Your current playlist

A couple of those tracks are older, but only the Wrens, Asobi Seksu and Blitzen Trapper are “obscure”. I dunno how to say this without sounding like a dick, but the amount and quality of independent label and sub-big label music is just enormous now. It dwarfs the stuff on the radio, both in quality and variety. I have the problem that a lot of really passionate music fans have in relating to other people - I care so much about music that I cannot comprehend saddling yourself with the cafeteria quality stuff on the radio. Some of it is okay, but if you don’t make an effort, you’re just missing out on so much… And I honestly think most fans will find “obscure” stuff that they love, maybe even more so than their old favorites.

The Wrens are one of those “no one listened to them when they put out their albums, but not they’re considered classics in their genre” bands (see Secaucas & The Meadowlands). I’ve liked them a little for a few years but for some reason that song stuck in my head one afternoon. Blitzen Trapper is trying to make any name for themselves. Asobi Seksu sounds a bit like Blonde Redhead - both are NYC bands with really lush guitar sound.

The other stuff is standard fair for anyone who listens to anything besides ClearChannel. Even Silversun Pickups are now “household names” in any big city. They’re the kind of bands radio used to play back in the early 90’s.

Sometimes is from “Loveless” and the soundtrack to Lost In Translation. Loveless is an indie rock classic. It’s a genre definer that a hundred bands have since tried to mimic. Kind of a Zepplin or Beatles album. Came out in '91.

The title track set the mood for me. I absolutely hated all the noodling. I’ll give it another try, but I’ll have to redownload a copy of it cause I erased it in disgust.

Yes, I like old White Stripes… and in a very conventional way. I like all of their more popular songs quite a bit.

Just re-read my post. Yep, I sound like a ******** know it all. Sorry.

Try a couple of those links and maybe I’ll redeem myself. Also, if any of you are looking for new music, toss out some stuff you like so I can get an idea of your taste and I’ll rattle off a couple suggestions, if you want. Also, if you’ve heard of a band and wanna know anything about them, I’ll be happy to fill you in. I’m kind of a really poor excuse for Matt Pinfield - the fat bald guy formerly on MTV - a walking encyclopedia of useless music references and trivia.

I think if I could do it all over again, I’d have studied to be a producer or just worked on being a critic. I enjoy it too much, I’m overly opinionated, and I have too big of a mouth. Apparently, I have the snob thing down pat too, though I didn’t realize it.

[QUOTE=NinerAdvocate;244214]Just re-read my post. Yep, I sound like a ******** know it all. Sorry.

Try a couple of those links and maybe I’ll redeem myself. Also, if any of you are looking for new music, toss out some stuff you like so I can get an idea of your taste and I’ll rattle off a couple suggestions, if you want. Also, if you’ve heard of a band and wanna know anything about them, I’ll be happy to fill you in. I’m kind of a really poor excuse for Matt Pinfield - the fat bald guy formerly on MTV - a walking encyclopedia of useless music references and trivia.

I think if I could do it all over again, I’d have studied to be a producer or just worked on being a critic. I enjoy it too much, I’m overly opinionated, and I have too big of a mouth. Apparently, I have the snob thing down pat too, though I didn’t realize it.[/QUOTE]

At least you recognize your cockiness. :slight_smile:

I used to be like that: had a Modest Mouse sticker on my car, then covered it up when they became mainstream. Now I spend so much time with films that I can’t keep up with the music scene.

[QUOTE=Sideshow;244216]At least you recognize your cockiness. :slight_smile:

I used to be like that: had a Modest Mouse sticker on my car, then covered it up when they became mainstream. Now I spend so much time with films that I can’t keep up with the music scene.[/QUOTE]

I hear ya. I can’t hold my own on films though. I think I’m just starting to appreciate them and not just watch them. I’ve got a lot to learn.

I sometimes can’t believe I have an accounting degree though. I’m just not wired that way.

