2011 Men's Hoops Coaching Carousel

prepare yourself for the gigantic amount of double standards about to happen.

the reports are that State will pay $3 million per year for a coach. All the observer reports will say that his salary will be whatever the base+travel expense+radio/tv promotion bonus+incentives while constantly saying that our football job only paid $175,000 which wasn’t even factually correct. Also, don’t hold your breath on any letters to the editors about how this is a ridiculous expenditure during these financial times.

Mark Fox could happen. Thinking Smith and Barnes are viable candidates smacks of the same kind of delusions State had about Bill Cowher - just because they’re from North Carolina, they should be chomping at the bit to go coach NC State. I don’t really get it, but hey, dream big.

To be fair, Cowher did play at NC State, and loves the school. I think it would be more akin to thinking Schottenheimer would be the coach because he has a home at Lake Norman (not sure if that is true but I heard he did).

Reading over there, most don’t consider Barnes in the realm of possibility. Seems their reach candidate would be Sean Miller (don’t see) and more realistic options are Turgeon, Brey, Fox, Grant, Mack, Gregg Marshall, etc.

If Tubby is interested in Arkansas, I can see him being interested in NCSU.

He turned it down last time, but that was when he was at Kentucky. I don’t think it will take a whole lot to get him out of Minnesota.

He turned it down last time, but that was when he was at Kentucky. I don’t think it will take a whole lot to get him out of Minnesota.[/quote]

I don’t remember NCSU going after Tubby last time. Or do you mean Arkansas?

He turned it down last time, but that was when he was at Kentucky. I don’t think it will take a whole lot to get him out of Minnesota.[/quote]

I don’t remember NCSU going after Tubby last time. Or do you mean Arkansas?[/quote]

NCSU did not go after him, a la Calipari, because Tubby indicated to them that he was not interested. That was when he was at UK, though, and at that time was also believed to be one of the highest paid coaches.

The Wolfpack never did get "close" with any other candidates, including Notre Dame coach Mike Brey, Golden State Warriors coach Mike Montgomery, Kentucky coach [b]Tubby Smith[/b] and Villanova coach Jay Wright, although all of those men (and many others) were contacted about the vacancy in some fashion.

http://www.wral.com/sports/blogpost/1102782/

As I said before about Tubby with the Ark position, the $ will probably be the deciding factor. If NCSU is really going to pay $3 mill, then Miller, Smith and Fox are interested.

If the pay is comparable I don’t see Miller or Fox leaving. Miller is in just his 2nd season at Arizona and already won the PAC10(reg season). NCSU probably hasn’t won the ACC in 30+ years.

For Fox, UGA has the second most profitable AD in the country. Only behind Rick Barnes’ Texas Longhorns. Georgia is very rich in talent. GT is in shambles. While traditionally GT has had the better program, UGA is “the” major university in the state. Texas, Ohio State and Florida all have had success in both football and basketball. There’s no reason to think UGA can’t do it too.

Barnes isn’t going anywhere.

Out of the “big name” guys Tubby might be the most realistic. He can move to better weather. Recruiting at Minnesota can’t be any easier/better than recruiting for NCSU.

[quote=“Normmm, post:48, topic:25118”]As I said before about Tubby with the Ark position, the $ will probably be the deciding factor. If NCSU is really going to pay $3 mill, then Miller, Smith and Fox are interested.

If the pay is comparable I don’t see Miller or Fox leaving. Miller is in just his 2nd season at Arizona and already won the PAC10(reg season). NCSU probably hasn’t won the ACC in 30+ years.

For Fox, UGA has the second most profitable AD in the country. Only behind Rick Barnes’ Texas Longhorns. Georgia is very rich in talent. GT is in shambles. While traditionally GT has had the better program, UGA is “the” major university in the state. Texas, Ohio State and Florida all have had success in both football and basketball. There’s no reason to think UGA can’t do it too.

Barnes isn’t going anywhere.

Out of the “big name” guys Tubby might be the most realistic. He can move to better weather. Recruiting at Minnesota can’t be any easier/better than recruiting for NCSU.[/quote]

It has been 20. Here is a pretty good article about the State job: http://www.accsports.com/teams/nc-state/2011031510075/how-good–bad–is-the-nc-state-hoops-job.php

It looks like the last title they actually won was 1985 reg season and 1983 tournament. So as far as the tournament goes I’d say closer to 30 than 20. Not to mention that their 83 national championship was as a Cinderella.

I’ve also argued that prior to Coach K, NCSU was a better program than Duke. But coach K has obviously changed all of that.

I had no problem with State wanting Sendek out. I think if your main rivals are consistently beating you, it’s reasonable to want to do better.

But as far as the current perception goes, NCSU needs a reality check. I don’t think their program(currently) is nearly as good as they think it is. The programs where they are considering grabbing coaches are better programs.

I agreed with that until Herb made two Sweet 16 runs and a 2nd round appearance in three year’s time. Once he did that, State had no business firing him. If he’s getting you that far with the talent he had, imagine what he could have done with a little better talent had he been given the chance to stay and continue recruiting with his coaching resume steadily improving every year. Once UNC-CH hired Roy, most of the State faithful got nervous and felt they suddenly had to have a “name” coach to help them recruit. Look where it got them: 25-55 in conference play over the last 5 seasons. Ouch!!

