2022-2023 Baseball offseason thread

Could but it would be a dice roll…get hurt (tommy john surgery) and you might be out. Do well and yep you could really impact your money…at that age I think I would go…start the dream

Draft is over. We lose McCabe, Furman, and possibly Giesting.

Here are my thoughts on our roster 1 hour post draft… :sunglasses:

We return 6 in our starting lineup. Blake Jackson returns from injury to play LF. Looks like the spots open in the fall will be for 1B & 2B.

C- Hopson
3B - Dragum- 1st team CUSA
SS- Knight - All American 21
LF - Jackson+
CF- Cunningham
RF - Fisher - Freshman All American
DH- Butcher- Freshman All American 21
1B- ?
2B- ?

We lose quite a few arms, but we get Lothes back, return Kramer, Sims, Hansen who started some last season. We return some bullpen guys looking to take the next step and then add in the arms from this recruiting class. The headliner is Evans from Vandy, and Clark the freshman that was on draft radars. The door is not closed on Geisting coming back either.

This fall is going to be exciting to say the least.

4 Likes

Good summary.

You want players that are good enough to get drafted, but I can’t help thinking how nice it would be to hold our core together 2 years in a row, for a change.

Speaking of that, you think we have any transfers?

We just have to keep reloading. Last year at this time, no one here had heard of Cam Fisher, Josh Madole, Will Lancaster, or Kaden Hopson. They came in and made a huge impact in 1 season.

Deadline to enter the portal was July 1. We lost C Jakob Kouneski, OF Hunter Baker, & P Nolan Straniero.

3 Likes

We still have Suarez, correct?

1 Like

Tell Giesting 1.)get some insurance for next year.2.)have a booster with an Insurance company cover it as part of a NIL agreement 3.) come back put up crazy numbers and lead us to the Regionals. 4.) sit back and get taken in the top 4 rounds with some momentum and cash that check!!

2 Likes

Not a bad plan!!!

We are going to have to shift to a constantly reloading model. I’m good with that.

1 Like

McCabe and Furman have signed. Goose has not.

5 Likes
1 Like

Number of draft picks among schools of interest:

TEAM #PICKS
Duke 5
North Carolina 5
South Carolina 5
Southern Mississippi 5
Louisiana Tech 4
South Florida 4
UCF 4
Charlotte 3
Campbell 3
Clemson 3
Coastal Carolina 3
DBU 3
Old Dominion 3
UNC Greensboro 3
Wake Forest 3
East Carolina 2
Elon 2
NC State 2
Davidson 1
FIU 1
Florida Atlantic 1
Rice 1
Tulane 1
UNCW 1
Western Carolina 1
Wichita State 1
2 Likes

I believe Queens University also had their first draftee this year as well. 10th round, pick #307

3 Likes

Davidson’s draftee was Nolan Devos, son of Aimee and what’s his name.

2 Likes

Lots of summer ball news recently. We have 3 more players going up to the Cape.

Cam Fisher is in the Cape HR Derby

3 Seniors are heading up to the MLB Draft League:

2 Likes

Question of ignorance…Is The Cape the place to play summer ball if you’re in college?

Yes, the Cape is where the top prospects go for the summer. Many were drafted and they are sending in more guys to replace them for the rest of the summer.

They made a movie about it, so here is the Hollywood version of the Cape Cod League:

1 Like

sexy jessica biel GIF

1 Like

Question of ignorance…Is The Cape the place to play summer ball if you’re in college?

To expand on Mr. B’s reply: It’s Nirvana for scouts. 10 teams, the two most distant are only 45 minutes apart. Essentially, late afternoon and early evening scheduling makes it possible for scouts to take in portions of 4-6 games a day. Every MLB club posts multiple scouts there all summer, and cross-checkers and GM’s fly in all the time.

Add to this the incredible support that the residents of the host towns provide the players, and you have the makings of the perfect summer college league.

Games are free (unless you insist on playing the nightly 50/50 raffle), and a number of the field’s settings are memorable. I think my favorite might be Cotuit, followed closely by Chatham and Orleans.

3 Likes