12/22 ECU game

If you beat William & Mary, Gardner Webb, UCONN, and ODU the quality of those 4 wins should override other schools getting to 6. Hopefully the NCAA will put a quality win component into their bowl calculus for next year, then ECU can assume their rightful place and play UMASS in a bowl.

Is Wolfie making the argument that because the AAC is a good league, there is no shame in being the celler dweller? Are they trying to follow the Rutgers model?

1 Like

The average fan doesnā€™t know how good ODU, Gardner Webb, Uconn and Bill and Mary are

2 Likes

I havenā€™t said that, but for a 1st year coach taking over a program that was run in the dirt by the last bum and not even competitive last year I donā€™t think there is any shame in it THIS year. We had our ups and down sure but we had some games were we played great and flashed some really high upside.

We lost by 3 points to #17 Cincy and a TD to #25 SMU and all our best players are underclassmen. Ahlers was 13th in the nation in passing and heā€™s a sophmore, and our best RBā€™s and WRā€™s are 3 Freshman and 1 sophmore.

There is a lot to like moving forward with a coach thatā€™s been in 3 national title games. The guy beat South Carolina when he was at the Citadel and did things they had never done there and at JMU could have competed with many FBS with an FCS one. The AAC this year was a much tougher climb with one recruiting class, thatā€™s just a facts. Do you think he wonā€™t be successful here, guys won big everywhere heā€™s been.

All that matters to me is that you are happy.

BS-----Gardner Webb got their first, first down with about 4 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter against us.We had most starters out of the game at that pointā€¦they scored 3 times late in the second half against (literally) our 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers.

Iā€™m not happy with how things have gone in basketball, weā€™ve had a ton of key injuries but I think Dooley has lost us some bad games with his coaching regardless. That said you canā€™t look at the quality of underclassmen talent we have in either football and basketball right now with guys like Ahlers or Gardner and the resumes of either of the coaching staffs and write them off after a year or two IMO.

F-Gardner 6-7, 235ā€¦19.9ppg 8.6rpg 2.1apg 1.0spgā€¦Sophmore
F-Suggs 6-6, 200ā€¦11ppg, 3.7rpg 1.7apg,1.2spgā€¦Freshman
G-Newton 6-5, 190ā€¦9.7ppg, 3.3apg, 3.5rpg ā€¦Freshman
G-Jackson 6-2, 215ā€¦11ppg, 5.2rpg, 2.0apg 1.5spgā€¦Junior
G-Robinson 6-1, 190ā€¦10ppg, 2.3rpg, 2.3apg, 1.3spgā€¦Sophmore (stats are wrong on ESPN)

Coleman 7-0, 255 Frā€¦2.2ppg, 2.4rpgā€¦Freshman
Curtis 6-3, 195 Frā€¦3.1ppg 36% threeā€™sā€¦Freshman

Gardner 32.8 PER (15th in the nation).

For all the crap talked about our ā€œJUCOā€ rebuild we actually have a very good freshman class, if thatā€™s ā€œbuilding the right wayā€. With a player like Gardner and some good freshman thereā€™s at least a future hope these guys get better.

Yep, our only senior. He was awesome when he actually got a chance to play, unfortunately he never really made it back from his torn ACL injury in March and stayed in Dooleyā€™s doghouse constantly even after being one of only 2 players retained. I think we squandered his talent.

Got to ask what the heck is up with Supica, he seems to be getting similar treatment. Granted he never played this well previously but he certainly seems to be deserving of more time than your coach is giving him this year. Itā€™s not really defense either, you guys have given up less points with him on the court than Bamaba.

Hopefully, our starters will not play much against UMES and be relatively fresh to take on the juggernaut that is ECU basketball.

1 Like

So far we have beaten the good teams, and lost to the shitty ones, so I am concerned about this game.

These guys are worse than USC Upstate bad. We find a way to lose tomorrow night weā€™d be justified in letting the whole staff go. I think the last time we played a team this bad was the 2009 game against Winston-Salem State.

I think itsbrailleā€™s analysis shows most of our losses are to teams that are near the top of their league.

Not true. Weā€™ve actually performed right where the NET ranking say we should. Weā€™ve actually beaten the bad teams, split the average teams, and lost to better ones.

Sorry, I was being hyperbolic, because we should never lose to Apply, JMU, UNC-A or Upstate.

Actually given the complete destruction of our basketball program over the past 20 years losing to those schools is exactly what we should do and have done. I donā€™t think people quite understand that total destruction basketball has gone through at the hands of Judy Rose. Every bit of our success was built off of Jeff Mullins and she utterly gutted that. The road back is going to be long and losing to those schools will likely happen a few more times.

We didnā€™t lose to upstate

we beat them 83-47.

Silica is inconsistent. He has had some great games and then others where he is just sloppy with the ball and makes boneheaded mistakes. He was similar last year. I do agree that I think he deserves more minutes though. Bamba has outplayed him though. He has been a very pleasant surprise. I hate we only have him for this season.

We might lose again to Appy, et al, but we should never lose to teams like this. Period.