2011 Men's Hoops Coaching Carousel

[quote=“Hal Jordan, post:160, topic:25118”]Is the Miami guy any good?[/quote]Haith was 23 games under .500 in ACC.

This was a preventative move by Haith. One bad season at Miami and he was going to get the axe. Better to get out now and extend your head coaching tenure than to get dumped sooner by staying. Can’t believe Missouri thought that he was the answer.

[quote=“UNCCTF, post:79, topic:25118”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:78, topic:25118”]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6249515

So now ESPN says Anderson to Arkansas.

I hate ESPN, they will report anything regardless of the source.[/quote]
I would love for Melvin Watkins to at least get considered for the Mizzou job.[/quote]

It looks like Melvin will be going to Arkansas with Anderson. I can’t find anything official though.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:163, topic:25118”][quote=“UNCCTF, post:79, topic:25118”][quote=“Charlotte2002, post:78, topic:25118”]http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=6249515

So now ESPN says Anderson to Arkansas.

I hate ESPN, they will report anything regardless of the source.[/quote]
I would love for Melvin Watkins to at least get considered for the Mizzou job.[/quote]

It looks like Melvin will be going to Arkansas with Anderson. I can’t find anything official though.[/quote]

Good deal! Hope it’s true.

This was a preventative move by Haith. One bad season at Miami and he was going to get the axe. Better to get out now and extend your head coaching tenure than to get dumped sooner by staying. Can’t believe Missouri thought that he was the answer.[/quote]

Both he and Leonard Hamilton confuse me. Granted Hamilton has had more success recently. But he was 56-63 at Ok St, 144-147 at Miami and 19-63 with the Washington Wizards. Yet somehow FSU considered him a “good” hire. In 9 seasons in the ACC with FSU, his average finish in the league is 6th.

This was a preventative move by Haith. One bad season at Miami and he was going to get the axe. Better to get out now and extend your head coaching tenure than to get dumped sooner by staying. Can’t believe Missouri thought that he was the answer.[/quote]

Both he and Leonard Hamilton confuse me. Granted Hamilton has had more success recently. But he was 56-63 at Ok St, 144-147 at Miami and 19-63 with the Washington Wizards. Yet somehow FSU considered him a “good” hire. In 9 seasons in the ACC with FSU, his average finish in the league is 6th.[/quote]

Hamilton seems to be a better recruiter, though. Before he left Miami for the Wizards, he had put together some good teams. He’s getting back to that point now at FSU. Look at his last 3 seasons at Miami and his last 3 seasons at FSU. Both segments are excellent. OSU did not wait on him long enough to produce the same results compared to Miami and FSU. He’s 70-31 over the last 3 seasons with 3 straight NCAA apearances and most recently a Sweet 16 run. I hope Major can get us to similar numbers over our next 3-4 seasons.

Both he and Leonard Hamilton confuse me. Granted Hamilton has had more success recently. But he was 56-63 at Ok St, 144-147 at Miami and 19-63 with the Washington Wizards. Yet somehow FSU considered him a “good” hire. In 9 seasons in the ACC with FSU, his average finish in the league is 6th.[/quote]

Bunny Colvin is a good coach.

He took on a rebuilding job at Oklahoma State, Miami and FSU. He took Miami and FSU to the Sweet 16, which is impressive for 2 schools that don’t give a damn about basketball.

They are longer than usual rebuilding projects, mainly due to the school not caring about basketball enough so either he gets a longer leash or its just that hard of a job to do.

Smart staying at VCU:

http://boards.caazone.com/showthread.php?t=105809&page=8
http://northcarolinastate.scout.com/2/1061440.html

Bunny Colvin is a good coach.

He took on a rebuilding job at Oklahoma State, Miami and FSU. He took Miami and FSU to the Sweet 16, which is impressive for 2 schools that don’t give a damn about basketball.

They are longer than usual rebuilding projects, mainly due to the school not caring about basketball enough so either he gets a longer leash or its just that hard of a job to do.[/quote]

Ha! He does look like Bunny.

It’s hard to argue with his relative recent success. But there were 15 or so seasons before that. Including this year, he’s only gotten out of the first round 3 times, in 18 seasons. He’s only made the NCAA 6 times and only has 1 conference title. Granted 2 of the 3 times he got past the first round he made Sweet 16 runs. But the success isn’t all that much different than we’ve had at Charlotte.

Just seems he has been given a longer leash than the average coach, for whatever reason. I don’t buy the football school logic. Donovan got quick success at Florida. Sampson at Oklahoma. Matta at OSU. Fisher at Michigan. Barnes at Texas.

Can someone please provide a list of all the coaches who have turned down NC State in their current coach search? I’m sure it isn’t as hilariously long as it will be in a few weeks, but I’m curious as to what names have officially turned them down.

This must be a sewer job for a coach. This is the same thing that happen when they hired Lowe 5 yrs ago. They did not set their sights as high this time, but they still cannot even get a VCU 33 yr old coach. You would think he would jump at a chance to coach in the ACC, but I do not think the ACC is to coaches what it was several years ago when they would give up their first born for a chance.

It is interesting that coaches are turning down big money to stay at places that they enjoy verus the big money.

ESPN just reported that VCU increase the pay for their coach from $425k to $1.2M. We may never even be able to get close to that number. It would be interest to see how VCU come up with that type of money.

im sure we could if we had to…or if we made some money froim a few tournery appearences

We get by fairly cheap but that’s cause we can, so long as we’re not getting past the first round (when we get there of course).

Apparently Marshall staying put…

http://aboverim.blogspot.com/2011/04/wichita-states-marshall-to-make-special.html

Three more openings filled:

Fairfield hired Sydney Johnson, Head Coach at Princeton.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14901334/fairfield-hires-away-coach-johnson-from-princeton

Towson hired Pitt Assistant Coach Pat Skerry as their new Head Coach.

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/26283066/28267390

Utah has hired New Jersey Nets Assistant Coach Larry Krystkowiak to fill their Head Coach vacancy.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14896419/utah-hires-former-nba-montana-coach-krystkowiak

the known ones:
Miller
Cronin
Smart
Marshall

Don’t know why everyone is getting upset about this though, they are only at the 3 week mark. That is about the halfway point for Rose/Dubois to find the perfect assistant coach to replace their head coach.

ID, we hadn’t been turned down publicly that many times… Apples vs Oranges :slight_smile:

We played the game with Mike Hopkins @ Syracuse and got our second choice. It would have been nice to have it play out faster, but I don’t get the criticism. We were not embarassed, we interviewed all of the candidates that we wanted to talk to, and we got a coach with the background we were looking for.

If we had hired Hopkins, it would have been over quickly. Blame Boeheim & Syracuse, not our administration.

We THINK we got our second choice. We have no idea how many people we reached out to and were denied. The biggest difference here is we were looking for a coach under the radar, which means things were going to be kept quiet. The most high profile guy we tried to get was Hopkins and we all knew what happened. We have no idea what else went on behind close doors. Judy and them just did a better job of keeping our search for lesser known coaches quiet. State is looking for a “hot” coach or a name coach which invites more media and attention.