12/22 ECU game

Heā€™s been a lot better statistically. Similar counting statistics but in significantly less minutes and shots. 13.7 PER last year 25.2 this year and statistically your best per possession player. Only Martin has a higher net rating as well. Hopefully he only plays 15 minutes vs us, we are a poor rim protecting team.

It comes down to toughness. Supica probably prefers to be a 3. While Bamba seems content playing the 5.

From a pure scoring perspective Bamba has been almost automatic in close 2 range hitting 22 of 23 shots. Supica is 21 of 28. Far 2 Supica is 6-13 versus Bamba at 5 of 16. So both players have scored the same points, but Supica has shot more times. That tells me that Supica is less efficient. Just because he scores more in less minutes doesnā€™t make him better. He has also missed more shots in less minutes.

Then factor in the blocks 9 for Bamba and 4 for Supica along with how well Bamba passes from the top of the key and how well he plays defense

And donā€™t overlook the fun when the announcer says ā€œAMIDOUUU BAAAAAMBA!ā€

Or you could just look at True Shooting.

.669 Bamba
.661 Supica

Itā€™s basically the same but Supica has got to be more of a threat and hunting shots rather than just shooting open ones as they come to him. Supica averages 26.9 points vs 19.1 points per 100 possessions that Bamba does. Heā€™s also a much better rebounder. 18.3 vs 12.2 rebounds per 100 possessions, 4.3 assist Supica vs 3.3 assist per 100 for Bamba . Itā€™s not really close production wise and Supica has a higher defensive rating as well.

It might be a fluke looking at his past seasons but Iā€™d ride it harder than 15 minutes a game and prove it wasnā€™t. I think your coach is squandering as well as heā€™s playing. Hopefully he keeps forgetting heā€™s on the bench until after ECU.

Team flows better with Bamba. Simple as that. Supica has a ton of talent but struggles when competition steps up. He pads his numbers with lesser comp. Bamba is far more steady and tougher.

The eyeball test is differentā€¦and one thing that stats donā€™t monitor is boneheaded, careless turnovers per 100 possessions. Supica leads that category 10 foldā€¦and is probably why he doesnā€™t get more minutes.

Your team scores more points with Supica on the court. 112.0 points per 100 possessons vs 109 .6 with Bamba out there. They also give up a point less with Supica on the court too. Dumb turnovers dontā€™ seem to mater to much.

Supica has played 6 more minutes than Bamba over the last 3 games. He led more minutes in two of the 3 and in the last one against Valpo it was 19 to 18 Bamba. The game against SCUS was the same minutes and Supica had more minutes against Davidson. Coach sat Supica against Ga St. all but 5 minutes, but Bamba was 7-7 and had a double double that game. Supica had no stats that game.

If you have ever watched our team you would understand that these are two different style of players that we use accordingly. One is not better than the other, just different. We like them both to perform well tonight and on Sunday.

Supica does better against ā€œdoughierā€ bigs, like what UNCW had. His advantage is speed, not strength (heā€™s a notoriously weak finisher). So if ECU has trees down low like they normally do then Bamba should get the most minutes. I think they played together against Valpo for a few minutes, wouldnā€™t mind seeing that combo tonight against UMES for a while.

True. Very gritty, though

Well, not sure the respective games vs common foe UMES tell us anything as far as what to expect on Sunday in Greenville.

ECU led the Hawks 35-16 at the half. Won 71-57.

Niners led 31-13 at the half. Won 66-44.

Letā€™s beat ECU by 20 at their house and shut down any further debate.

3 Likes

I second this statement.

So who gets the Gardner defensive assignment. Weā€™ll start one of the 7 footers in all likely hood so does that mean you put 6-6, 210 Martin on him? Do you double? Zone? Gardner is slimmer this year and really has taken the next step.

20.1ppg
9.0rpg
2.1apg
.642 true shooting
32.1 PER (11th nationally)

http://insider.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/hollinger/statistics

Slow him down and you probably beat us. Itā€™s amazing to have one of the worst spacing teams in the nation like we got and to still do what he does. Most teams double him, the ones that havenā€™t really pay.

Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™ll mix it up and throw the pack-line at himā€¦

1 Like

Yep. Pack line give help on any drive and we always double in the post. Whoever is on offense doesnā€™t matter.

I think Martin was on him last year and held him to 11. If he can do that again I think we win. I feel like it will be a close game though.

He was 4-6 from the floor that game, he just missed more free throws than he normally does or it a solid game. Hes more aggressive this year grabbing rebounds and pushing himself. We usually get more foul calls at home and thatā€™s much of his game is getting to the line.