Anyway, someone get this trainwreck back on topic. [I]Eagles Greatest Hits [/I]anyone? How about that chick who can’t pronounce [I]Umbrella[/I]?

my workout playlist:

all american rejects
breaking benjamin
buckcherry
distrubed
new linkin park
korn
foo fighters
ludacris

Icky Thump and the new Pharoahe Monch album has been getting a lot of play from me lately. New Order has been on constant rotation for a while now. Been listening to M.I.A. again in anticipation of her new album. And NA, I really dig that Asobi Seksu album, I played the hell out of it earlier this year, my favorite track is New Years. Anything that sounds remotely like My Bloody Valentine/Cocteau Twins gets a play from me.

Where do some of you hear of these bands, hardly any of the artists people have mentioned on this thread get radio airplay (of course I recognize Charlotte stations suck and play the same songs over and over). My music collection mostly consists of artists that have received radio airplay at some point in their career even if they don’t get airplay now such as Queensryche or Eric Johnson.

[URL=http://www.finetune.com/playlist/1382302][B][U]Here[/U][/B][/URL] is my playlist. It’s a mix of a lot of stuff. The site is Finetune. It’s a pretty sweet service. I have several playlists, but this is my favorite.

[QUOTE=CPA_Niner;244320]Where do some of you hear of these bands, hardly any of the artists people have mentioned on this thread get radio airplay (of course I recognize Charlotte stations suck and play the same songs over and over). My music collection mostly consists of artists that have received radio airplay at some point in their career even if they don’t get airplay now such as Queensryche or Eric Johnson.[/QUOTE]

Easy there big fella. If you aren’t careful, you’ll start another one of NA’s “cafeteria fed mainstream radio” rants (just kidding NA :wink:). Most of my stuff I find after recommendations from friends or something I have read online… and that is the main reason I started this thread. Sirius is also good for finding new artists if you can keep yourself from channel surfing (which I have a problem with).

I don’t buy into the whole “it isn’t cool to like mainstream music” thing, but there is a lot of good indie stuff out there… you just have to look for it. On the other hand, some of that stuff is “obscure” for a reason.

I haven’t heard the new Elliot Smith album yet, but I did give From a Basement on the Hill another listen last night. It is growing on me, so I might check out some of his other stuff.

Well, I think I found my playlist for a good week or two. [URL=http://www.nme.com/news/the-stone-roses/29111]Rhino records just announced a huge brit pop compilation[/URL]:

Disc 1
The Smiths -'How Soon Is Now?'
Cocteau Twins -'Lorelei’
Felt -'Primitive Painters’
Shop Assistants -'Somewhere In China’
The Mighty Lemon Drops -'My Biggest Thrill’
The Cure -'Just Like Heaven’
Echo & The Bunnymen -'Lips Like Sugar’
The Jesus And Mary Chain -'April Skies’
Spacemen 3 -‘Walkin’ With Jesus (Sound Of Confusion)'
The Primitives -'Crash’
The Wonder Stuff -'Unbearable’
The Stone Roses -'She Bangs The Drums’
The Charlatans UK -'The Only One I Know’
Happy Mondays -'Step On’
Primal Scream -‘Loaded’ [single version]
Inspiral Carpets -'This Is How It Feels’
The Trash Can Sinatras -'Obscurity Knocks’
The La’s -'There She Goes’
The Sundays -‘Here’s Where The Story Ends’

Disc 2
Ride -'Vapour Trail’
Pale Saints -'Sight Of You’
My Bloody Valentine -'Only Shallow’
Lush -'For Love’
The Telescopes -'Flying’
Chapterhouse -'Pearl’
Catherine Wheel -'I Want To Touch You’
Bleach -'Trip & Slide’
Curve -'Coast Is Clear’
Five Thirty -‘You’
Moose -‘This River Will Never Run Dry’
The Family Cat -’(Thought I’d Died) And Gone To Heaven’
The Dylans -’(Don’t Cut Me Down) Mary Quant In Blue’
Thousand Yard Stare -'0-0 A.E.T. (No Score After Extra Time)'
Ned’s Atomic Dustbin -'Grey Cell Green’
Birdland -'Shoot You Down’
Manic Street Preachers -'Stay Beautiful’
Teenage Fanclub -‘Star Sign’

