2021-22 MBB - UMES @ Charlotte, 12/20 7:00 PM CUSA.tv

I want us back in the top 75 on a regular basis.

Iā€™m not going to shit all over a win that ended up being decisive though. I was frustrated at the scoring droughts. I think a good team would have weathered that run by UMES by connecting on a couple of clutch shots and deflating their energy. There is still room for improvement.

2 Likes

Letā€™s be real, itā€™s a .500 program, on the road, that has NEVER been to the NCAA tournament. They are a bad, bad program. Good teams donā€™t let those teams hang within 2 points through 75% of the game. They just donā€™t. The bar is so low now itā€™s covered in a mound of dirt.

The other thing is, the games we have won, we have won IN SPITE of Sanchez, not because of him. We are in the bottom 20% of all teams in defense on KenPom. #289. This is supposed to be our signature element. Itā€™s literally all our ā€œcoachā€ ever talks about. Whatever progress we make this season clearly isnā€™t at his direction, itā€™s due to players that are hustling and making things happen in spite of an atrocious, ineffective scheme.

Less than 1000 it appeared to me. 6 Gold Dusters

Are you saying we should be rooting for us to lose? I certainly want to be better then a top 150 team and for the record, Sanchez clearly has not done enough at this point to justify being brought back next season. I am glad we won last night and happy with the performance in the second half.

1 Like

FWIW, UConn (NET #21) beat UMES by 9 and Liberty (#128) was 12 pts better than the Hawks in respective home wins.

2 Likes

Nah youā€™re right, Iā€™d rather drag the misery out as long as possible. People said I was a terrible fan for bailing on Major and hoping he lost out so we could move on, and frankly he did way more here than Sanchez has. Youā€™ve got to identify when youā€™ve made a bad decision and move on from it. So no, I donā€™t want Sanchez to squeak out enough wins to call it progress and have him stick around another year.

If that means hoping we donā€™t do one well for one season, for the greater good of the program overall, then thatā€™s where I am. I know many of you wonā€™t understand.

I care more about Niners sports -by far- than any other sports. Basketball far and away before anything else. It isnā€™t coming from a place of cynicism, itā€™s coming from a place of analysis. There is nothing to indicate Sanchez can get us to where we want to be, so why even hope he has the opportunity to continue to string us along?

2 Likes

Overall a lot of positives versus negatives in the games, regardless what most of the posters would have you believe.
Won going away after emotions loss to Wake
Worked a new player into the rotation. He looks to be a dawg as well
Got on the boards well in second half
Had a scoring drought (all teams have them) but overcame it. Missed several wide open shotsā€¦happens
Young scored efficiently
Trapp had 12 boards

Not perfect but a solid win. Take it and go beat Western.

2 Likes

Jallow looked great. That dude is a physical beast. Looks like a football player keeping in shape playing basketball, lol.

As he gets his wind we will see less threadgill.

Garcia must be in the dog house but he needs to rally. We need him. Heā€™s got the talent. He needs to get intense and get stuck into the system so heā€™s not making so many mistakes.

Francois is a trier and very strong. Seems a bit uncoordinated but he may just be rusty. I would like to see him get a couple minutes a half just to knock the rust off and keep him engaged and give Khalifa some rest.

The offense overall looked like crap. They won by physically overmatching their opponent.

Thatā€™s not going to work in conference play.

Why do we play down to our competition???

1 Like

For me, Iā€™m personally worried about us being just good enough to not make a move. I see us having issues down the line.

So far from a recruiting standpoint we have landed 3 four year guys who play and contribute if you include Brice. The only reason this season is not an abomination is that we pulled 4 talented players from the portal. Do we need 4 transfers every year just to be ā€œokā€?

Once the portal goes back to non-bonus year numbers, can we replicate this? Can we really reload each year in the portal? My gut says no.

From a defensive perspective, can we continue to play a steep learning curve system when we are making wholesale player portal changes each year?

Will Sanchez change his system up for this new environment?

Ehā€¦ I just have so many questions. So many more than I expected to have in our 4th seasonā€¦

2 Likes

This is why Iā€™m worried about Garcia.

Praying he gets back on track. We need our out of high school recruits to get opportunities and succeed.

We won ā€œhandilyā€? Its a Christmas miracle Tiny Tim!

FWIWā€¦Iā€™m with you 100%

1 Like

Is there anyone who was swayed to an entirely different opinion based on one game?

I think several of you are pointlessly worried about this.

Any decision on Sanchez is going to be body of work.

3 Likes

This.

1 Like

Donā€™t wish for anyone to get fired if they are truly trying and onboard 100%.
I believe Sanchez is. If the team plays well and wins most games that we
are supposed to win, with a decent showing in the Conf tournament, I say he gets
another year. Exisitng contract comes into decision making on this. A lot of
money on the table. IF we have a couple more WTF the losses, I will quickly change my mind- Iā€™m fickle like that. He has opened up the offense and actually made a couple defensive changes. I do think Kalifa goes to far out on the perimeter. Canā€™t get back to rebound, dude was sucking air last night and needed a break.

5 Likes

Threadgill has some of the best defensive stats on the team that is why he is on the court. I think the effort he puts into playing defense may be part of this offensive struggles, but even with those he doesnā€™t turn the ball over. He has six turnovers in 225 minutes played compared to the eight Garcia has in 95 minutes.

6 Likes

I like Garcia a lot but the Wake game was brutal for him. He looked lost and completely overwhelmed. Wake just abused him on D and too many TOs. Donā€™t know his path forward with Sanchez and this team.

Gotchaā€¦ Thanks for the response!

Yeah I think he is going to have a hard time guarding his guy on the perimeter and I think that is kind of a necessity to run the pack line. Heā€™s very talented but Sanchez needs to make some adjustments to help him out on defense. Otherwise we are going to keep giving up those wide open layups and dunks.

Really can you blame us for being worried we bring Sanchez back after a ho hum top 200 seasonā€¦ look at football, we brought back the defensive coordinator after he couldnā€™t stop a coldā€¦ you have too much faith that the AD will do the right thing. If Iā€™m wrong and we fire Sanchez at the end of this season Iā€™ll gladly eat some humble pieā€¦

1 Like