I agreed with that until Herb made two Sweet 16 runs and a 2nd round appearance in three year’s time. Once he did that, State had no business firing him. If he’s getting you that far with the talent he had, imagine what he could have done with a little better talent had he been given the chance to stay and continue recruiting with his coaching resume steadily improving every year. Once UNC-CH hired Roy, most of the State faithful got nervous and felt they suddenly had to have a “name” coach to help them recruit. Look where it got them: 25-55 in conference play over the last 5 seasons. Ouch!![/quote]

State only made one run to the sweet 16 under Sendek and that was on a last second shot by Hodge to upset heavily favored UConn after they beat us in the first round. Plus, State didn’t fire Sendek, he left. Sendek would probably have not been fired for a few more years if he kept bringing similar results, despite the fact that the fans were getting restless. Lowe also inherited a team with only 6 scholly players and a limited amount of time to recruit for his second season, so both of those were really washes as far as his ability to get anything done. I don’t disagree that it was the correct call to let Lowe go, but to be fair, that article paints a pretty good picture of the situation. I wish someone would take the time to do their research and post an article like that about us and our history for people to learn. Seems from their message board as if they are targeting Brey, Stevens, Mack, Turgeon, Fox, Marshall. Miller is on the board but I don’t think most consider him a real option, probably only more than the 5% who think Barnes is a possibility.

Also, I believe State won the conference in 1989 under V, after which they had to deal with the Witch Hunt by the Academic side of the college which turned out to be based on rumors that were completely false. Rough thing for any school to overcome.

That’s like saying State didn’t fire Lowe, he resigned.

That’s like saying State didn’t fire Lowe, he resigned.[/quote]

Lowe is not taking another job. Completely different. Sendek left NC State to take the job at ASU which means he was looking. He was not fired.

Lowe is not taking another job. Completely different. Sendek left NC State to take the job at ASU which means he was looking. He was not fired.[/quote]

You think either Sendek or Lowe actually had a choice?

Lowe is not taking another job. Completely different. Sendek left NC State to take the job at ASU which means he was looking. He was not fired.[/quote]

You think either Sendek or Lowe actually had a choice?[/quote]

Yes, I think Sendek had a choice. There was no way they were going to fire Sendek the year that he left had he not chosen to go. Just because a fanbase is restless doesn’t mean the AD would respond accordingly. I think if he had a few more years of mediocre results they would have shown him the door, but I don’t see Fowler firing Sendek that year.

Lowe is a completely different story. Ironically, most are sadder to see Lowe go, though I’m sure it stems from his life attachment to the school, not just his coaching tenure.

I agreed with that until Herb made two Sweet 16 runs and a 2nd round appearance in three year’s time. Once he did that, State had no business firing him. If he’s getting you that far with the talent he had, imagine what he could have done with a little better talent had he been given the chance to stay and continue recruiting with his coaching resume steadily improving every year. Once UNC-CH hired Roy, most of the State faithful got nervous and felt they suddenly had to have a “name” coach to help them recruit. Look where it got them: 25-55 in conference play over the last 5 seasons. Ouch!![/quote]

I kind of get that. But you’re comparing them to a program like our’s. That’s not who State is comparing. They’re comparing them to UNC-CH and Dook. How many ACC crowns did they win during that time. Zero. Then compare that to UNC-CH and Dook. Sendek had more than enough time to see what he could do against them.

The 25-55 is a little irrelevant. Like I said, Sendek had his chance. State needed to try something different. It didn’t work. Try again. The article linked earlier was interesting. Sendek and Lowe’s records were almost identical after their first 5 seasons.

Tom Sorensen on who State should go after:

[b]If N.C. State fans are anything like Charlotte fans, they'll push for somebody famous to replace Lowe.[/b] Instead of finding the next great coach, they'll push for somebody that already has achieved some success.

If I’m the Wolfpack, I do what they did last time - make a run at big-time A-list coaches. So what if they were turned down more than a sportswriter at last call. At least they tried.

One name to consider is Gregg Marshall, the former Winthrop coach now at Wichita State.

He’s not famous - yet.

Link: CharlotteObserver.com: Tom Talks

BTW, the printed version had “Charlotte 49er fans” instead of just Charlotte. Guess someone decided to edit out “49er” in the online version so it would be somewhat ambiguous.

[quote=“Run49er, post:58, topic:25118”]Tom Sorensen on who State should go after:

[b]If N.C. State fans are anything like Charlotte fans, they'll push for somebody famous to replace Lowe.[/b] Instead of finding the next great coach, they'll push for somebody that already has achieved some success.

If I’m the Wolfpack, I do what they did last time - make a run at big-time A-list coaches. So what if they were turned down more than a sportswriter at last call. At least they tried.

One name to consider is Gregg Marshall, the former Winthrop coach now at Wichita State.

He’s not famous - yet.

Link: CharlotteObserver.com: Tom Talks

BTW, the printed version had “Charlotte 49er fans” instead of just Charlotte. Guess someone decided to edit out “49er” in the online version so it would be somewhat ambiguous.[/quote]

Who wanted somebody famous for our basketball coach? A handful of people wanted Buzz Peterson, but that’s it. Most everybody else thought it to be one of two Assistant Coaches who are by no means famous, and we landed somebody that no one had pinned. Sorensen seems to be referencing our wanting of a known football coach in the middle of a basketball article. Apples and oranges Tom. Quit getting your sports confused or either using a handful of fans to represent our entire fanbase.

X, it’s probably referrencing the folks wanting Amato. One huge difference, Amato wasn’t coaching at any level of the sport, much less and better program.

Nice try, Tom.