Disc 3
Suede -'Metal Mickey’
Swervedriver -‘Duel’ [radio edit]
Eugenius -'Breakfast’
Superstar -'Barfly’
New Order -'Regret’
James -'Laid’
Nick Heyward -'Kite’
The Boo Radleys -'Lazarus’
Saint Etienne -'You’re In A Bad Way’
Stereolab -'Wow & Flutter’
Blur -'Tracy Jacks’
Oasis -'Live Forever’
Pulp -'Common People’
These Animal Men -'Speeed King’
Mega City Four -'Wallflower’
Echobelly -'Insomniac’
Gene -'Sleep Well Tonight’
Menswear -'Sleeping In’
Supergrass -'Alright’
Cast -'Alright’
Elastica -‘Stutter’

Disc 4
Dodgy -'In A Room’
Ash -'Girl From Mars’
Sleeper -'Sale Of The Century’
Marion -'Sleep’
Kula Shaker -'Tattva’
Ocean Colour Scene -'The Riverboat Song’
Babybird -'You’re Gorgeous’
The Bluetones -'Slight Return’
Super Furry Animals -'Something 4 The Weekend’
The Divine Comedy -'Something For The Weekend’
Cornershop -'Brimful Of Asha’
Silver Sun -'Service’
Spiritualized -'Ladies And Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space’
Mansun -'Wide Open Space’
Hurricane #1 -'Step Into My World’
The Verve -'Lucky Man’
Rialto -'Untouchable’
Catatonia -'Mulder And Scully’
Placebo -'You Don’t Care About Us’
Gay Dad -'Oh Jim

[QUOTE=CPA_Niner;244320]Where do some of you hear of these bands, hardly any of the artists people have mentioned on this thread get radio airplay (of course I recognize Charlotte stations suck and play the same songs over and over). My music collection mostly consists of artists that have received radio airplay at some point in their career even if they don’t get airplay now such as Queensryche or Eric Johnson.[/QUOTE]

Count your blessings. I get a scratchy 106.5 signal here in Greensboro because all the radio stations here suck. Why can I hear AC/DC and Skynard on 4 different stations here, but can’t hear Three Days Grace locally.

Tintin

in my 6disc changer right now…

pat mcgee band - shine
disk 2 of a string cheese incident live ashville, nc show from '04
disc 3 of the same
a mix cd full of independent singer songwriter type stuff
G.love’s new album Lemonade
a cd of the last accident hash podcast from 2 days ago

[QUOTE=Tintin;244377]Count your blessings. I get a scratchy 106.5 signal here in Greensboro because all the radio stations here suck. Why can I hear AC/DC and Skynard on 4 different stations here, but can’t hear Three Days Grace locally.

Tintin[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about? WUAG, man! Count your College radio blessings. Charlotte is so white collar boring in that respect.

Plus the fm talk station up there, WZTK, is 1000 times better than the AM talk down here (Keith Larson aside).

[QUOTE=CPA_Niner;244320]Where do some of you hear of these bands, hardly any of the artists people have mentioned on this thread get radio airplay (of course I recognize Charlotte stations suck and play the same songs over and over). [/QUOTE]

Mainstream media SUCKS-- it’s all about the internet baby.

www.pitchforkmedia.com

angels and airwaves, OAR, and jack johnson=ultimate summer music

and jimmy buffett and bob marley are just prety much understood to be played during the summer

My playlist changes alot…right now im listening to alot of Lil Wayne, Juelz Santana, Young Jeezy, ZZ Top, AC/DC.

