2015 Baseball Season Thread

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:40, topic:29423”][quote=“ImfromClayton, post:39, topic:29423”][quote=“49r9r, post:37, topic:29423”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:35, topic:29423”][quote=“49r9r, post:34, topic:29423”][quote=“earlyniner, post:33, topic:29423”][quote=“919R, post:31, topic:29423”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:30, topic:29423”]2-1 victory over UNCG today. Niners faced SoCon preseason Pitcher of the Year on the mound for UNCG. Our offense is still struggling but did enough to win. Pitching continues to be dominant. Prochanska with 10 Ks, Trevor Gay and Logan Sherer solid in relief.
I was prepared to come away from this weekend 0-3, so I’m pleasantly surprised with these 2 wins.[/quote]Me too! This is fun.[/quote]

be even more fun if we beat unc-r tomorrow! go Niners!!![/quote]

Yes, it is fun. It looks like we may exceed expectations in baseball this year.[/quote]
We need to get as many wins as we can this weekend. The next couple of weekends are going to be very tough with Rice and FIU.[/quote]

Put me on record as thinking we do NOT get swept by Rice.[/quote]

You are a braver man than I. I think we are better than I thought we would be, especially on the bump, but there friday and saturday starter are all americans.[/quote]

2 All American starters and one of the best offensive teams in the country. Meanwhile we will have every one of our starting pitchers making their 1st C-USA start.[/quote]
Sounds like we’ve got 'em right where we want 'em. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“919R, post:41, topic:29423”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:40, topic:29423”][quote=“ImfromClayton, post:39, topic:29423”][quote=“49r9r, post:37, topic:29423”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:35, topic:29423”][quote=“49r9r, post:34, topic:29423”][quote=“earlyniner, post:33, topic:29423”][quote=“919R, post:31, topic:29423”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:30, topic:29423”]2-1 victory over UNCG today. Niners faced SoCon preseason Pitcher of the Year on the mound for UNCG. Our offense is still struggling but did enough to win. Pitching continues to be dominant. Prochanska with 10 Ks, Trevor Gay and Logan Sherer solid in relief.
I was prepared to come away from this weekend 0-3, so I’m pleasantly surprised with these 2 wins.[/quote]Me too! This is fun.[/quote]

be even more fun if we beat unc-r tomorrow! go Niners!!![/quote]

Yes, it is fun. It looks like we may exceed expectations in baseball this year.[/quote]
We need to get as many wins as we can this weekend. The next couple of weekends are going to be very tough with Rice and FIU.[/quote]

Put me on record as thinking we do NOT get swept by Rice.[/quote]

You are a braver man than I. I think we are better than I thought we would be, especially on the bump, but there friday and saturday starter are all americans.[/quote]

2 All American starters and one of the best offensive teams in the country. Meanwhile we will have every one of our starting pitchers making their 1st C-USA start.[/quote]
Sounds like we’ve got 'em right where we want 'em. :p[/quote]

We sure do. They will come to town way too over-confident.

Today’s game against A&T has been moved to Wednesday and will be played at 1:00.

Who’s up for a little tailgating before Sat’s game?

Sounds good to me.

Saturday, March 7 - 2pm Hoops and Hardball Special - [b]Show your Men's Basketball ticket to get FREE admisison to the baseball game[/b]

This is a great chance for those of you who are going to the basketball game to come watch the Niners take on a Top 10 Nationally ranked team. We don’t get them on campus very often. Rice will have several guys drafted this year.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:46, topic:29423”]

Saturday, March 7 - 2pm
Hoops and Hardball Special - Show your Men’s Basketball ticket to get FREE admisison to the baseball game

This is a great chance for those of you who are going to the basketball game to come watch the Niners take on a Top 10 Nationally ranked team. We don’t get them on campus very often. Rice will have several guys drafted this year.[/quote]

Yes indeed. Saturday is supposed to be sunny and pleasant. It will be a great day to get outside. And for those thinking we have no chance… we beat Tulane when they came to town ranked #2 in the country at the end of our CUSA-1 era.

clt says down with gluten!

Go niners,

[quote=“cltniners, post:48, topic:29423”]clt says down with gluten!

Go niners,[/quote]

Ummmmm

Niners shut out A&T today 6-0. Offense finally showed a little life. Netzer with 2 hits and 3 RBI, Reynolds, Gallello, and Logan each with an RBI.

Pitching not quite as good though. Gave up 11 or 12 hits to A&T. :frowning:

We head into this weekend’s series with Rice with a 4-2 record and are undefeated against ACC schools.

:slight_smile:

WEEKEND PROBABLE STARTERS

FRI: LHP Sean Geoghegan (1-0, 0.00) vs. RHP Kevin McCanna (1-1, 2.81)
SAT: LHP J.D. Prochaska (1-0, 0.00) vs. LHP Blake Fox (1-0, 3.57)
SUN: TBA vs. TBA

Rice (8-6), a unanimous pick to repeat this season, comes into Conference USA play after preparing with a 14-game non-conference schedule that includes Texas, Arizona, Stanford and most recently, #1 TCU. The Horned Frogs jumped on the Owls quickly with two in the first to set the tone en route to a 3-1 win. John Clay Reeves, Connor Tekyl and Hunter Kopycinski each collected two of Rice’s nine hits in the loss.

Reeves was selected as the preseason Player of the Year as voted on by the league’s head coaches. Saturday’s probable starter Blake Fox was also selected as Pitcher of the Year. Closer Matt Ditman was also named to the preseason all-conference team as he and both Fox were selected as NCBWA preseason all-Americans. Fox is currently undefeated in his collegiate career entering the weekend. The junior southpaw is 19-0 all-time in NCAA action.

Kirby Taylor paces the Rice offense hitting .396 through 14 games while Reeves follows hitting .386. The Owls have an offense with five guys all hitting over .300 with at-least 40 at-bats this season. Rice is currently hitting .321 as a team and posting a 2.34 ERA as a staff.

“Rice is an elite level program on all levels,” finished Hibbs. “Their roster is filled with MLB caliber talent. Coach Graham and his staff do an outstanding job. They have one of the top facilities in the country and play a tremendous non-conference schedule. They have the capability to win a National Championship year in and year out.”

http://www.charlotte49ers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=23200&ATCLID=209928018

So, he’s saying we have a chance.
:smiley:

We might see this guy a the Hayes this weekend. His son is a reliever for Rice.

We lost 4-2 to the #10 team in the nation and Hibbs seemed really unhappy about it in his post game interview.

I like that about him.

Rice has some hosses. I’m really happy to see baseball in CUSA. We could be nationally ranked in a couple of years.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:55, topic:29423”]We might see this guy a the Hayes this weekend. His son is a reliever for Rice.

[/quote] That guy looks vaguely familiar. ;D

elliot spitzer?

[quote=“4ever niner, post:56, topic:29423”]We lost 4-2 to the #10 team in the nation and Hibbs seemed really unhappy about it in his post game interview.

I like that about him.

Rice has some hosses. I’m really happy to see baseball in CUSA. We could be nationally ranked in a couple of years.[/quote]

He’s right. We had some great opportunities that we have to capitalize on if we want to beat a team like Rice. We may not get those chances again this weekend.

Not much more you can ask for from the pitching. The offense needs to come out of hibernation soon.

I’ll be out tailgating between 11:30-12 tomorrow.