2015 Baseball Season Thread

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:59, topic:29423”][quote=“4ever niner, post:56, topic:29423”]We lost 4-2 to the #10 team in the nation and Hibbs seemed really unhappy about it in his post game interview.

I like that about him.

Rice has some hosses. I’m really happy to see baseball in CUSA. We could be nationally ranked in a couple of years.[/quote]

He’s right. We had some great opportunities that we have to capitalize on if we want to beat a team like Rice. We may not get those chances again this weekend.

Not much more you can ask for from the pitching. The offense needs to come out of hibernation soon.[/quote]

We left a lot of runners stranded in scoring position. We had runners at 2nd and 3rd more than once without scoring a run.

The good news… We are young and talented.

fixed.

See you out there.

Lost 10-3 today. Gonna have to play better if you want to compete with a team like Rice. We had one bad inning where we fell apart, but played fairly well the rest of the game.

Blew a 3-1 lead in the 8th today and lost 6-3. So, Rice got the sweep. We really looked good all weekend though. Just not QUITE there. Very competitive though.

[quote=“919R, post:65, topic:29423”]Blew a 3-1 lead in the 8th today and lost 6-3. So, Rice got the sweep. We really looked good all weekend though. Just not QUITE there. Very competitive though.[/quote] Home plate umpire also blew today. Neither side appreciated his performance.

[quote=“919R, post:65, topic:29423”]Blew a 3-1 lead in the 8th today and lost 6-3. So, Rice got the sweep. We really looked good all weekend though. Just not QUITE there. Very competitive though.[/quote]shame. Thanks for the update. Glad to hear we don’t look bad though

The botched call on the Rice runner at 1st base hurt, but falling apart after that call is what seemed to do us in. We were up 3-1 in the 8th inning when the botched call happened. Nothing seemed the same after that.

I was disappointed in the Rice fans all weekend. I expected a strong turnout from them (like Tulane used to have) and I expected them to be somewhat classy and respectable like our fans. Instead, they were the opposite. They were low in numbers and some were pretty obnoxious.

Going into this series, I was wondering if our pitching was for real after the great start. It turns out we held our own against a really good offensive team. Offense was better against some of the best pitchers in the conference. Still struggling though. I’m excited to watch the team grow over the season.

The conference didn’t do us any favors in scheduling. Another ranked team, FAU comes here next weekend.

[quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:69, topic:29423”]Going into this series, I was wondering if our pitching was for real after the great start. It turns out we held our own against a really good offensive team. Offense was better against some of the best pitchers in the conference. Still struggling though. I’m excited to watch the team grow over the season.

The conference didn’t do us any favors in scheduling. Another ranked team, FAU comes here next weekend.[/quote] I agree about the scheduling. I’d much rather get those teams at the tail end of the our conference schedule after our rookie players get some more practice.
On the other hand, as thin as we are, a couple of injuries here and there and we may be weaker at the end.

[quote=“4ever niner, post:70, topic:29423”][quote=“Mr. Bojangles, post:69, topic:29423”]Going into this series, I was wondering if our pitching was for real after the great start. It turns out we held our own against a really good offensive team. Offense was better against some of the best pitchers in the conference. Still struggling though. I’m excited to watch the team grow over the season.

The conference didn’t do us any favors in scheduling. Another ranked team, FAU comes here next weekend.[/quote] I agree about the scheduling. I’d much rather get those teams at the tail end of the our conference schedule after our rookie players get some more practice.
On the other hand, as thin as we are, a couple of injuries here and there and we may be weaker at the end.[/quote]

Yesterday stings. That game was there for the taking. Still, there are plenty of positives to take out of the weekend. The starting pitching is a pleasant surprise, but I’m not sure how deep the pen is right now. The bats are showing some life, but we’ve got to take advantage when guys are in scoring position. I like what we’re seeing, but as you say, an injury or two could really hurt us.

After 9 games we can start to see what this team will look like this year. Here is a break down of where we are after 9 games:

PITCHER:
Sean Geoghegan rSO, LHP- 1st year starter 1-1, 1.02 ERA
J.D. Prochaska rSO, LHP- 1st year of D1, 1-1, 1.65 ERA
Josh Maciejewski FR, LHP- 1st year of D1, 1-0, 1.35 ERA

Starting pitching has been great over 9 games. Walks are down Ks are up. All 3 starters are under 2 with their ERA. As the season goes on they will hopefully start getting a little bit deeper into games.

Bullpen has been hit or miss. Logan Sherer has 3 saves as the closer in 4 appearances. The problem this weekend was bridging the gap between our starter and Logan in the 9th. He didn’t even see the mound this weekend. We didn’t pitch that poorly out of the pen, we just had a couple of blow-up innings. Hopefully our starters can start getting a little further into the game and we will figure out the right combo out of the bullpen as the season goes.