I always have one consistent playlist that I only add songs to…my warm-up mix for before games.
CCR-Spirit in the Sky
a few songs off of young Jeezy’s Thug Motivation 102: The Inspiration(I highly recommend it)
a few Lil Wayne freestyles over old hit songs(ex. “Like Glue”, “Aww Naww”, etc.)
AC/DC-Highway to Hell, Dirty Deeds
ZZ Top-La Grange, Tush
Black Sabbath-Black Sabbath, War Pigs
Pantera-Cowboys From Hell, Walk
Metallica-Hit The Lights, The four Horsemen, Seek & Destroy, Metal Militia, Master of Puppets, …And Justice For all, One, Turn the Page
Jay-Z "Show Me What You Got"
A few tracks by The Game
a few tracks from The Black Chronic(if you dont know what it is, its Jay-Z rhyming over beats from Dr Dre’s Chroninc 2001, highly recommended)
CKY-flesh into gear
DJ Khaled-We Takin Over
Gwar-Meat Sandwich
Iron Maiden- Number of the beast, Run to the hills, 2 minutes to midnight
Jim Jones-we Fly high
Lamb of God-Ruin, 11th hour, redneck(soon to be added)
Mudvayne-Dig
Paerl Jam-Keep on rockin in the free world
Primus-Pudding Time, Spagetti western, the Pressman
Radiohead-Creep
Rage Against the Machine-Sleep now in the fire, guerilla radio, killing in the name of
Rammstein-Feuer Frei
Rich Boy- Throw some D’s
Rick Ross-Im Bad
Slipknot-Liberate
System of a down-IEAIAIO
The theme from Team America: World Police
TI-Top Back
White Zombie’s version of God of Thunder
USDA-Check

Good mix of different styles of music

Paging Dax. Whats the hottest Rap songs out were listening to. Educate these people.

The only time Charlotte has good radio is on 106.5 sunday nights 7-8:30(New Music and Indie Label show), every other station sucks, except NPR. That is why I am glad I got Sirius, Left of Center ftw.

Paging Dax. Whats the hottest Rap songs out were listening to. Educate these people.
Ak'sent - Zingy Akon - Presidential Birdman & Lil Wayne - Stuntin Like My Daddy Blak Jak - Ball Out Bobby Valentino - Anonymous Bohogan - Wuz Up Brick & Lace - Never Never Cassie - Long Way 2 Go Consequence - Callin' Me Create & Devastate - The Hit Man Crime Mob - Rock Yo Hips Crime Mob - We Some PLayaz Deux Process - In Deux Time Elliott Yamin - Wait For You Fabolous - Baby Don't Go Fabolous - Make Me Better Gnarls Barkley - Go Go Gadget Gospel Gym Class Heroes - Clothes Off! Huey - Pop, Lock, and Drop It Huey - Glad 2 b alive Hurricane Chris - Ay Bay Bay Kev Brown - Albany Lil Mama - Lipgloss Lloyd - You Lloyd - Get It Shawty LMNO - Better Marques Houston - Like This ¡Mayday! - Groundhog Day Mims - They Don't Wanna Play Mr. Capone-e - Don't Get It Twisted Ne-Yo - Because Of You Ne-Yo - Addicted Omarion - Icebox Omarion - Midnight Pharrell & The Yessirs - Young Girl Pretty Ricky - Push It Baby R. Kelly - Get Dirty R. Kelly - Ima Flirt R. Kelly - Rockstar Rich Boy - The Madness Rich Boy - What It Do Rich Boy - Throw Some D's Rihanna - Breakin' Dishes Rihanna - Umbrella Shop Boyz - Party Like A Rockstar Shop Boyz - They Like Me T. Pain - Bartender T. Pain - Buy U A Drank T.I. - Top Back Timbaland - One & Only Timbaland - Bounce Timbaland - Release tobyMac - Made To Love Usher - Shawty Usher - Whatever I Want Usher - She's Got The Part

And Pitchfork is a fantastic way to find out about new music.