2021 Week 9 - Charlotte @ WKU 10/30 4:00 PM ESPN+

Wow. Whatever you’re drinking…I’ll take a case!!

With this team?

Honestly, what does it matter what we did in the past? Both are different teams.

Reynolds can come back next year. Unless Healy says go away, I assume he would start again.

I’m having a Jack on the rocks. Buy your own.

So your contention is that we can’t win this game? And yes, wasn’t WKU heavily favored the year we beat them 45-10 or something like that. I was at the game and I know they were favored.

I think Reynolds is probably going to graduate and will be tired of getting beat up every week. If he comes back great. I like Reynolds so we win either way. Neither of us knows for sure at this time so we will see.

so then why do you always talk about the past? can’t have it both ways. All your doom and gloom when the game hasn’t even started seems a little misplaced. But then I am not the pessimist that you are and like to believe that games are not won and lost in fan forums.

Correct.

Our defense + our poor play on the road + Reynolds hurt/out + WKU is ROLLING = Not a chance in hell.

It will be a victory if we hold them under 50pts OR keep the loss at less than 21pts.

So much gloom and doom on Ninernation.net. If we won by 30 I think a small minority would still complain about it.
Enjoy the ride and let’s support this team. They play hard for each other and for us.
Go Niners! Beat WKU.

5 Likes

Doom and gloom? I have no idea what you are taking about.

We beat them 40-14 in 2018. That WKU team was 3-9 that year, came into the game 1-5 and had lost to FCS Maine. I can’t imagine we were underdogs at home and that WKU team certainly isn’t better than this year’s team.

We were underdogs to Duke, FIU beat Miami last year. ODU beat VT, we beat a heavily favored UAB team when we were an 0 for everything team. We beat Marshall twice when they were heavily favored. Illinois beat PSU last week. We beat a heavily favored MTSU which a last second catch by Tucker in an improbable come from behind win. We beat GWU when both teams were FCS and we came from way behind in the last quarter. And yes I think WKU was favored by a bit in that game and was also favored to win the East before the season started. I could be wrong though, it’s happened before.

Please for Goodness sake, don’t come to our games and quit pretending you are a fan.

I didn’t know

They were picked to finish 5th in the East in the preseason media poll.

Finally, something correct.

Niners are 1-2-2 in their last 5 ATS and 5 of 7 games this year have been under total points. Charlotte is 5-20 in their last 25 road games.

With all that, if I were to be it, I would take the Hilltoppers and the under.

If we were to win this game I assume it would be the biggest upset in school history ATS.

EAST DIVISION

• Marshall (17)*
  • Florida Atlantic (6)*
  • WKU (1)*
  • Charlotte*
  • Middle Tennessee*
  • FIU*
  • Old Dominion*

Most observers had Marshall, FAU, and WKU battling it out for the East with some separation from the rest of the teams.

The line has went up to +18 after it opened at +15. If you’re a glass half full fan though WKU is a passing team with a porous defense. Our D’s weakness is vs the run. Maybe we can get some pressure and turn them over and if Reynolds is healthy I expect us to be able to score. We’ll need to bring our A game though if we want to pull of the upset.

**Edit my bad MM, though you were referring to WKU’s projected finish this year

1 Like

He was talking about 2018. Not 2021.

I think WKU wins the East this year

1 Like

In 3 conference games we have given up 12 passing TDs and 2 rushing TDs. We are last in passing defense and 7th in rush defense. This could get ugly quick. We will likely see 500 yard passing game. I hope I am wrong.

13th Overall in total run D, 221.1 yards per game. Tied for last in rushing average at 5.6 ypc
6th overall in passing D at 223.6

I used the total season as it is a larger sample size and FIU’s huge passing explosion at the end of that game skews the stats a bit on the conference only totals.

Now part of the reason we’ve given up so few passing yards is people don’t have to often, and I’m not saying our pass D is good. It is however better than our run D.

Also taking statistics out of it for a moment, watching the games it’s obvious that we have to sell out to stop the run and that opens up the big passing plays. If they pass first there is the hope for sacks and TOs, not a great shot but I feel better against a pass first team than a run first, especially if weather is an issue.

2 Likes

I predict the Niners lead at halftime. Will tell you who wins after the game is over.

1 Like

Makes sense. We both agree the D is bad.

I use conference numbers because it weeds out the P5 and FCS games. I feel the CUSA competition is more even and paints a truer picture.

1 Like

In 2018 WKU was a -7.5 favorite. We won by 26. They were 1-4 with numerous close losses. We were 2-3. They were picked to finish ahead of us in the East. As with any game you never know what will happen and the favorite doesn’t always win. Will we? I sure hope so and will be disappointed if we don’t but I somehow believe you would be more disappointed if we were to win. I finally see were you got your reputation on this board. I was giving you the benefit of a doubt. Well done!

2 Likes

Just a tip