2020-21 C-USA Basketball

Me as well. And why would they name both division winners champs??

This makes absolutely no sense. Reminds me of the stupid bonus play crap they tried for 2 years.

This is the worst G5 conference. We have to find a way out.

I donā€™t really understand what divisional seeding means. At first I thought maybe it meant an NBA or NFL style playoff for East vs West. But then it says cross divisional games will be played in the first round. Thatā€™s confusing.

If it were a cost saving measure, then playing UTEP and UTSA donā€™t make any sense. Again, hmmā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

Teams will be seeded 1-7 in the east and 1-7 in the west divisions based on conference winning percentages at the end of regular season. Iā€™m guessing the number 1 seed in each division gets a 1st round bye in CUSA tournament. Then the rest of 1st round would be #2E vs #7W; #3E vs #6W; #4E vs #5W;#5E vs #4W; #6E vs #3W and #7E vs #2W. Thatā€™s just an educated guess.

Then again 6 games in the 1st round would be a stretch.So maybe top 2 teams in each division get 1st round byes. 7th place teams in each division do not make the tournament. Then 1st round game are #3E vs #6W; #4E vs #5W; #5E vs #4W and #6E vs #3W. Then the four teams that win the 1st round games pair up against the four teams that got 1st round byes in the quarterfinals. Again just a guess.

I think you are pretty close there. Could end up more like the NFL system.

1 Like

First weekend of league play is in the books (for the most part) and Rice is the lone 2-0 team.

https://conferenceusa.com/standings.aspx?standings=101

C-USA Players of the Week - Jan 4th

Congrats to Jahmir on another conference player of the week award! :clap:

Co-POTW: JAHMIR YOUNG, CHARLOTTE (2nd award)

Co-POTW: Travis Evee, Rice

FOTW: Jaron Pierre Jr., Southern Miss (2nd award)

2 Likes

Bassey #26 on this list:

I wasnā€™t that impressed watching him in our games. I heard he was a potential top 10 pick. Maybe heā€™ll look better in the nba. He has the size but just looked a little slow. Injury related? Idk.

We alternately ran there different guys at him and he was not at full strength. That said, Iā€™d be less than enthusiastic about drafting him because he seems to be injured quite a bit and an NBA schedule will only exacerbate that tendency. Not sold on his basketball IQ, but he has quite the athletic ability.

I agree. If heā€™s having issues within a college schedule staying healthy, you gotta feel heā€™s gonna spend a lot of time injured at eh NBA level.

Good olā€™ NCAA:

1 Like

Second weekend of conference play in the books. ODU leads East at 3-1, with Rice topping the West, also at 3-1. UAB only undefeated team, albeit at 2-0.

C-USA Players of the Week - Jan 11th

POTW: Charles Bassey, WKU (4th award)

FOTW: Rubin Jones, North Texas

Third weekend of conference games have been completed. ODU and WKU lead the East at 4-2 in league play. In the West, North Texas and UAB are 3-1, while LA Tech and Rice are also 4-2.