CATCHER:
Nick Daddio rSO- .208, RS last year with an injury, but looks much improved from his Freshman year. He has a great opportunity to get plenty of PT this season. Probably would have split time with SR Pat Raley coming into this year, but Raley is out for a few weeks with a wrist injury. Daddio is the better offensive catcher, but I think that Raley would be better defensively. Daddio has been pretty solid defensively and has thrown out 2 of 9 runners attempting to steal. Our current back-up catcher appears to be FR Hunter Jones (.111) who was recruited as an infielder.

FIRST BASE:
Logan Sherer SO- .138, 2 RBI, Logan is struggling this season. He’s the best power hitter on the roster and we really need him to start getting it going. Rice walked the bases loaded with him on-deck on Friday. He then grounded the 1st pitch to the SS to end our potential rally. Again, we REALLY need him to start hitting and be a threat in the middle of our order.
FR Alex Reynolds has come in to play 1B when Logan has pitched this year. Reynolds (.273, 2 2B) has started 3 games from the DH spot and is currently second on the team in BA.

SECOND BASE:
T.J. Nichting SO- .242, 6 R, 4 2B, TJ has been one of our better hitters this season and has batted in the 3 spot in all 9 games. Leads the team in Runs and Doubles. He has played every inning at 2B for the team this year. One of the few base stealing threats we have.

THIRD BASE:
Derek Gallello SR- .243, 3 R, 4 RBI, Gallello has been one of the leading run producers so far this season from the lead-off spot. He has a little above average speed and is one of the few base stealing threats we have.

SHORTSTOP:
Luke Gibbs rSO- .067, Gibbs transferred in from a JUCO but RS his 1st year at Ole Miss. I had high hopes for him coming into the year and apparently the staff did too batting him in the #2 spot. I had hoped to see a little more offense from him but he has struggled and has been moved to the bottom of the line-up. He has been fairly solid defensively up the middle, but he does have 4 errors on the season. I am not sure what other options we have defensively at SS, but we may find out soon.

LEFT FIELD:
Brett Netzer FR- .387, 5 R, 2 3B, 5 RBI, 2 SB, Netzer has been our best player offensively thus far leading the team in AVE, H, 3B, RBI, and SB. He has been productive from the 5th spot in the order and has a pretty good arm from the OF. If he continues this level of play he should land on the all-Freshman team.

CENTER FIELD:
Zach Jarrett SO- .167, 2 2B, 3 RBI, Like Sherer, Zach has struggled this year at the plate batting mostly in the 6th spot in the line-up. He’s probably more of a corner outfielder defensively but he has played well in center for most of the season. Eric Eason (SO .250, 1 RBI) has recently started 3 games in CF, moving Jarrett over to RF. Eason provides a little more speed in the field and in the line-up.

RIGHT FIELD:
Brad Elwood SR- .231, 3 2B, 2 RBI, Elwood started off slowly at the plate but picked it up this weekend batting .400 against Rice pitching. He also leads the team with 6 walks. Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come. Started 6 games in RF and 3 at DH. He moved to DH when Eason is playing CF and Jarrett is playing RF.

DESIGNATED HITTER:
Brad Elwood, Alex Reynolds, Hunter Jones, and Eddie Hull (.200, RBI) have seen time as the DH this season. The position still seems pretty fluid as the coaching staff continues to tweak the line-up.

all pitch, no hit thus far…

Even in a sweep, they accounted themselves well vs. Rice…

[quote=“s9er, post:73, topic:29423”]all pitch, no hit thus far…

Even in a sweep, they accounted themselves well vs. Rice…[/quote]

We must sacrifice rum and cigars to Jobu. Jobu come, make bats not afraid.

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:74, topic:29423”][quote=“s9er, post:73, topic:29423”]all pitch, no hit thus far…

We must sacrifice rum and cigars to Jobu. Jobu come, make bats not afraid.[/quote]Pretty sure ChevEE has some live chickens at his house…

[quote=“49erAlumnus, post:74, topic:29423”][quote=“s9er, post:73, topic:29423”]all pitch, no hit thus far…

We must sacrifice rum and cigars to Jobu. Jobu come, make bats not afraid.[/quote]

May need more than Jobu to help the fellow batting 9th for the hometeam this past weekend

Coach Hibbs on 1660am tonight.

I heard today that the hazing investigation is still on going and I was told that more is coming out soon.

Over 4000 tickets sold so far for the game uptown vs NC State.

Over 4000 tickets sold so far for the game uptown vs NC State.[/quote]
That sounds pretty good. BB&T Ballpark holds 10,200.