlon Thomas? He was a ā€œstreakyā€ player, AT BEST![/QUOTE]

Hmm I think it was a 98 against Sincy he hit a BIG time 3 at the end of the game. That image sticks in my mind and really trumps what his normal production was. The Gaston Gazette the next day had a picture of him running back up the court after hitting the shot holding up 3 fingers with a sly smile. Pretty sweet really!

No love for T. Gardner?

You mean Tremaine Gardiner? I had forgotten about him. Solid player, hard worker, kind of like Zimmerman and Kevin King. Mr. Dependable, but not on my all-time list.

NWA, I know MT had his moments, but not NEARLY enough to be listed along side the Henry Williamsā€™ and Jarvis Langsā€™, etc. IN MY OPINION!

:smile:

PG - Carlos Williams
SG - Deā€™Angelo Williams
SF - Curtis Nash
PF - David Booker
C - Martin Iti

This is the team dreams are made ofā€¦

[QUOTE=77grad;276028]You mean Tremaine Gardiner? I had forgotten about him. Solid player, hard worker, kind of like Zimmerman and Kevin King. Mr. Dependable, but not on my all-time list.[/QUOTE]

Yeah. JZ being on so many peopleā€™s lists made me think of Gardiner. I figure he and JZ are pretty comparable in a fantasy bench.

Tremaine will always remain one of my top 5 favorite Niners but if I were creating a Niner dream team, he wouldnā€™t make the cut. He gave 120% every single time he stepped on the court and was clutch for us many times. But just too many guys to wear a Niner jersey would were better in the stat book. I usually see Tremaine once or twice a year at Niner games so he still supports the program. Havenā€™t seen him lately so not sure if heā€™s still living in Charlotte. Really nice guy.

This thread got me to thinkingā€¦ We could easily take our 3rd or even 4th team of all-time Niners and beat any other in-state non-acc teamā€™s 1st team of all-timers. Davidson is probably the only team that would come close to giving us competition because of Lefty Driesellā€™s teams.